All those ECers - how are you doing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-13-2002, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I posted these questions on my German EC list about a week ago and it was very interesting to read all the different answers. So I'm doing it here, too. Here we go

Age of your EC-child

We started at...

Generally speaking we are doing...

How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?

Which positions/receptacles do you use?

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers?

How are you doing away from home?

What are you doing at night?

Who takes baby to the potty?

Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone?

Other new insights

What do you like most about ecing at the moment?

Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?

Looking forward to your answers,

Freddy

ds Wolfgang (11/99)
eced since 2 months old
"grad" at 20 months

dd Jutta, 07/20/02
eced from birth

Our website on ec:
http://www.s-line.de/homepages/bradfisch/eFamilieEC.htm
#2 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 12:16 AM

This is a bit long, but here goes...

Age of your EC-child: 5.5 months

We started at... Hmmm. I think about 6-7 weeks ago.

Generally speaking we are doing... mostly mornings and evenings. Sometimes during the day too, only when I'm home.

How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees? Well, I think it's *mostly* timing. I have gotten to know his schedule fairly well, and I rarely miss a poo. He generally poops in the morning (5:00 am-- ugh) and wakes up fussing to go. He toots before pooping too. I regularly catch pees, but not always. I do find myself taking him to the toilet quite a bit. I wish I had more intuition, but I don't feel very intuitive about ECing.

Which positions/receptacles do you use? I hold him over the potty or sink (which I think is kinda gross, so I'm hoping to get a Baby Bjorn potty soon). I'm lazy since the sinks are closer and I hate hunching over a toilet. Plus ds loves to play with my hair when I put my head near his and make the psss sound. I hold his thighs.

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers? I use cloth diapers, but would very much like to try something that has an opening. Then I'd do it more than mornings/evenings. A friend told me to use cheap Target sweats and cut holes in them, but I haven't spent the $$ on it yet.

How are you doing away from home? Don't really try it. When the weather was nicer I hoisted him over a median at Target. He peed!!!

What are you doing at night? Cloth diapers. I may try (and want to) do it at night, but I am SOOOO exhausted that the thought of moving more than an inch just doesn't excite me. Sometimes I wonder how I even wake to nurse him.

Who takes baby to the potty? Me. Dh has on occasion, but I don't think ds peed.

Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone? I don't have many when I'm paying attention to him. But for example, when I cook breakfast for dd, I put ds in a seat and I can't monitor him. I have an occasional accident otherwise.

Other new insights... I do feel closer to ds regarding elimination than I did w/dd. Now I realize I didn't even know how much she ever wet since she was in disposables. I love doing this, and I'm *amazed* that it is effective.

What do you like most about ecing at the moment? I love the very few dirty diapers I have. I love that ds seems to love to go pee and poo in something where he doesn't get soiled. I swear I do think he likes it.

Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it? NOT AT ALL. I am sooo excited and glad to try it.
#3 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 12:19 AM

Age of your EC-child
-- 12.5 months

We started at...
-- 2 weeks old

-- Amazingly!!!! 100% diaper free

How do you know your baby has to go?
-- Combination of timing and his squirming signals!

-- Baby Bjorn potty and Flip n' Flush. Held under the thighs or sitting on the potty.

Do you use diapers or training pants?
-- We used to use prefolds and snappis.

-- 100%

-- naked bum, no cloth underneath anymore

-- both myself and dh (thank goodness!!)

-- one or two a week, when I'm on computer or on the phone.

Blessings!
Ahleemah
#4 of 26 Old 11-15-2002, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Finally answering my own questions now. Thank you to all those that already did their answers - I enjoyed reading them very much.

> Age of your EC-child
16 weeks

> We started at...
birth

> Generally speaking we are doing...
great. Even when we have days of many wet diapers, we still get a lot into the potty. And I think her last poo in a diaper was more than a week ago - with 2 to 5 poos a day!

> How do you know your baby has to go?
> Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition?
> Is there a difference for poos and pees?
Timing doesn't help much with Jutta - she will need to pee after 15 or 60 minutes and there is no real pattern to it. After naps you can count on her having to go sooner or later, but that's about it. But we get by with signalling and intuition very well, plus she is more and more able to go "on command", even if she does not really have to go, so I can "pee her" before leaving the house etc. Her signal for having to go is, that she gets very agitated. I can even put her on the floor and work at the computer were I can't see her, because there is the bookshelf which seperates our computer-corner from the rest of the living room. And I can hear when she starts moving - and breathing, too - in that hectic I've-got-to-pee way, walk over, undress her, if she's not bare bottomed, and hold her over a bowl. Although I can't tell you were the difference in her signalling lies, I usually know in advance if Jutta has to pee or poo. When she's in the sling, those pre-pee-movements are even more obvious.
Two weeks ago we were visiting dh's aunt. As she knows and applauds what we are doing, I was able to take Jutta to the toilet as often as necessary without feeling awkward. Suddenly Jutta, who had peed just before started getting restless on my lap. She leaned this way and that. I offered the breast, but she didn't want to nurse. I was talking with dh and the aunt and not really paying attention to Jutta, but finally it dawned on me: "Do you have to go again?" I took Jutta to the toilet and instantly she let go of a big poo! Jutta was obviously relieved and the aunt very impressed. We went home with Jutta in the same dry diaper she had arrived in.

