Frustrated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing ec for the first time. We had a bit of a late start due to medical reasons, but well within reason at four months.
My DD does not signal when she has to urinate or defecate. She even acts oblivious when the fecal matter is coming out.
I consistently have my hand underneath to notice the exact moment she pees. I make the appropriate psss sound and change her without much incident.
During the times of the day, when I think it's time to pee, I take her to the sink. We end up having a couple successes throughout the day.
However, many times I know she has to go; I give her the cue with a "happy face,". And no success. Then, about 2 minutes after I put her diaper or training pants back on, she decides to go.
Also, when she is tired, she will object to me holding her above the sink. This is frequent, since she resists naps all the time.
I am sure I am not making her self conscious.
Now she is 8+ months! and I feel we aren't getting anywhere. Am I the only one who has a non communicator? Am I missing something? I keep coming across all the moms with just minor adjustments being needed and no one in my situation.
As far as I remember, my DD never gave any clear signals, even after birth. The best I ever got was a 20 second pause if staring off into space before defecating. But, she does that frequently with no BM to follow.
Finally, my DH and MIL are not interested in being involved in ec'ing, to say the least.
I'm on my own with this.
Any advice would be great. Thanks.wild.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Are you still holding her over the sink at 8 months? It may be nicer to have a potty nearby so that she can sit up by herself, it also frees up your arms to play and read books and try to make it a nice experience. She may not like being held over the sink.

You could also try turning the sink on. Not very high, but the sound/sight of running water can help kids go.

One thing that I've found is really important is that they relax. Before the strike, I'd put kiddo on the potty and he wouldn't go and I'd read or give him something to play with and he'd relax enough to go. So if it seems like she's tense however you're doing it, you might want to work on that.

Also, I imagine she's crawling and possibly starting to walk- that is a very rough time for EC, as I've been told repeatedly. Our baby has started a full-on strike for the last month (we got him to poo in the potty once this week, though, yay!), refuses to go on the potty. He'll sit on it for several minutes, get off, and pee on the floor. You can find quite a few recent threads about that.

Our baby doesn't really signal, either. Well, he'll get fussy- but it's no different from hte "I'm hungry", "I want to be picked up", "I'm tired" fussy, so by the time you go through all of that he's already went!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks!
She is small for her age and doesn't mind being held over the sink. I feel I can give positive reinforcement right at the moment she's relieving herself. I've got lots of toys around the sink, and we goof around a lot.
I also do run the water.

Your story makes me feel a lot better. Will keep trying, and one day she'll get the connection. Glad to know someone else doesn't give the easy signals!

Tags
Elimination Communication
User Tag List