Elimination Communication - Have you tried it? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Elimination Communication Success?
Never heard of it 21 17.07%
Never tried it, think it's a crazy idea 27 21.95%
Tried it with no/limited success 17 13.82%
Tried it and was successful 58 47.15%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 159 Old 11-21-2002, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that should have been little potty not little poppy
lmao
#122 of 159 Old 11-22-2002, 02:26 AM

You can sometimes find the BB potties on Ebay for cheap.... and keep an eye out at garage sales! I love my BB, and want to get the splashproof potty but apparently it's discontinued in the US!!! WAAAAH!!!

Blessings,

Ahleemah
#123 of 159 Old 11-22-2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:
[i] wonder what we'll do as she gets older and I can't just "pee" her outside away from home. [/B]
You can take the potty along and use it in the car, or place it on the changing table in shops and let her use it there.

At home, you could let her try using a child's toilet seat placed on the adult toilet and if she is comfy with that, you could take a portable child's seat along when you go out. Or maybe she will prefer sitting on the toilet *with* you. She can sit on your thighs in public bathrooms.

Laurie
#124 of 159 Old 11-24-2002, 12:50 AM

In a pinch, I've peed ds onto a cloth dipe, and then just stashed it in the diaper bag. (When we still carried a diaper bag) That way he doesn't have to pee with the diaper on him, and I don't have to cart the potty with us.

HTH,

Ahleemah
#125 of 159 Old 11-24-2002, 01:36 PM

Thanks Aleemah, that sounds very do-able. I can't believe how easy this is! Dd is already complaining about diapers on, since she has so much mobility without. I love the increased connection we have since I am listening to her even more. We are sold on EC and I can't believe more AP families don't do it.
#126 of 159 Old 11-28-2002, 02:06 AM

oh WOW! I just read your sig.... BFing your adoptive daughter?
WAY TO GO!!!!!

<getting down on knees doing Wayne's world impression.. "I'm not worthy.. I'm not worthy> LOL!

You go girl!

Blessings,

Ahleemah - who hopes to welcome some adoptive kids into her family someday, and really wants to bfd them
#127 of 159 Old 11-28-2002, 12:43 PM

Thanks Aleemah...I needed that this morning. Dd has this thing going with in and off the nipple, in between the pinching/milking me and I'm a bit sore. Truly though, it is the only way to go! We are quite attached and I can't imagine doing EC without nursing, even though I know they do a form of it in some Chinese orphanages.

Now if I was only cool enough for one of those wacky hijackings...
#128 of 159 Old 11-28-2002, 02:52 PM

Hehe, Ahleemah, another one there! Are you and I some kind of cosmic twins these days? I'd sooooo love to adopt and bf.
Dh is not convinced though, but I'm working on him about that one, too. *lol*

HotMama, I think this is SO great. (Still can't get any emails to you the normal way - weird...)

Love,
Julia
Btw - Ahleemah, want me to send a splashproof potty over there? Could be expensive with postage and all, but...
#129 of 159 Old 11-28-2002, 03:07 PM

I really do want one!!! Can you price it out for me and then I can make the decision? I would love to have a blue one to match our blue "little" potty by BB.

PM me or email me with a price quote... :-)

Ahleemah - who dreamed about adopting a baby last night!!
#130 of 159 Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 AM

hmm...I couldn't answer this poll because there wasn't a slot for me that worked well!
LOL

My answer would be
Never tried it, but I don't think it's crazy. Just not for our lifestyle or preference.

But I'm glad it works for those of you who use it
#131 of 159 Old 01-07-2003, 03:42 AM

Has anyone tried the Starck potty made by First Years available at traget (sounds like an ad eh?)
We have used it and Myles our 9 months loves it becasue it doesn't force his legs closed like most potties and he signals when he has to go when he sees it.
Very cool yellow color and has a stepping stool and a potty ring icluded in the package. Bought our fourth one (one in the car, one at grandmas, one at uncles and ours at home)
Our ec'ing is Great!! Myles signaled for the very first time today and laughed out loud when we brought the potty out for him to use!

Glad to see so many others with good stories:
Erich
#132 of 159 Old 01-07-2003, 04:55 PM

That sounds great! IKWYM about the legs being forced together, that's why I love our Baby Bjorn, it has a good splashguard too for the little firehose! :-)

I think the Starck potties are cheaper than the BB's so are a good option if you want a few of them around the house. I hear tell that tupperware containers work as well! ;-)

Blessings!

Ahleemah
#133 of 159 Old 01-07-2003, 06:18 PM

Okay - I read about EC (two books!) and raved about it to people. Then, the real test came: my baby was born! I tried it when he was less than a week old, and I 'caught' two poops. But I've tried it numerous times since then and only caught one poop (no pee), and he's over five weeks old now. I tried it yesterday and again this morning: he SCREAMS when I hold him over his Baby Bjorn Little Potty. I've tried holding him several different ways, but it doesn't work. As soon as his diaper is on, he poops.