> Which positions/receptacles do you use?
- A little bowl, I hold her over it between my legs, holding her tighs. Sometimes she sits upright, sometimes she's more in a reclining position.
- In the sink. I put my thigh over the corner of the sink, place her back against it while holding her legs. Very comfortable for both of us.
- Sometimes the toilet, either with her being held between my legs while I'm sitting on the toilet, or I sit across the front part of the toilet, more or less sitting on only one tigh, and leaning her back against my leg, like we do for the sink. I only have to move her upwards a bit to have her lying on my lap for wiping that way, very pratical for puplic restrooms.

> Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers?
We still use diapers a lot. During the day covers which resemble ME velcro closed covers with just a simple flat diaper folded into an rectangle inside. At night self-made fleece tie-on covers with a flat inside, too. This is not really waterproof, but works well enough.
But I let Jutta go bare bottomed for a bit almost every morning and usually dress her in undies and fleece pants after that. Only when they get wet, we use diapers. Sometimes this doesn't happen before late in the afternoon, and once she didn't wear diapers all day that way. When I've got a good day and don't mind always taking care to put Jutta down only on surfaces that don't mind a soaking, we do a second or even third set of undies + pants.

> How are you doing away from home?
Very well, if I'm not in a situation were I feel embarrassed to take Jutta to the toilet. But more and more of my friends, or people at playgroup etc know what we are doing, so it gets easier and easier. We even went shopping to the stores around the corner without a diaper a few times - usually with Jutta asleep in the sling and therefore not having to go.

> What are you doing at night?
When Jutta wakes, I get her from her crib and take her to my bed. There I nurse her, until she lets go of the nipple. Then I carry her to the bath, were we have a nightlight. I put her on the washing mashine, take pants and diaper off, hold her over the sink. She pees, in the first weeks she also pood most of the times I would take her at night. I wipe and dress her again, put her back in the crib. When I'm finished going to the toilet myself, she is usually already asleep. As Jutta doesn't nurse to sleep and also can always wait to go potty until she is finished nursing and as I don't really mind getting up at night, walking around and going back to sleep as soon as I'm back in bed, this worked really well for us right from the beginning. In the first weeks the whole manouver would take about 45 minutes, because Jutta took longer to nurse and she also needed some cycles of poo-wipe-poo-wipe before she was finished, but now we are done in about 15 minutes and I also sleep through the nursing part, so I don't loose much sleep.
Last week Jutta slept without diapers and without an accident for 7 nights in a row. She even slept 7 hour stretches a few times, woke dry to nurse first and only then would have to pee. She wet the bed 2 nights, then was dry again last night, when I used a diaper because I was sooo tired with my stuffed nose and cough and all. She's sleeping without diapers again tonight.

> Who takes baby to the potty?
Me. Dh doesn't feel confident enough to try yet. It was the same with Wolfgang, he started taking him, when Wolfgang was able to sit on the potty unsupported. Maybe he'll try a bit earlier this time.

> Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone?
Anything from 0 on exceptionally in-tune-days to 8 or so on wet days. Most accidents happen in the evenings, especially the time I trying to get Wolfgang to go to bed. All of us are also tired at that point, which does not improve communication. We usually have more accidents on weekends, too.

> Other new insights
I couldn't do it any other way now, I think. I've got 2 months total of "just diapering" experience with Wolfgang and from then on only ec-ing experience, so "just diapering" has become a rather strange concept for me. It's like somebody would tell me to breastfeed according to a schedule, because it was much easier not to have to watch baby all the time wether it might be hungry and not having to interrupt whatever you are doing to nurse. Easier? Bah!

> What do you like most about ecing at the moment?
Of course the communication and in-tuness. I also found that Jutta has a very sensitive behind, if she poos in a diaper - and I change it immideately of course - her bottom will be slightly red for two days. Fortunately we only have a poopy diaper about once a week. I suppose without ec we would constantly be struggeling with terrible diaper rashes.

> Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?
Sometimes if I try to get Jutta and Wolfgang down for a nap at noon. We "family-bed" for our daily nap. When Wolfgang is finally half asleep, Jutta starts to wriggle, because she has to go. As silently as possible I reach for the pee-bowl and poof - Wolfgang is wide awake: "Mama, what are you doing?". Grrr... This repeated 3 or four times and finally after 1 1/2 to 2 hours I give up my futile attempts to get Wolfgang to sleep and to get a little nap myself.
On the other hand I don't know if Jutta would just peacefully pee in her diaper and go on sleeping. Plus without knowing of ec most probably I would still be putting Wolfgang in a diaper for naps and especially nights, like I see my friends doing it with their 3 year olds.
#5 of 26 Old 11-15-2002, 01:46 PM

Age of child...
11 months

We started at...
3 months

Generally speaking ...
We love it!

Regular poo every morning, makes poo face or squeals when she needs to go.

Baby Bjorn Little Potty. She resists going in other recepticles

Cloth diapers + Bumpy wool or diaperrap covers

She wears a diaper when we go out, but we bring the potty when we travel.

Cloth or occasionally disposables

Mommy, daddy or grandma.

She wears a cloth diaper to catch pee, but hasn't had a poo accident in over a month.

Other new insights
It's not necessary to go all the way with the bare butt for EC to work just fine.

We don't have to wipe up poo. Also, daddy and grandma love it when they recognize she needs to go and help her to the potty. They feel like they are really communicating with her.

On the contrary. I feel like diaper manufacturers are covering up EC the same way formula manufacturers try to discourage breastfeeding. The capacity of a baby to communicate her needs is far beyond what the books tell you.

--AmyB
#6 of 26 Old 11-15-2002, 06:15 PM

Ooo. I am so excited to find a good EC thread here!

Ursula is 11 months. We started when she was 5 or 6 months... and, having started so late, I think we are at a disadvantage. We have had mixed success, and maybe yall can trouble-shoot are situation.

For a few months, while her Pakistani grandma lived with us, she put Ursula on her Baby Bjorn little plastic potty every time, Ursula started to "grunt" and make a poopy. Unfortunately, this has always (!!) been in the middle of meals, either breakfast or dinner.

I am sooo hungry and tired all the time, I just have no interest in getting up in the middle of a meal to deal with this. And, it is not fun to finish the meal --cold-- by myself 20 minutes later, after I have sat Ursula on the potty, then washed both Ursula's poopy bottom and the potty and put a new diaper on her (cloth with a cover, or an all-in-one "Kushie", or a disposable "Tushie").

I can't seem to get her to "go" at regularly scheduled times during the day. The Pak-Indian babies I hear about all seem to "go" at regular times and on cue!

I nurse Ursula at regular times, and, for the most part, she is a night-nurser. She nurses and falls asleep. I don't know if she pees while nursing or while asleep. But, at night, 1 of 4 nights, her diapers leak. And, I am so tired, I just can't even consider getting out of bed. It is all I can do to change her diapers. I am so sick of changing diapers, and I have to fight her to keep her still --- I mean putting my feet on her shoulders and my elbow on one of her legs and trying to open the velcro tabs on the diaper wraps with both my hands.

She used to sit on the potty during the summer; I'd sit behind her and she'd play with a toy. These days, every time I sit her on the potty, she arches her back. Last three times, she wouldn't sit, and instead went pee-pee on the floor!

I have been making two types of sounds: "shh-wishh-shh" and imitation grunts as if I am pushing and concentrating. I make these sounds when she is trying to "go" poopy. I can't tell when she is trying to go pee-pee. I also make these sounds when she is watching me on the toilet, hoping that she will understand what I am doing and get used to the toilet idea.

Last time I brought out the potty (which was a few weeks ago), Ursula wouldn't sit, and she was more interested in tasting the plastic (gross!). So, I haven't tried again recently, but I feel like I should, and I am so tired of changing diapers! I sure which I had known to start IPT (infant potty training) and EC (elimination communication) back in December when she was born!

Cheers,
/Caitlin
#7 of 26 Old 11-15-2002, 07:39 PM

Age of your EC-child : 18 days old

We started at... birth (Only one meconium poopy diaper, we caught the others )

Generally speaking we are doing... awesome, not too many misses so far

How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?
mostly signals. She has a certain type of cry.. if I don't answer her sqirms. But doesn't seem to be a difference btw pee and poo

We have a bucket near the bed the is on a left over (unused) chux pad from the birth. My fav place to potty her is the bath tub because it is so much easier on my back. we also use the sink or toilet... whatever is handy. we hold her in the sqat position with her back to our belly/chest.

