EC with our first baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When our beautiful little boy came into this world we spent a lot of those first few weeks naked at home. When we went out, we used organic cotton pre-folds and soon he  was in those diapers pretty much full-time. We did our best to keep him clean and dry, but it didn't always work out. Now that it's springtime and after meeting a real person who has practiced being diaper free since her daughter  was three months old, I'm fully on board!

He's going on six months old and  we have  been consistently diaper free for about two weeks now. We still use them most nights, just a prefold without a cover so I notice quickly when he is wet. We also use cloth diapers when we go out places, sometimes I end up taking them off and letting him go diaper free depending on where we are.

We have our good days and bad days and with every passing day I usually wake up feeling more confident and more aware. It's getting easier and I'm learning to be easier on myself too. Something I have struggled with is that I feel like I should just know and I feel dumb that our culture is so out of touch with our own children. But I'm just a product of my conditioning and my society and I'm learning to be more patient with myself. I remind myself that I do this because I want what is best for my son, for him to be clean and comfortable at all times, and for him to feel loved. So sometimes I put him down and take a step back to breathe and remember to be peaceful and loving no matter what.

Tomorrow we are going to town and I'm considering taking Kalani (our son) diaper free with some extra pants and a couple diapers just in case. It will be the first time traveling with him diaper free, but I feel like it will be a great learning experience for us no matter what happens. Daddy will be with us too so it will be a team effort. With a calm, positive attitude all will be well. 

newmama2b likes this.
#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sounds like you're on the right track! :thumb

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Last night we slept with  our naked diaper free son and I woke up twice to pee him in the bucket I put next to our bed. I nurse him while I hover him over the bucket so that he is comfortable, otherwise he cries and won't pee. So I've learned to nurse while peeing at night. ;) It's a matter of understanding the needs of comfort and nurture. So we had a diaper free dry night! No pees in the bed! After we woke up though, I decided to put some clothes away and while I was being unattentive, he peed on the bed. Ha! He got me. It's a beautiful process.

Note on missed pees - they're no big deal when you have rubbing alcohol!

gypsy83 likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to post another update.. we have been diaper free completely for about two weeks even when we leave the house for hours at a time, in bed in the carseat and everywhere. I wrote a blog about it with tips here - http://regrowroots.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/elimination-communication-the-first-month/

sillysapling likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Thanks for posting!

Tags
Elimination Communication

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page