newborn: 30+ pees per day?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
newborn: 30+ pees per day?!

My baby boy just turned one month old, and we've been EC-ing since 2 weeks. He's my third baby, and with my second we EC'ed very happily from 4 months, so I thought I'd just go ahead and start right from the beginning this time around.

But oh my goodness, does this child ever stop peeing?!?! I have him in prefolds with a prefold belt, no cover, and no pants, so offering pottytunities is quick. But he pees non-stop! I change him after every pee, and I'm going through at least 25 prefolds a day, plus at least five pees caught in the potty/sink/toilet. And he doesn't pee much while he's asleep (which is a lot of the time), so he pees pretty much every few minutes while he's awake.

So here is my question: how on earth can I be watching for his cues when he's either not cuing at all, or cuing non-stop (can't really tell which), while also looking after my 5-year-old and 3-year-old? At the moment, we're missing most pees, catching maybe 5, plus a few poops each day. Is that good enough for now? Until he stops peeing so much?
#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiramccarthy View Post
My baby boy just turned one month old, and we've been EC-ing since 2 weeks. He's my third baby, and with my second we EC'ed very happily from 4 months, so I thought I'd just go ahead and start right from the beginning this time around.

But oh my goodness, does this child ever stop peeing?!?! I have him in prefolds with a prefold belt, no cover, and no pants, so offering pottytunities is quick. But he pees non-stop! I change him after every pee, and I'm going through at least 25 prefolds a day, plus at least five pees caught in the potty/sink/toilet. And he doesn't pee much while he's asleep (which is a lot of the time), so he pees pretty much every few minutes while he's awake.

So here is my question: how on earth can I be watching for his cues when he's either not cuing at all, or cuing non-stop (can't really tell which), while also looking after my 5-year-old and 3-year-old? At the moment, we're missing most pees, catching maybe 5, plus a few poops each day. Is that good enough for now? Until he stops peeing so much?
A lot of people wait a few more weeks to try seriously at EC'ing, bladder is sooo tiny it's almost constant at a newborn. You're doing fine.
#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would never stop offering or trying to meet babe's needs to stay clean & dry, but I would cut yourself some slack (seriously, that is my mantra to ECing mommas {all mommas, really})

Do nakey time when you have a clear head and some time to be together and use whatever back-up is easiest for you when you can't. It's a process of you getting more aware of his communication and him getting stronger, both with holding it and at communicating his needs.

I was 'lucky" in that my 2nd babe was in the hospital for the first 12 days so there was nothing to do with him but sit together and get to know each other. Aside from the stretches the nurses kept him in disposables (which gave my brand new babe a rash!), he got to lie naked a lot in those early days but I would much rather have had him at home in training pants or cloth dipes than nakey in the hospital

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 5 Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks!

Thanks for the reassurance! Most of the blogs etc that I've found describing life with a ec'd newborn seem to have a much higher catch-rate than ours, so I wasn't sure. I guess the people with newborns who pee non-stop aren't the ones writing blogs about their experiences!
#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started at 2 weeks and only caught poops, mostly just to get her used to the potty. Around two months I started to try to catch pees (only when it had been a while and I was almost positive she would go). Two weeks of that and she knew to try every time she was on the potty, and I started cutting my diaper usage in half. But then again, at 6 months she still gives me no cues. I just have to offer frequently, and she has no qualms about wetting a diaper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page