Elimination Communication - Have you tried it? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Elimination Communication Success?
Never heard of it 21 17.07%
Never tried it, think it's a crazy idea 27 21.95%
Tried it with no/limited success 17 13.82%
Tried it and was successful 58 47.15%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Donna, and welcome to the discussion EC fits well with AP practices because it's all about tuning into your baby and responding immediately to her or his needs. At least, that's how I see it fitting into the AP philosophy. I'm sure someone else could go into more detail about it, but that's the short of it from my perspective
#152 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 06:37 PM

Attachment Parenting is about responding to your baby's needs, believing that their cries mean something, and getting in tune with the needs on an intuitive level. (This is my sorta definition, let me know if you disagree)

Taking the *other side* of this first, I believe that diaper-training is NOT AP because you are not responding to the child's inherent need to eliminate and not soil themselves. Instead, you are providing a place for the child to pee and poop that is held on their body, and (often) is left on them for (sometimes) hours at a time. The frequent topic of absorbancy comes up here... what we're saying in effect is "how long can I get avoid changing the dirty diaper... how much pee can I pack into it".

I believe Elimination Communication, or Natural Infant Hygiene, is AP because at it's most basic, it is responding and being in tune with your child's needs. Just as mothers who practice AP will nurse their children when they need to nurse, and not on a schedule, so EC mothers respond to their child's need to eliminate as it happens, using a combination of intuition, communication and timing (like knowing that they usually pee after getting up from a nap).

Also, Attachment Parenting means to me, things that naturally flow from being human.... things that fit with our biological nature. Because EC was the ONLY thing available to mamas from the beginning of time, because it is *still* practiced all over the world by more "primitive" peoples, and because diapers are a modern invention of convenience, I believe it is biologically what babies are conditioned to expect.

I would further turn around your statement "why would someone want to do this" and "what is the benefit to baby" with "Why would someone want to diaper-train their baby" and "What is the benefit to baby of using diapers?".

It's a real paradigm shift, I'll admit. Most women today don't even know that this is what women have been doing for bazillions of years, all over the globe, so the possibility of something other than diapers wouldn't have occured to them.

Thanks for asking the question.. I'm sure many other mamas out there are thinking the same thing.

blessings!

Ahleemah
#153 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 06:43 PM

This thread is getting toooooooooo looooooooooong:

I moved it to "EC and AP"

See ya there!

Ahleemah
#154 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 07:31 PM

I nominate this thread for the archives.
#155 of 159 Old 02-21-2003, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't vote. I don't do but not because I think it is crazy. i juts am too lazy. It seems much easier for me to change a diaper. Also I am emotionally attatched to my diapers and even enjoy the laundry. How sad is that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#156 of 159 Old 02-22-2003, 04:10 PM

lilyka, I didn't want to say that because I thought I would sound crazy! I really do enjoy washing diapers. I have been trying to use EC with ds (17 months) the past few weeks because the plastic pants that we we using have died, and we cannot find a place near us that has them in stock. (There are some stores that carry them, but when they run out they don't get more for a while.)

So I've been doing it out lazyness.
#157 of 159 Old 02-22-2003, 04:21 PM

Where is this "EC and AP" thread? I cannot find it! I want to join you!
#158 of 159 Old 02-22-2003, 04:34 PM

here's the link...
http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=43507
It was on page 2 or 3 on my browser, so many new topics come up here threads get pushed off the first page quickly!
Steph
#159 of 159 Old 02-24-2003, 10:12 AM

This thread has been closed, please refer to EC and AP for more chat on Elimination Communication and how it relates to Attachment Parenting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page