3 month old-thinking of starting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was planning on doing the whole ec thing with my first baby, who is now 3 months old. I had a c-section, and major troubles with nursing(which i got thru), so i just focused on that, it was hard for me to even pick baby up, much less hold her over a potty or sink. Plus I was exhausted the first couple months. Now I'm feeling better, and I hope it's not too late to start. My baby doesn't poo at night, and has gone from pooing every diaper change to just pooing 3 or 4 times a day. She used to poo and pee on the change table when I opened her diaper, but now only does her business in the diaper when it is closed. I hope she hasn't already learned that diapers are her potty. I ordered one of those baby bjorn potties, and am kinda excited to start using it. I think baby kinda cues poos already, cause she sometimes blows bubbles when pooing. I have to admit, I loved the idea of baby having a clean bum, and not sitting in her own waste. I also have to admit that I like the idea of a baby potty trained by 1. hehe. Is this bad? Diaper changing is not my favorite activity. I"m not going to pressure her though. Most people I know have kids in diapers till 2 or 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
3 mo is a great age to start, but you should know that the average age for an EC graduate is between 22 and 26 mo or so. You can start watching her cues and patterns now while you're waiting for the potty to arrive, or keep a dipe under her nakey bum and cut her to go into it.

Have fun, stay relaxed and enjoy the journey

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 07-28-2004, 01:21 AM

Yeah it's definitely not too late to start. I had a c/section with my first and started ECing around 2.5 months. My new baby is 1 month old now and I'm only occasionally taking him potty (some days not at all still). We're still recovering and also dealing with some nursing problems so EC isn't the first priority yet.

You can start putting your baby on the big toilet, or holding her over it, while you wait for your potty to come. Just talk to her and explain your intention and she'll get it (maybe not the first time though). Also you could observe her timing to see if there's a certain time she poos every day for example, then try taking her potty at that time.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:59 PM

I'm a newbie to this board, but not to ECing! Our now 4 1/2 yr old ds started ECing at 4 mo when I learned of this. I was concerned that he was already trained to use his cloth diaper for a toilet and that I would have a time "untraining" him from this. It wasn't an easy start as I really had to tune into him and help him communicate, as he obviously was using the diaper exclusively for so long. I remember catching that first pee and calling dh at work ecstatic that this REALLY WORKS! And once I caught his first "doo doo" (BM), I NEVER had another dirty diaper to contend with. THAT alone was so very worth it!

I was so amazed when he finally started some subtle cueing. I think our tenacity to this method really promoted him to respond. As we caught his pees and poos we cued verbally what he was doing (you can also opt to make a sound). He began to associate those words w/ the action, and eventually I only had to hold him over the toilet in position and he would "go." Amazing! He surprised us w/ "graduating" at 10 mo, signing pretty consistently w/ his need to go and little to pretty much zero accidents for days and days. (But as has already been said, this isn't the norm..typically, around 12-18 mo minimum up to 24mo).

So...YES!!! Do start! You're not "too late!" I would encourage you to not only post here and browse archived messages, but to get a resource book such as that wh/ Laurie Boucke wrote, Trickle Treat or Infant Potty Training. The first is pretty compact book of "how to" and the second has more information plus MANY testimonials from which to gleam much wisdom from.

Look forward to hearing how your dd does! And remember, it does require focus and time, but OH! so very worth it!

Best wishes!!

Lois

-----------------------
aka: SnowflakeMom
ds: 4 1/2 yrs, EC grad @ 10 mo!!
dd: EDD 11/3/04
Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 AM

They say the best time to start is sometime before 4-6 months, so you're in the optimum time! And at 3 mos it's a little bit easier because the baby can hold his or her head up, so you can prop the baby on a BBLP (which is what I did with our daughter when we started... she didn't tolerate being held by the thighs over the toilet).

User Tag List