Do I need to buy diapers? How much do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning on doing EC with my second baby who is due in august.  I have never done this before, and I apologize if this topic has already been covered.  I would like to be totally diaper free but I don't know how practical it will be when the baby is actually born.  I was very in tune with my first baby's cues as far as breastfeeding and everything else, but I have never tried my instincts with elimination signals.  Is it easy to catch on to your baby's elimination cues?  And back to my original question in the title, Do I need to actually buy any diapers?  How much do I need to buy for a newborn?  6 or a dozen or more?  Less?

#2 of 8 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM

I would definitely have some diapers. Different babies and parents have different cues and comfort levels. For some, the signals are very clear, for some they're more difficult, and sometimes parents just need a break from vigilance.

I don't know on the how many. It may depend on how difficult it is for you to get more.

sillysapling likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I always recommend getting the same number of diapers/training pants that you'd need to get through X days of "average" diapering before needing to do laundry without being stressed out. So, if you can easily do laundry every 2 days, get enough to get you through 2+ days of constant misses. Sometimes EC requires MORE dipes because you change them more often - it's often impossible for an ECer to leave a baby in anything that's slightly wet.

tsfairy, OrmEmbar and sillysapling like this.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

yup, we go through more cloth diapers because of being very aware of our "misses"

My newborns peed every 7 to 10 minutes when awake!

#5 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We EC but still use a fair amount of diapers in the early days.  I like to have a couple dozen so I don't feel any pressure.  I love the cuteness of fitteds but with a nb most of the diapers I wash are barely wet so flats and prefolds make more sense for an investment.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#6 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

It would be great to hear from anyone that started right away with no diapers.  I would love to know your story!

#7 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did no diapers at night with my 1st by about two months old I think but they pee a lot and you will eventually need to sleep. I did try no diapers at some points but I gotta say it started to look less like EC and more like "he just pees on the floor and I clean it up". If you buy used cloth diapers and don't end up using them much you can always sell them again for about what you paid for them. I am actually one that has 60 newborn prefolds (gmd orange) and sometimes that barely got me a second day for washing. Like OrmEmbar said, newborns can pee every 10 minutes.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#8 of 8 Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

I agree you should have diapers just in case. It's handy to have prefolds on hand anyways, just so that you have something to lay the baby on until you're confident with your catches, they also make GREAT rags. My mom still uses the ones she put me in.

I think you can get away with just having pre-folds and using a prefold belt to put the diaper on. http://www.ecwear.com/EC-Wear-Diaper-Belts.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubelin View Post

I always recommend getting the same number of diapers/training pants that you'd need to get through X days of "average" diapering before needing to do laundry without being stressed out. So, if you can easily do laundry every 2 days, get enough to get you through 2+ days of constant misses. Sometimes EC requires MORE dipes because you change them more often - it's often impossible for an ECer to leave a baby in anything that's slightly wet.

This has been our experience as well. The amount of catches we make evens out the more diapers so we're basically still using the same amount. It also makes it easier to use cloth diapers with a heavy/fast wetter, at least in our experience, which is definitely nice. We went from a diaper leak every time we put LO in a cloth diaper to no leaks.

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page