Getting back to EC after long strike - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-13-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting back to EC after long strike

My LO just turned one. We have been doing EC pretty consistently since she was born, with pretty decent success. However, she has been on a major potty strike for about the last month. We moved 2 weeks ago, which I know didn't help, but even before that she wasn't going -- she just wants to stand and play on her potty and then will pee in her diaper or the floor right after. I've tried holding her over the sink which was working well for a while, but now that just seems to piss her off! Lately we've been catching maybe 0-2 pees a day and almost no poops I really want to get back into it but I don't know how, it seems she has lost the potty pee/poop association and does not seem to mind going in her diaper at all. Suggestions for how to resume EC? Thanks!!
#2 of 2 Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes! Due to the move and baby's age, this is quite common. Unfortunately. But I recently got back on track with EC with my 10 month old and am working on a video to demonstrate what I did for my readers. It'll go a little something like this: do sumo style backup (diaper belt and prefold) for a day or two and feel it occasionally to see when it's wet. Write it down in one of my EC timing logs, or a piece of paper or in your phone, and note any signals or anything else of note, and whether pee or poo. Start timing from waking or feeding, whichever is most convenient. Also note any intuitions that may occur to you around the time you notice she's wet. Change the prefold once wet and repeat for as many hours as it takes to learn her general rhythms. You see, they've changed since last you checked. So spend some time getting to know her natural timing again, and notice any signals or intuitive thoughts (but don't expect either or feel discouraged if either aren't present). After gathering info, begin offering again upon waking and upon being taken out of something. These are called "easy catches" (my EC podcast covers these as well). Then start offering based on the timing you recorded. Find a good SINGLE way to potty, one way, one receptacle or reducer, one toilet, and be consistent. At the very least, close the door to the bathroom and contain it there. Hope this helps!!

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page