Starting EC w/ 10 mth old, any tips on reading pre-pee cues??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-09-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! I can't believe I have been hanging out at the diapering board since before DD was born, but never checked out EC!!!! And of course, it was right when MDC went down, so I have been checking like a hawk, awaiting it's return. I am committed to making EC work, I am tired of washing diapers!!!

HHHHelp!!!! I can't read her signs before she is going to pee, just when she does it. So I do the 'tsss' sound as she is going, change her immediately (she is wearing loosely pinned flats, no cover, or no dipe at all), and watch her for the next pee. Any tips on reading her? I am pretty much sitting on the floor with her just watching.

TIA!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-09-2005, 05:11 PM

I'm sure some more experienced ec'ers will have good tips (I'd like to hear them too). In the meantime, what I have been doing with my 6mo old since we started EC about a month ago, is more of a timing thing--of course we potty right after naps--and then try again every 5 - 10 minutes for a while, we go after nursing, and if it's been forty or so minutes since the last pee. Of course I take her to the potty more often than she needs to go and I miss more than I catch because I am vigilant only in fits and starts. : I am still learning, but maybe it will help to hear someone else's routine.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#3 of 7 Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi,
I started when DS was 9 months -
Initially started because he would pee standing up at the bidet every time I changed (took off) his diaper. So... my ds liked to pee standing up and liked to pee in that particular room (the bathroom). If you always take her to the same bathroom to pee-poop, you may notice her seeking out that room. You may also notice that the "signal" is that she gets quiet - seemingly no signal at all (quiet concentration)... some babies squash up their face - When we were at the beach ds would always go over to the same beach chair, hoist himself up to standing and pee there.
As mentioned - timing is super important at this stage. For us - about 3-5 minutes after waking (sooner makes him upset - needs to cuddle first), soon after eating, sooner after nursing, as soon as you walk in the door if you go out. Also every time I take DS out of the stroller- car seat - back pack - etc.. after a long trip, walk... I try. From the very beginning of EC at 9 months he stopped peeing - pooping in the stroller, carseat - ebtirely... and would wait until we stopped or else cry until I took him out and peed him.
hope that helps.
Good Luck!!!!!
Rocky
#4 of 7 Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, she does get that quiet seriousness, but she does that a lot, so it is hard to figure out which is which! I have to figure out the difference! Timing works in the morning, but in the afternoon she pees much less and I can't predict it at all.

We have been doing this for 3 days, and have gone out once and she didn't pee until we got home and put her on the potty. I was so proud! (and also I am wondering if it was a coincidence). I am happy to hear that maybe it isn't.

The one thing I can't figure out is if we should use the Little Potty all the time, or use the bathroom. What happens when we go out, ya know?

I am happy to say it is going better than I expected.
#5 of 7 Old 03-11-2005, 04:56 AM

I don't think it was a coincidence. My ds took to it immediately and was (and still is) better when we were out of the house than at home.

As for the potty, I'd use any means possible. We keep a little basin next to the bed which he uses during the night (I hold him over it) - When we go out we use public bathrooms or go behind a tree - I also used to carry a little fold up potty which has a disposable plastic bag attached to it but found it was easier to just go behind a tree than to deal with it - dogs do it after all.

Also if you haven't already checked out the resources at the top of the list, sign onto yahoo groups natural infant hygiene and Elimination communication groups. There are over 1000 members at EC group and just reading the digests you can soak up soooooo much info. I don't know why this board is not more popular - so check out those resources for much much more info.

rocky
#6 of 7 Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I did sign up for yahoo ipt late starters group, and i tried to read some, but i like the board format of mdc much better, sooooo much easier to read and follow. i wish this board was more active! maybe if mdc had an article in the magazine.

You are probably right about the potty, i just need to teach her to do it w/o the potty (behind bushes, etc) eventually (after she gets the hang of the potty, maybe when she is walking outside this summer. but i guess instead of a diaperbag full of cloth, i will just have a bag with a potty and a few flats or trainiers or something, it will be about the same size i guess!

I have to give an update because I am so proud of DD. Last night she was in a loosely pinned flat because i wanted to know exactly when she peed, and tried to potty her twice but both times she got all upset. so, i resigned myself to her peeing our bed. BUT!!! we woke up this morning, she was dry, i showed her the potty, she got all excited and let me put her on, and, tah dah!!! a really big pee! I can't believe she can hold it all night, and she nursed 3 times!!! I can hardly believe it.
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 PM

I can't agree more that the format of this board is so much better - but almost no one reads it and or participates in it... don't know why. What I do at the yahoo boards is sign up for the "digests" (e-mails of the 10-25 latest posts) - i just read thru some of them and throw the rest out. Just reading through the posts, in any order is a big help.
The other thing you can do (since I read in your post on the other board that you participate in the diapering boards) is post your EC success on the diapering boards -get others interested. I am so amazed to turn on my computer, go to the diapering forum and see 38 viewing! Everyone talking about diapers but not thinking about EC - it must just seem so crazy and far fetched that people just don't even want to consider it... I was this way with DS1. Maybe if people hear from someone they know from the boards that you're doing it, they'll give it a shot or at least a look. Unfortunately there is not enough info here at mdc to really get people going.
Also congrats on your awesome start. My ds still needs to pee during the night - we did have maybe a month where he stayed dry all night but have regressed back to one or two pees in a basin next to the bed. Hopefully soon back to dry at night! keep your fingers crossed.
Keep up the posts on your progress. It's wonderful.
Rocky

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page