HELP! I really want this to work - ANY suggestions or encouragement is appreciated

Thanks,
Natural Mom (to Nolan, born 12/01/02)
#134 of 159 Old 01-07-2003, 10:42 PM

Natural Mom, I haven't ECed with a newborn but I have some suggestions

How about just carrying a prefold under him and letting him do his thing on that. That way you would notice it right away. Then, when you see him going, you make the cue noise. That way, even if it's still on a dipe, you are helping him learn the association. Or even if you fasten the dipe, don't put a cover on it so you notice right away and he doesn't sit in it.

Does he scream whenever you take the diaper off? If so he mght be cold? Or is he just not liking the positions you've tried?

Have you tried just holding him, diaperless, in your arms in the cradle hold over the potty (or receptacle)? Is that clear? I've read that's done in some cultures for very young babies because they are so floppy. My ds is 7 m/o and still doesn't care for the under the thigh hold you see so often.

Another thing to consider is, it's NOT now or never If it just doesn't work *now* try again in a week or a month or whatever. You are still very well within the ideal time (birth to 4 months). And in diaper free I read that even in some traditional ECing societies they use diapers in the very beginning when the baby is so new and floppy.

I don't have much practical advice because we didn't start til 6 m/o but it's going great and I'm happy So even if it doesn't work now, don't give up forever. Good luck!

P.S., do a search cuz there have been many EC threads lately and some mentioned newborns I'm pretty sure!
#135 of 159 Old 01-10-2003, 12:21 PM

Okay, you just completely said what I was going to say Shannon! So....er....ditto! ;-)

Blessings!

Ahleemah

(for more ideas, come to the BabiesWODiapers group on smartgroups.com)
#136 of 159 Old 01-10-2003, 12:44 PM

Shannon and Ahleemah,

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually, I've tried alot of that - holding diaperless, holding prefold under him, etc. I CAN tell when he's going to poop and either myself or dh will 'grunt' with him (depending on who's carrying him) so he will associate that sound with pooping. The problem with alot of it is: he is now almost 6wks and still has those projectile liquid breastmilk poops! The other day, I was changing him and he pooped - it shot across the bed and left a trail on our comforter

It's nice to know that I still have time to try. I really want this to work

Thanks!
NaturalMom
#137 of 159 Old 01-10-2003, 05:01 PM

LOL! We had that happen with ds once. It was before EC, but I was changing his dipe in the middle of the night. Suddenly there was this explosion! Poop shot out on my arm, the changing table, the dresser next to it and the floor. Thank goodness dh hadn't gone to work yet so he came over holding a flashlight (so not to wake dd) so we could hunt out yellow poop and clean it up in the dark. Ahhhhh, what wonderful memories That was the only time thank goodness and nothing like that ever happened with dd as an infant. To be honest, it was a bit funny at the time too
#138 of 159 Old 01-10-2003, 09:42 PM

Dd hit the wall on the other side of the room three times ( once for me and twice for dh ) during that phase. We put a blanket over everything in the way after the second time...Now that would have been hard to catch!

Tamara
#139 of 159 Old 01-11-2003, 12:30 PM

Wolfgang managed to poo across the room int the hospital once. He caught me complletely by surprise, I only had heard, that little boys can pee very far, but poo?!!
Jutta did shoot very far, too, but I always manged to either catch the poos in the sink (holding her bottom really deep down, so the load hit the opposite wall of the basin) or the poo went into a diaper. No pooing all over the place. As we have carpets everywhere in our rented appartment, I'm quite happy about that!

Yeah, looking at the preview I just realized the signatures are back!

Edited to say, they are only back for the preview. So here we go:

Freddy
ds Wolfgang (11/99)
dd Jutta (07/02)
#140 of 159 Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 PM

bump
#141 of 159 Old 02-19-2003, 05:36 PM

Well due to all the talk around here, we decided to give it a go.

The last 2 days, every time we've tried (granted, only 4 tries), I've caught a pee!!! We've tried after naps, and 10 minutes after nursing.

Now, I guess I have to try more often.

Cori and Julian, 7/19/02
#142 of 159 Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 PM

We tried it when ds was beginning to get familiar with the potty-situation at about 16 months or so. I know, way late, but it actually helped us tremendously. He was daytime diaper free within a month and has remained so. Now, at night, he also remains dry most of the time and sometimes I get up with him if I hear his cues. Great benefit to cosleeping! I don't know if we'll try from birth with the next one or not. Possibly!
#143 of 159 Old 02-19-2003, 07:01 PM

I tried it with Sam when he was just a few weeks old, and caught lots!! I started having some family problems though, and now H is moved out. I may start trying again. I love the idea of being so connected, and ds not ever sitting in a wet or poopy dipe!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#144 of 159 Old 02-19-2003, 09:57 PM

I must admit I read pgs 1 & 2 and skipped to the last page....just wanted to give you ECer's a thumbs-up...

