How to start EC with 2 week old boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Back when I was pregnant, I read a lot about EC and thought I'd be well prepared for when he was born. We bought cloth diapers with inserts, which we would use only when we couldn't go bare bottomed. However, now at day 15, i'm feeling quite deflated and daunted, partly because he's my first child and I'm still learning the ropes, and partly due to EC logistics.

I haven't managed to do any proper EC pottying yet and he's been in diapers for the most part, except a few hours a day when he goes bare bottomed with just some diaper inserts tucked under him in case of accidents. It's chilly in the house here and we really can't afford to turn up the heat. We're just wearing more layers and keeping things around 15-17 degrees Celsius, with radiators on for a few hours in the morning and evening to keep the house at a reasonable level. This makes it a bit tricky to both keep him warm and to keep his bottom area open enough to be able to catch things in time. Bare bottom time is practical only when the radiators are on. 

Technically, I've caught a number of pees this way (on the inserts, bare bottomed)  and can tell when he's about to go (his little penis stands straight up about 30 seconds before the fountain appears). I've had less luck with poos as he's only going in the diapers, often while I'm in the middle of nursing. I manage to change him pretty quickly though, as he gets very intense and grunty and makes quite a farty racket when he goes, so I know something is happening. 

I guess my question is this: am I at all on the right track, even if I haven't been able to get him to a sink or potty? I try to make the Ssssss sound when he pees during bare bum time. I try to make sure he doesn't have to sit in a wet diaper for very long, though as he's a very sound night sleeper (5-6 hours uninterrupted these days, sandwiched by massive night and morning feeds), I have a feeling he may have to endure a wet diaper for a while-- or maybe he goes upon waking? I'm still trying to figure that out.

What can I do until the weather warms up? I'm in the midlands of England, so hopefully spring isn't too far away. I know he's only 2 weeks old but I don't want to mess this up...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

First off - there is no messing up EC! :D

Sounds like you're off to a good start. It's all about communication and learning each other, just like every other aspect of parenting. And it's always easier when you know more and it's warmer ;-)

My 2nd son had to stay in the NICU (intensive care) at the hospital for nearly 2 weeks so I had to EC him there, where the nurses didn't want to deal with any of it. I just would open up the disposable diapers or keep flat cloth ones under him and potty him into that (the wanted to measure his "output" so I had to weigh everything). When we got home, I was chasing my 4 yr old ((who'd been an EC graduate for a couple of years by then) and managing a house and just pottied the LittleBoy as best as I could.

One cue that's pretty common for newborns is a high-pitched, squealing cry when they need to pee - sounds almost like they're in pain but not quite. I always talked to my kids through the process, that I think they need to pee, try to hold it while we get to the potty, or we're not going to make it, I'll change your pants as soon as we can, etc.

Just keep getting to know him and enjoy him =)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to post an update now that he is just over 3 weeks old and we've had a few successes! He's still mostly diapered (but again, we try to catch it as soon as we see his face scrunching up, so at least he doesn't have to feel it on his skin too long) but is able to have a bit more bare bum time. We had tried to do regular potty sittings after nursing, after naps, etc, but without much success until today- 2 catches, one pee, one poo on cue-- absolutely delighted! Slow progress but the seed has been planted!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Congratulations on your baby and doing EC! We discovered EC with my second quite by accident at 6 weeks when we were giving him naked time to heal a bad diaper rash. I would hold him over the sink as I waited for the water to warm up to clean him, and he started taking that as a cue to poop. We never turned back after that, and he was poop trained but still in diapers for pee after a week or two! Now I am ECing my little girl who is 2 weeks. I caught 3 pops and a pee on her third day!

She definitely does the high pitches squeal when she is going to pee! But, she doesn't always like to be pottied so we are still working on it! Good luck on this adventure! It is so satisfying! And you don't have to go completely diaperless if that doesn't work for your family.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Because he mostly poos while nursing- you can hold him bare-bottomed over something while he nurses. ECSimplified has pictures of people using a plastic top hat shaped thing, you can figure out what works for you.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to post an update on how my little guy is doing at 15 weeks. We've been doing EC a bit casually, in conjunction with cloth diapers and bare bum time when possible. In the beginning, I felt like I was getting nowhere, that it was really chaotic and unpredictable. I bought an app to track feedings and diapers and the data was all over the map. I couldn't read his cues either (and still can't really- or at least, not in time).

However...

I think we're making progress! I've been making sure to potty him on the little portable potty next to his change mat every morning upon waking and every night before bed since he was a week old. Sometimes, when convenient (up to every few hours when not busy), I potty him when I take him upstairs for a change. Sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't.

The other day, I broke the potty. It fell off the exercise ball (where we position it when he goes as it's a good height and easy to adjust the position) and the side cracked open. This was when I decided to just introduce him to the toilet rather than buying another plastic potty.

And he's been going in the toilet every single time now. Like a race horse. Only one wet nappy today (first thing this morning). I'm taking him up every few hours for a go and he's been holding it in for me. I'm really really proud of him.

We're still not ready for no diapers (borrowed furniture, rented house, carpeted floors) but very happy that 1. he's comfortable with using the toilet and knows exactly what it's for at only 15 weeks, and 2. we're going through far fewer diapers now than just a few days ago.

Yay!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM

WOO!!

You might look into getting some EC undewear or thinner diapers, both for ease of removing them (faster than diapers) and because it cuts your washing to have smaller/thinner pieces of fabric, especially when they aren't getting very wet or dirty.

And, remember as you get into the crawling stages that you've set up habits that he WILL remember as his developmental work is done. potty pauses do not equal failure

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
WOO!!

You might look into getting some EC undewear or thinner diapers, both for ease of removing them (faster than diapers) and because it cuts your washing to have smaller/thinner pieces of fabric, especially when they aren't getting very wet or dirty.

And, remember as you get into the crawling stages that you've set up habits that he WILL remember as his developmental work is done. potty pauses do not equal failure
What do I need to be aware of, when it comes to crawling? Are there usually setbacks associated?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 AM

That's great! My little girl is 12 weeks now and is also just starting to catch on to the pee. She has been dry for many naps, and wants to pee immediately when she wakes up. Until now she did not respond to the pee cue, though we were catching a lot of poops. I feel ridiculous putting on these huge bulky cloth diapers now! I also want to look into ec underwear -- maybe I could lay a small prefold into some small underwear? She is in size 6 month clothes already, so maybe the 12 month training underwear they sell isn't too far away. I also just saw a link for how to make some split pants out of footless tights that I was thinking of doing. I also want to convert the 35 onesies in the closet (that we got handed down to us) into just shirts. Any tips from the pros out there on doing that? I was thinking of just sewing a seam around the bottom and then cutting next to it for a very quick and easy fix.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:28 PM

working on developmental milestones always trump pottying so a lot of babes will resist going on the potty or signalling or anything like that when they're working on crawling and walking. It can be a frustrating time especially when you aren't expecting it. I see so many mommas being super excited about potty progress and then feeling like failures when their babes start getting mobile. There's lots of things you can do to help, having easy-to-remove pants, lots of pottys around, regular easy potty times (like after naps) or even nakey time in a place it's ok for them to pee (like the back yard)

Just wanted you to have some front end support if things take a turn in the coming months

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List