Elimination Communication - Have you tried it? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Elimination Communication Success?
Never heard of it 21 17.07%
Never tried it, think it's a crazy idea 27 21.95%
Tried it with no/limited success 17 13.82%
Tried it and was successful 58 47.15%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 159 Old 10-11-2002, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little late, but I just had to say THANK YOU .
All of those wee hours that I spent here during the last trimester are really paying off!
Yesterday, I held DS over the sink after a nap...made the "sss" sound (which I've been doing intermittantly since he was born last week), and--he pooped! We nursed on one side, then I tried again...and...he pooped again!
I was sooo excited, I woke DH up to tell him. Even better, DH was excited too .
I just had to thank all of you! I am still recovering from the birth, but after I'm back on my feet, I'm really looking forward to ECing (hopefully) exclusively.
#62 of 159 Old 10-12-2002, 12:10 PM

I heard about EC when my DD was 2months old. I was walking with another member (Woldkill) when she stepped to the side of the road and let her DD do her thing. I was amazed and a bit wary. She told me it had worked for her since her DD was 5 months.
I let it go until last night when I was reading this thread. I decided to do it with my DD this am. When we woke I stripped her diaper off and ran to the sink and started the "pssssss" sound. sure enough- she went and she started laughing. I told DH and he and I praised her. we then lounged around in bed sans diaper (i put a towel underneath her)- I missed one pee (although he caught the signs) and warned me she might be pee'ing. I then waited another few mins and took her to the sink and she went again. I did miss another one, but I am determined to keep trying. How liberating this will feel for her and us. DD is 8.25 months. I will really try but no worries if we slip up.
I wish I had listened to Woldkill when she first told me.
#63 of 159 Old 10-12-2002, 11:41 PM

I've been trying EC for two days now with my 4.5 month old, and it's going quite well. I have caught all three of his poops and lots of pees. I continue to be AMAZED that when I pssss, he often responds by peeing.

I started making the pssss sound to encourage him to empty his bladder, and sometimes he doesn't go, so I was worried I was reinforcing not going by making the sound with no reaction... does that make sense??? I was wondering when it is "safe" to make the psss sound for encouragement vs. indicating he is peeing.

I LOVE this, but it does seem to take a lot of time... maybe we'll get the hang of it fairly soon, as I don't feel like I'm so much intuitive as I am timing... and is that a bad thing? I worry my dd feels left out every time I haul ds to the sink/potty. And I praise him when he goes (are you supposed to?), so I feel like she feels left out. And I keep thinking his legs seem cold.

Anyway, I'm not quitting yet at all... and hope to continue, even if it is just part time or for the times I know pretty sure will work.
#64 of 159 Old 10-12-2002, 11:50 PM

Hi Tara,
Congrats on giving ec a try - it truly is amazing stuff!

Don't worry if you psssss and he doesn't go. If he doesn't have to go, he won't, you're just letting him know that now would be a good time/it's an opportunity. Since you are just starting out, if you notice him pee, make the pssss sound AS he's going. That will help reinforce it.

It does take a lot of time at first. Give yourself time to make this new adjustment. I tell my friends it's like breastfeeding - it takes a while to get the hang of, to get to that point where you can do it anywhere anytime without really giving it much thought.

As for your dd, maybe you can let her help you make the psss sound for the baby, or involve her in some other way?

Praise? I praise my ds all the time, some folks don't make a big deal of it, whatever works for you. And cold legs? Well, ours can get kinda cold too sometimes!

Merika
#65 of 159 Old 10-23-2002, 01:09 AM

bump!
#66 of 159 Old 10-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahleemah

Interestingly, Mothering mag turned down an article 20 years ago from one of the EC pioneers, Natec.... because they felt that they didn't want moms to feel guilty, since we all have so much to worry about anyway. (Which doesn't stop them from doing articles on breastfeeding, circumcision, natural childbirth, vaccinations, etc which could all make moms "feel guilty"...but anyway...) I would rather feel guilty but KNOW my options, rather than blissfully stay in the dark.... but that's just me.
Just wondering Ahleemah - from where did you get the information that that was the reason the article was turned down? I ask because when the question of EC articles in Mothering arose a few months ago I was told something completely different by the articles editor. Perhaps there's some misinformation or a misunderstanding floating around?

#67 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Mosher

Just wondering Ahleemah - from where did you get the information that that was the reason the article was turned down? I ask because when the question of EC articles in Mothering arose a few months ago I was told something completely different by the articles editor. Perhaps there's some misinformation or a misunderstanding floating around?
Cynthia, I am not Ahleemah but I have heard that information personally from Natec herself. I have also heard it from several other people who submitted either articles or requests for articles. That was not the only reason given for rejections, but it struck me as a big one.