...I don't think I'm going to do it, but I've always joked that I wished I lived in a dirt-floored hut so I could hold bare baby buns all day.

Edited to add that I *don't* think all ya'll live in dirt-floored huts! Just that to the uninitated, like me, ECing reminds me of the way mamas in Africa & India (yes! EVERY mama in every city, LOL!) who are without diapers do it. (Baby riding on mom's back, walking thru the rainforest, mama holds baby away from body for the pee, etc.)
#145 of 159 Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 AM

I too, skipped to last page after reading three pages of great posts. I had never heard of this before and am excited to try it. ds is 12 months- but I have let him without a diaper many times and he prefers to pee without one- I throw a prefold under him to catch it, so maybe I've been doing a little EC and not knowing it. I would like to wash fewer diapers, for sure!

I wish I had heard about this before!!!! I am amazed at how many people have had success with it, reading these posts.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#146 of 159 Old 02-20-2003, 12:57 AM

Does holding dd over the sink to pee before I put her in her bath tub count I often know she's about to go as soon as I start the water running, and often hold her over the sink just in time.

I'm afraid this is as close as we'll get to EC, though. While I don't think it's crazy, I just don't think it's for us to try full time.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#147 of 159 Old 02-20-2003, 02:40 AM

We've been working on EC since DD was about 4 weeks old. Unfortunately we've hit some speed bumps along the way: the hustle and bustle of the holidays set us back, then I took a break after DD started waking hourly (or more often!) at night for 2 weeks and I was just too exhausted to deal with it. Our results have been fair; I don't have a certain percentage catch rate consistently, but I view very catch as a success.

I tend to be a bit uptight sometimes with doing something "right" and "successfully", and after much reflection, I realized this was negatively affecting DD's and my EC; I was putting way too much pressure on myself over misses, and that bad vibe was in turn causing me to miss more. I notice when I relax more, I tend to catch more.

I also think DD's night waking is probably at least half due to needing to pee. We haven't gotten a potty yet, but need to. DD doesn't like to be taken to the bathroom to potty at night or early morning, but I think a potty in the bedroom would do the trick.

DD's now a few days shy of 4 months old. She can still go up to 20 times a day She's definitely a frequent eliminator!!! I probably need to do a diaper free day to enhance our communication; I'd origionally planned to do that this week some time, but we got busy with birthday parties and errands and such.

I'm really glad to see so many EC'ers here! I originally learned the term on another message board site, but I really learned what it was about from Ahleema's, Laurie Boucke's, USAmma's sites and the EC threads here when I was in my lurking days. Thanks to you all--I've definitely learned from your experiences!
#148 of 159 Old 02-20-2003, 03:46 PM

I wish I had found this thread sooner!

We had heard of EC before, and I've been quite interested. Ds (17 months) just got a diaper "rash," or the closest thing to one that he's ever had, because I was using paper diapers: I should have known better! Anyway, I've been letting ds run naked through the house for the majority of the day for the past week or so.

I haven't really being doing EC, but I've sat ds on the toilet, and on his potty chair with no sucsess. I have been able to catch him "in the act" everytime, and I think he understands now. In fact, Just now he started to pee on the floor, and he stoped himself when I said something and we went in and sat on the potty chair, but he didn't do anyting
#149 of 159 Old 02-20-2003, 05:22 PM

tinyshoes & Rabbity:
This is a loooong thread now, isn't it? :-)

tinyshoes: yes! exactly.. this *IS* what mamas all over the world do with their babies, and have done for bazillions of years. It helps to remember that diapers are a relatively recent invention, globally speaking... much like a microwave or a car, they are great convenience items, but not 100% necessary to a happy life!

busymomto5: sounds like EC to me! :-) It doesn't have to be full-time, there are no rules! Even one less pee against their skin per day is worth it! My mom did a sort of EC with me, she would put me on the potty for fun at 4 months and I was regularly pooping on there from then on. Whatever works...

Karen: repeat after me "oooohhhmmmm!" ;-) Relaxation is the key....

lunar forest: the number one thing I hear moms say about EC is "Why didn't I hear about this sooner!!!"

Blessings!

Ahleemah
#150 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 06:21 PM

I also read about 3-4 pages then skipped to the end.

I am truly curious, which never translates well in print--comes off as judgemental, and I totally don't mean it that way, so hopefully everyone will cut me some slack!

I never heard of this concept before reading on the boards here. I have to admit, if I hadn't read about it here, I would have thought it was some Babywise kind of thing. I don't understand how it is linked to Attachment Parenting in the way that I understand the concept of AP.

I totally respect everyone here and truly believe I am like-minded--natural delivery, extended breastfed, co-sleeping, etc. etc. and now cloth diapering, but I am lost here--not sure why someone would want to do this and what is the benefit to baby.

Remember--just curious here & want to be educated--not being judgemental & don't mean to start any arguments or make anyone feel defensive!

Thanks,

Donna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page