swaddling question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-11-2005, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. This is my first time posting here. I really want to go diaper free, but my 9 day old likes being swaddled much of the time. I'm sure she will need this less and less as she gets older and used to being in the world, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice about ECing with a swaddled baby.
Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 02-11-2005, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
well all i can say is you'll be changing lots of blankets. how is the communication going so far? suggetion start with the goal of ec, using dipes (pref cloth) if need be, and then slowly ramp up to diaper-free, keeping communication as top priority. sling helps too. good luck.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. DD is swaddled to sleep, so we aren't really communicating at all while she's sleeping. When she's awake and I think she has to poo I hold her in a squat and signal her. I'm thinking that if I can learn when she has to poo I'll be less scared to keep her bum uncovered (had to scrub poo out of the carpet today). Sadly, we aren't really communicating with pees because we're using disposables right now, so I have no idea when she pees. (Not too happy about this).We live in an apartment without a washer and dryer and its too overwhelming for me to do laundry at the community facilities every day with a two week old. On the other hand, I planned on not using a diaper service because we were going to go diaper free, so we wouldn't be needing it... now I'm wondering, though. I'm just feeling a little crazed with the new baby, and thinking about trying to EC is making me feel more stressed out, so I guess we'll just take it slow. I'm still learning how to comfort her and breastfeed her and sleep with her, and don't feel like I can keep track of ECing too. But then again I feel guilty about keeping her poor bum diapered in evil disposables. It all gets easier, right? LOL.
#4 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 AM

I think easier is a relative term! I suppose some things were easier as my DS got older, but he brought in a whole bunch of new troubles to replace the old ones! Then of course DD came along with her set of things to work thru, but mybe I am just a slow learner.

I so think you shoud not stress it. and if you really can afford it cleaning the carpet might be easier on your conscience than the diapers, but relax it is ok if you don't catch em all! I couldn't imagine having a baby without a washer and dryer, I do two loads a day without diapers! so you already have me beat .
#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I know I really need to relax about the whole thing... if I'm stressed how can I possibly communicate with her? DH bought a little steam cleaner for the carpet yesterday so I can experiment. We hung out with no diaper for a while yesterday.. maybe I'll add a little more time every day as I relax into this more. I've given up on wearing clothes when I'm at home with her, so that should cut back on the laundry a bit!
#6 of 8 Old 02-19-2005, 08:46 PM

Clothing and laundry issues - don't be afraid to "reuse" things that were peed on a few times. Poo is one issue, but pee dries, so put her on a blanket and then let it dry and use it again, put her in the sling on a diaper and don't fasten it, or fold a blanket up under her so it's like a cloth diaper, and just watch for pees.

We were doing great, then I got the flu, so 3 weeks of great EC and a week of not, but hopefully we'll get back to the signals and potty soon.

L

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#7 of 8 Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Thought of another thing... the "Happiest Baby" guy says that swaddling is only important to keep the arms contained, that when they flail around it upsets baby and she cries, but when they are snuggled tight they can't bother her, blah blah... why not take a blanket and cut it up, making a swaddle for her arms but leaving legs free?

For me, I know I can EC at night but it's exactly every 3 hours for us, and it takes nearly an hour to nurse so I'm getting less than 2 hours of sleep on that schedule - but she stays dry almost all night and uses the potty every 3 hours... so I can continue this and not sleep, or I can swaddle and get 3-4 hrs. of sleep and a very wet baby when we wake up. Either way someone loses, and it's a decision I'm struggling with right now. I really really really enjoy giving her the benefits of being dry and comforted, yet I really need the sleep sometimes too!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#8 of 8 Old 02-21-2005, 11:41 PM

It does get easier. Soon (in a month or two) you will see she has a "schedule". I didn't worry so much about using dipes in the beginning. I just held him up every change which was every other hour or less. We are getting most of his poops these days and the diaper-free times are getting longer. He is 5.5 months old now. Just go little by little. We still swaddle, according to Dr Karp and we don't wrap his legs. Also for swaddling blankets we went to Ben Franklin's and bought cheap lightweight fleece and cut it to size 36"x36". Cheap and easy to keep clean.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page