I have heard from so many people who have tried to have information about EC/NIH included in Mothering magazine and been given numerous reasons why the magazine is not interested that it has really soured my opinion of it and that has caused me to choose not to subscribe to it nor to buy it. I am also the owner of an EC supported business and I have chosen not to become an advertizer in Mothering. I feel if such an important part of my parenting nad my life is not important to Mothering, that I must not be important to them.

I am grateful for these message boards and happy that the discussion of EC has been "allowed" here, but it has seemed to me to be more of a tolerance for the crazy ECing moms than an embracing of a wonderful parenting option.

Thank you for listening,

Robin Hagerty

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#68 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 12:42 AM

Ah yes, I went back and checked some email and you're right, there is a misunderstanding. I thought it was *Natec* that was given that brush-off, but it was actually *Laurie Boucke*. I don't know the reasons the other three authors that I personally know have been rejected (Natec, Ingrid Bauer and Sarah Buckley) on this topic were given, I should ask them again.

I believe the first time Natec submitted to Mothering mag was in the early 80's, so that 20 -yr figure is still right.

I should mention that I wrote a letter to the editor that was never replied to at all on this topic as well. You can see how it might seem that EC is being studiously and methodically ignored, from my perspective. I sincerely hope that is wrong, because as I have often stated, I love Mothering mag and always have my copies prominently placed for visitors to my home to read! (Just scored a bunch of backissues at a garage sale... YAY!)

I hope that clears it up wrt which author was given which rejection.

Blessings,

Ahleemah
(who is not trying to speak for any of the above mentioned people, but is not sure if they read these boards presently! perhaps they could correct me if I'm wrong....?)
#69 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 12:57 AM

Robin,
just wanted to tell you that the link in your signature has a problem. It has a comma in it so I wasn't able to get to your cite until I noticed it.
thought I'd let ya know
#70 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 01:50 AM

You know, I was just rereading some old Mothering's - the one RE refusing AZT 'therapy' during pregnancy & nursing while HIV+ and the following one with the harsh critisicms of the same.

How can a magazine willing to tackle an issue as totally off-the-beaten-track as nursing while HIV+ be SCARED of EC?????

Tell me, what does EC challenge in people?? Does it worry people because they didn't do it? Mothering supports people who didn't know any better & immunized or bottle fed.

Does it seem like something that can't be done in modern society? Ingrid's book, Laurie's book, Natec's book, Alheemah's website and my website & email list are a STAGGERING testament that this fear is unfounded.

Does it just seem too weird? How can that be in a magazine that's talking about baring breasts in public or staying home with a baby by using the welfare system in a culture that despises both????

What excuse does Mothering have for not publishing a wonderful, informed, supportive article on EC as yet another possible facet of Attachment Parenting?

If its distaste, they need to get over it just as Mothering informs people that they need to get over distasteful outdated concepts of breastfeeding.

If its fear, Mothering needs to draw on the obvious substantial courage it has shown in publishing the HIV articles.

If its a prompted sense of failure, Mothing needs to demonstrate the forgiveness to itself that it has offered to many mothers who wish they'd done A, B or C attachment option with their children as babies.

What gives, Mothering??

To date the only 2 mentions of EC were my 'Letters to the Editor' signed "Rosie" 4 years ago. Then, there were almost no mentions of EC on the web and only 2 books existed.

Now, however, there are numerous books, websites, hundreds of people posting on lists & forums around the world about using EC and how it ENHANCES their bond & attachment with their babies.

No longer can any excuse be made that EC is to controversial (thanks to Laurie & Ingrid for their medical research) or obscure (thanks to the hundreds mommas & papas who post on using it in modern cultures ever day on my list). Even Dr Sears has accepted that its a viable option to conventional potty training and he's HARDLY a radical AP referance!!!

How long with Mothering remain silent on such a wonderful tool for bonding and reducing illness & struggles with babies???

I offer myself up for any interview or article that Mothering may wish to publish with a positive informative stance on Elimination Communication. I know for a fact Laurie, Ingrid & Natec have offered this as well and probably stand ready to do so again.

Contact me, if you're brave enough to tread new ground as you've done so many times before

earthmoon
positiveparenter@msn.com
http://www.committed.to/ec
#71 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanx Lisa, I fixed it!

