Starting to do EC while out & about tips please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some back story: (sorry for so long)

Started EC with son around 7 weeks old, very part-time. Around 6 months old and when he started to crawl really cut down on trying so much because we kept missing so many and my mom has carpeted floors and I kept seeing the look on her face every time he did so. I still tried to make sure that he would get some diaper-free time everyday and this resulted in us being able to catch most all of his poops on the pot but only pees by chance.

Flash forward to about 5 days ago. Son and I both get a cold and decide to bunker down in the house and snuggle until it passes. I have ample time to allow him to be diaper free and do so completely for the entire day. For some reason I decided to stop bringing the potty out into whatever room he was in but instead ask when I had to go or when I thought he had to (very obvious with pulling at his penis) and leave the bathroom door open and when he has to go, he will walk into the bathroom and stand in front of the potty for me to put him on. We are catching ALL potties while in the house, including at night when I leave him diaper-free and keep the potty at the end of the bed and he wakes up around 2 times to go. Also catching perfectly with pants on (was thinking it was just because he was naked). And he is starting to hold because the one that I "missed" was only really a half miss because I took him after I noticed he was done doing it not on the potty and then put him on and he peed more.

So because we are doing really well, I'd like to keep the momentum going but I need advice on how to go about it while starting to go out and about. We use cloth diapers. Like say if we go to a play group, should I bring his potty? Should I just wait for when he has to go and bring him to the public one? Also, should I put him in a diaper and then take it off when he has to go or just be free in pants and bring a couple extra ones for if there is a miss?

Any and all tips that you found helpful with being out/specific scenarios would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

They make portable toilet covers for potty training, you could get one and start using it at home to get your baby used to it- then you don't have to worry as much about the germs from public toilets. You can also bring the potty, or they make potettes that are basically portable potties, these often also double as a toilet cover so it'd be a good idea to go for that for flexibility. If you're using something your son isn't used to (the big toilet, a potette, etc)- you may want to give your baby some time at home to get used to going on it at first.

http://www.nooneewilga.com/EC/VPPS.html This is what one person did.  With a boy, I think you can use mason jars and such to catch the pees more easily so you could carry less. 

Putting him in a diaper is probably a good idea, unless he won't signal when he's in his diaper. I know that some people who got to the point of 100% or 99% catches still kept their baby in a diaper until they finished off EC and their baby could go to the potty without help. You could also consider training pants, they only hold one pee and are made to be immediately changed so your baby still feels wet, but they protect furniture and such.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

For going out, I made sure I knew where all the public toilets were and I made lots of extra trips to the car in between errands for potty/nursing breaks. We often used prefold diapers tossed into the bottom of a wetbag and pottied them into that. I also had a potty bottle (a large-mouthed spice jar with a locking lid) and would use that when they were older. I always used dipes when out (ones I made that were a little more than a training pant but not like a regular cloth diaper) and just changed them as needed, because I was often too distracted when out (I'm a homebody and really only went out for errands or visiting). At EC group gatherings (like DiaperFreeBaby), we'd bring a potty and had several ECing friends who had potties or potty seats on their big toilets, so we'd use those if needed, too.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I put cloth trainers on my daughter when we go out. They are less than a diaper but more than undies. Don't forget to put a puppy pad or something on your car seat! I got one of the portable potty covers for public toilets but my daughter is not comfortable using a public toilet yet. She can hold her pee a long time so she doesn't have accidents thankfully! I also keep a potty in the car but haven't had to use it yet.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think everybody's answers to this week be different so you will just have to try some things and see what works. At those small ages my kids were afraid of auto flush toilets and public bathrooms in general and it took a while before we could use them. Sometimes I brought a little potty in the car and pottied my kids in the car. Sometimes I planned to change misses asap and didn't worry about trying to potty if it would be too awkward. I had a set of 8 AIO's that I used as our only diapers from about 13-14 months until 2.5 years when we stopped with a diaper backup while out of the house. After 18 months we only had about 1-2 diapers to wash each weeks. I did a lot of pants at home but I just personally wasn't comfortable risking a puddle in a public place.. especially with a baby so small he seems like should be in diapers. People think I am nuts enough as it is wink1.gif

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of the diaper in the wetbag! Seems like a good idea
Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Also I have wool longies that I was thinking may be good to be thick enough to absorb like a trainer-ish but won't leave wherever we are soaked. And they are great cuz it's a diaper cover and pants all together but now there just won't be a diaper under it. smile.gif

Also smart idea with the doggie pad on the carseat!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM

These are all great tips. Checkout podcast 18 and 19 of the Elimination Communication Podcast - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/go-diaper-free-podcast-elimination/id663607202?mt=2. This might give you some pointers also (and you can listen to it :)

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List