Potty training early/EC??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2004, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I already posted this on the Life with a babe board, but then realized you could all probably help me out more.

My DD is 11 months old and will NOT keep a diaper on. (You don't even want to know what my carpet looks like :LOL) Everyone keeps telling me that it is a sign that she is ready to be potty trained. At 11 months?? (I know my friend's little sister was trained before she was 1, because she saw her older sisters and parents use the toilet so much and wanted to be like them.....I always take Aria into the bathroom with me...related??)

I first learned about EC when DD was about 4 months old, I'm regretting not starting it then! How do I do it?? I can't leave her diaperless because we have carpets. I have cloth to use though. But I only just starting CD'ing so I only have maybe about 12 diapers right now. (That's including a bunch of Kushies AIO, that I don't like because they leak) Tomorrow I am going to go get a BBLP. How should I start this? I'm more concered about her LEARNING than communicating. (The little of EC that I've heard about sounds like you're training yourself to know when your baby has to go....is this true??) All the advice/help you could give me is really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
well we were going great with ec till just the other day when suddenly dd decided sitting on the potty to pee was just too boring and unnecessary-- though she still goes there to poop. now the ec old-timers tell me this is common after baby learns to walk and can last for months. so i think that may be why people who have diapered fulltime delay potty training till after this phase is done. (any thoughts?)

but if your baby is asking for it no reason not to try it, depends on how your household can tolerate it.

good luck

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:58 PM

I would like to hear some basics on beginning traiing (for my 10 month old dd). Now I am just trying to take her to the potty all the time but she is going maybe 2x a day. She does think it is a ton of fun, though! I am sure we aren't doing it consistently enough but would love some advice.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Aria
IThe little of EC that I've heard about sounds like you're training yourself to know when your baby has to go....is this true??
Sort of true. EC is all about communication. Definitely not about learning or training, except that you might need to learn to "hear" what your baby is saying and an EC baby might learn a way to communitcate that is unmistakable. For example, some moms say "pss pss" or some teach the baby to sign with their hands. My own EC baby would say "pss pss" ony when she got exasperated at me for missing her signals (for example, if we were in the car and I didn't stop).

The premise of EC is that babies actually do know when they need to eliminate and that, the same as when they are hungry or otherwise uncomfortable, they are able to tell you. You aren't so much trying to teach your baby a proceedure for using the potty. Rather you are offering an option to avoid the icky feeling of wetting in a diaper.

Maybe try this. Get a potty chair and give your baby a chance to sit on it (maybe put her on it when you go yourself, or before a nap or a car ride). Talk to baby and say things like "You can go in the potty and then you won't have to wear a wet diaper. Isn't that nice!" If your baby does pee on the carpet say "please tell mama when you have to make a pee. Then you can pee in your potty!' I know this sounds a bit itiotic, but babies can understand a lot and talking to your baby is part of the communication aspect of EC.

--AmyB

User Tag List