And I apologize for also mixing up ECing pioneers As I said, I have heard so many reasons from so many that it all tends to run together. Everything else I said above still is true for me, though

Robin~

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#72 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Administrator

My concern is that what is being heard is misunderstanding or rumor and not the actual issues. I will refer this to Peggy O'Mara and ask her to comment on it as she did when a similar question came up about Unassisted Childbirth here on the boards.

Thanks for your responses. I'm sure Peggy will read and respond to them with the concern they deserve.

#73 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia Mosher
My concern is that what is being heard is misunderstanding or rumor and not the actual issues. I will refer this to Peggy O'Mara and ask her to comment on it as she did when a similar question came up about Unassisted Childbirth here on the boards.

Thanks for your responses. I'm sure Peggy will read and respond to them with the concern they deserve.
Dusting off my more-than-a-decade-old Mothering file of rejections, here are a few bits of information based on my experience (I trust Ingrid and Natec will be sharing theirs too). I have emails and office notes to back all this up, as proof that neither rumor nor misunderstanding are involved.

I first wrote Mothering on October 9, 1991, excited about my new book on ec, "Trickle Treat." Mothering was not interested in a review or an article on the topic but of course was interested in paid advertising. We placed ads in the magazine in 1992 and 1993. The reason for rejection in 1991 was "There is no room in the magazine. Reviews for all of 1992 have already been arranged." (A review was not required; an article would have been fine.) In 2000, I sent Mothering a copy of my latest book "Infant Potty Training," but the topic was again rejected.

Over the years, other excuses given to me have included:

-- "It's something else for mothers to feel guilty about."
-- "People are not contacting Mothering about this topic so there isn't any interest."
-- "We see little issue in potty training when it is child led."

Mothering has been contacted by women in many walks of life, including professionals such as medical doctors like Dr. Sarah Buckley in Australia, nurses such as Summer Elliott AAHCC RN BSN, midwives such as Ronnie Falcao LM MS and nurse-midwife Laura Gilbert, and court reporters such as myself; other working moms; SAHM moms; pregnant women; and authors of ec books (Natec aka Linda Penn, Ingrid Bauer and myself). I have copies of emails from several disappointed and disillustioned women who have attempted to have this topic covered. To bring this right up to date, I know of another writer who has either already sent or will soon be sending a proposal for an article on ec, written from a cross-cultural perspective, after she spent time in China.

Thanks for your open and honest approach, Cynthia. We remain hopeful for a change of heart at Mothering and should this occur, I would like to send a copy of the new edition of my book--it contains an even greater selection of favorable Western medical opinions of ec.

Best Regards,

Laurie Boucke
#74 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Thank you Laurie. I have sent the link for this thread to Peggy. She is an upfront and honest individual so I am sure whatever the issue is she will address it.

#75 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 05:48 PM

hehe. Regarding Muttilili post, I know 3 people now who are trying EC after encountering it with my dd. Kudos to those who have the talent to write and a submitted articles to Mothering. With all the activity maybe someone will start to listen. YK, I have actually seen an article reviewing Laurie Brouke's, (I believe) on parentsplace.com.
#76 of 159 Old 10-25-2002, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
just chiming in to say, i'd love to see an article on EC. i think it's completely intuitive and great. my 20 mo old DD has been in undies full time since this summer and seems so much more comfortable and i think feels more in control and like a big girl. we really only halfway did EC, but i'm so glad i read about it here and so glad i don't have to change any more dipes, too!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#77 of 159 Old 10-26-2002, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Having discussed this with a Peggy a bit I think it better to refer you to her directly. The boards are not really the place for us to discuss why an article offered to Mothering for publication is accepted or rejected which I think is the main issue here.

Mothering has run an article on Elimination Communcation in the past and perhaps may do so in the future. So my suggestion is for those who have had their articles turned down is to talk it over with Peggy herself. I know for a fact that Mothering has a full lineup of articles, book reviews, etc. already scheduled for publication well through the next year. So things are turned down for that reason quite often, having nothing to do with the subject matter.

So let's keep the board discussion positive about Elimination Communication for the benefit of knowledge and information about the concept and practice of it and leave the publisher/author issues for private discussion between those it petains to. If you would like to see an article on EC in Mothering, send in a letter suggesting that to the editors - letters@mothering.com

#78 of 159 Old 10-26-2002, 11:37 AM

Cyntha, can you please tell me what issue this article about Elimination Communication was in? I would love to order that back issue and read it.

As for writing in to Mothering, I think people on this board have made it clear that we've been writing in a steady trickle for years, and that hasn't seemed to change Peggy's mind. But, I will continue sending letters. (still awaiting a response from one I sent in Jan 2002 but oh well)

Blessings!

