disposable backups - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
disposable backups

At night, DD (7mos now) has gone through phases when she stays dry for the first half of the night and then wakes to pee, and other times when we are up every two hours, more in the mornings, to potty. Last time I got overwhelmed with being up all night pottying her that I put her in a disposable with the intention of letting her just get used to going at night if need be so I could get some sleep. Well, after a week or two of that, I was ready to try again, and it was good for a while, but now we're back to waking up more often than I would like.

It seems that she is willing to go in her "backup system" (diaper), especially if it's super absorbent (like a disposable) if I don't potty her for a day (night) or two. But then, the idea behind EC is to not teach her that it's ok to go in her pants!

Now, we are getting ready to travel abroad for 2.5 weeks, and we've decided to keep her in disposables as her backup 100% (at home she is in cloth back ups 99% of the time), and I'm concerned that she will learn that going in her pants is no big deal.

Thoughts? Advice?

hippie.gifHappily married to Alexstillheart.gif

SAHM to Maya, born 11/25/13 homebirth.jpg

Pet parents to dog2.gifdog2.gif

familybed1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.gifecbaby.gifslinggirl.gif 

#2 of 2 Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my oldest was in disposables 100% for the first 6 mo and then we added some nakey time (or using cloth training pants) at home only, while still using disposable trainers (which are identical to disposable dipes except for having closed sides) away from home (and eventually cloth night time dipes) We offered a lot, and talked to him about going potty. I wasn't great with EC away from home (I'm an introvert and was WAY too distracted) but would take him after meals and such. 2 mo is mostly a blip for a baby, but, once we started EC, I could never just forget that my baby needs to go potty at certain times and ignore that he might be telling me something, regardless of what clothing he was wearing.

Back-up is just that, it's to keep everything contained when you can't get to the potty in time. The type of back up doesn't matter a whole lot in regards to EC (but everyone has their personal issues with different kinds), so long as you keep communicating and don't start ignoring your baby's need to stay clean =)

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page