Ahleemah
#79 of 159 Old 10-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Peggy didn't say which issue it was in but you might find it in the articles database on the homepage of the website.

A million fireflies can light up a stadium!

#80 of 159 Old 10-26-2002, 09:21 PM

Well, I looked it up and this is what it says: elimination timing method, 89:11\'9612(L), 91:18\'9619(L), 93:28\'9629(L)

The (L) according to the index page, means that they were all letters from readers. I'm assuming that means they were NOT articles. I do not subscribe and will not subscribe almost entirely because of this issue. Just seems too odd that so many people are asking for an article and the subject is repeatedly rejected.
Kat
#81 of 159 Old 10-26-2002, 11:16 PM

With all respect, the issue is more than why the authors were not published, it is why a topic that so many people here are interested in is repeatedly passed over. I understand that articles etc are scheduled far in advance, but why is this topic not scheduled in after that. Or even better, bumped up due to the readerships' interest!

Please, Please have Peggy look at the interest that these boards have generated. Please listen to the numerous people who attest to the wonderful, AP-style of parenting that EC promotes. Finally, please listen to those parents who wish that a magazine such as Mothering would step forward and show mothers that there is another parenting tool that can help them tune into there child and respond to ALL their needs. As far as I am concerned this is not controversal topic, it is just misunderstood. A letter to the editor printed in 1989 does not serve the readership of Mothering magazine.

I will forward this to the email provided.
#82 of 159 Old 10-27-2002, 11:23 AM

Katambra,

My findings agree with yours. The only references I found to ec appear in the "Your Letters" section (letters to the editor). This is NOT an article.

If anyone can find an ec *article* in Mothering, please let us know which issue, along with the title of the article and page number(s). Thanks.

Laurie
#83 of 159 Old 10-27-2002, 05:39 PM

Inicidentally, Rosie Wilde wrote several of those letters. Those are me. If there really has been an article, I'd LOVE toknow about it! That would be so cool

earthmoon
#84 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Administrator

I will repeat my request again.

Let's keep the board discussion positive about Elimination Communication for the benefit of knowledge and information about the concept and practice of it and leave the publisher/author issues for private discussion between those it petains to. If you would like to see an article on EC in Mothering, send in a letter suggesting that to the editors - letters@mothering.com

To avoid having this thread closed let's please turn this back into a discussion of EC and not Mothering's editorial choices.

Peace everyone.

#85 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 10:46 AM

Cynthia, I believe we were responding to *your* statement that Mothering has already done an article on EC.... searching the archives tells us that this is untrue. on this thread at least, I believe that is why we got off topic.

Blessings!

Ahleemah
#86 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Administrator

The two posts before mine, yes. but the two prior to that are delving again into criticism and accusation. That is what I want discontinued.

#87 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 02:43 PM

Great! I just sent an e-mail to the address provided Let's hope they get enough requests and will do an article...

Well, our first is due in three weeks, and I've read both Ingrid and Laura's books and am ready to give EC/NIH a try. Still a little skeptical but very curious about this. Both books make alot of sense. As I mentioned in previous posts, we lived overseas for awhile (in the Middle East), and I do recall children being potty trained at a very young age, although I don't recall seeing EC in action. So we're open to trying this and I'll post our experiences with it after the baby arrives (I do understand that it's an ongoing learning process for both parents and baby, so it won't be an overnight success, but - hopefully we'll see some progress!)...

#88 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 03:39 PM

Right on Cynthia, I've sent the letter:

Hi!
I would have loved to see an article about elimination communication when I was pregnant! I found out about it when my baby was 3 months old and wish I had learned sooner. As it is, I’m just so thankful that I heard about it in Gurmukh’s mommy & me yoga class and had the internet available to get more information from! Please run a positive article on this most ancient method of communicating with our babies about their most fundamental needs.
Thanks,
Merika
#89 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 06:00 PM

I first heard of EC from reading Darshani's website...

dd was about 9 mnths old at the time, and i never really gave it a good try. i'm also a wohm, so i only have nights/weekends with dd.

but yesterday, one day shy of her b-day, she brought her potty over to me. i said 'oh, you have to go?' and put her on it. she immediately started peeing.

that's just from taking her to the potty/sink once in a while and going "psssss" when i see her pee (we let her run around diaperless too) i got her the little baby bjorn, and she is getting used to it. we never push it on her..

EC just seems like an amazing concept. i hope to be a sahm with our next one and will hopefully try to use EC from the beginning!

thanks to all those trying hard to educate people aobut this!!!
#90 of 159 Old 10-28-2002, 06:03 PM

just sent a letter as well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page