Around the house she is mostly bare bottomed. but sometimes has a cpf under her w/o a cover. We haven't gone out much but when we did/do we use a cpf with a fleece cover

O.k., I find it hard to catch her signals if I am distracted

mostly cpf with cover and change or potty her when she signals...if I wake up. One morning I had taken off her dipe and she was sleeping or my chest. well she started sqirming and Iwas feeling lazy so I told myself that she probably doesn't have to go, shes just getting comfortable. well she let out a tiny little spirt of pee to get my butt in gear. I'm amazed at the control a tiny little baby has. when I held her over the bucket she let out the rest of the pee.

me and dh

when I'm distracted or think she wants something else. Or being lazy and talk myself out of thinking she is signaling

Other new insights Babies are amazing!!

that she doesn't have to cry to get me to know what she needs

nope
#8 of 26 Old 11-16-2002, 11:39 AM

I am really happy for your successes! I am so wistful that we didn't start teaching Ursula from Day 1 how and when to "go." Is it too late for us? Is anyone else "night-nursing"?

/Caitlin
#9 of 26 Old 11-16-2002, 12:17 PM

That's awesome that it's catching on and working so well for you all!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 26 Old 11-16-2002, 12:50 PM

My son is 4 months old and we just learned about EC last week (here) and started using it. His Bjorn potty will be here today but we already using a little toliet seat insert that is small enough that he can't fall through the hole. He sits well, so with a little support he can be there by himself. We aren't aiming for perfection and have never tried it out of the house, but he is going great. We catch mostly on schedule and sometimes with gas or sometimes he starts to poo and we take him and catch the rest. He's doing several pees and most of his poop in the toilet now and it is so awesome. He has always loved to be naked, so that is the 'reward' - we get to have more time with him in nothing.

I love EC!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#11 of 26 Old 11-16-2002, 02:15 PM

I've been wanting to post on this for a while but didn't have time! Here goes....

Age of your EC-child: 12mos

We started at...5mos

Generally speaking we are doing... ok, I feel. We only part-time EC and some days are better than others. I also feel that if we knew about this earlier and we would have more success.

How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?...Usually she poos first thing in the morning and she usually passes gas before she actually poos so those are easier to "catch". The pees are more by timing and by her starting to squirm.

Which positions/receptacles do you use?...we have a little potty, almost like a Bjorn that we started with. Now we also use a padded toilet seat insert (what are those things called?!) that she likes--it has Garfield on it! Sometimes if she's been sitting for a while and still hasn't peed, I find that if I hold her by her thighs over the toilet that she pees more readily.

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers?...Since we don't catch all pees, we use cloth diapers (my other addiction!). I use mostly fitteds, but we also have some flats.

How are you doing away from home?...We always have a diaper on her, but we try to change it or get to a public washroom as soon as she starts to squirm. If we are at a friends' home, we just hold her over the toilet like we do at home.

What are you doing at night?...cloth diaper, fleece cover. DD usually doesn't go at night, we try to get her to the toilet first thing when she wakes, though.

Who takes baby to the potty?...me, DH, the grandmas

Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone?...we go through anywhere from 2 to 5 dipes a day. We go through more when we are busy or she is distracted by new things/people.

Other new insights...anything that goes in the toilet does not have a chance to cause a bum rash.

What do you like most about ecing at the moment?...No more poopy dipes or bums to clean!

Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?...NO--just wish I heard of this earlier!
#12 of 26 Old 11-16-2002, 06:33 PM

-- Age of your EC-child
13 months

-- We started at
7.5 months

-- Generally speaking we are doing...
Good. We don't really do it full-time, so
we miss a number of pees, but we've hardly
missed any poos since we started. I think if we had started earlier, we might be doing a little better, but I'm still very happy with what we are doing.

-- How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?
Largely timing for pees (after naps and when waking in the morning, after eating, and when coming home from an outing), but she has started to signal more. Sometimes she'll start grabbing at her diaper when she needs to go. Poos are no problem. She makes a very distinguishable face when she needs to poo.

-- Which positions/receptacles do you use?
Mostly her Baby Bjorn potty, sometimes the sink.

-- Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers?
Sometimes diapers, sometimes training pants, sometimes naked butt. We use prefolds in a velcro wrap for diapers (very quick to take off).

-- How are you doing away from home?
So-so away from home. Sometimes she'll pee in a toilet in the restroom. Lots of times, though, she waits until she gets home.

-- What are you doing at night?
I must admit I'm too lazy to bring her to the potty in the middle of the night. She wears a cloth diaper with a fleece liner. But, recently she's been staying dry quite often at night. I bring her to the potty first thing, and she goes then.

-- Who takes baby to the potty?
Me or dh, although I tend to do it more often. Dh takes care of dd on the days I work, and he takes care of it then.

-- Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone?
We still have a number of "accidents" (only pees), but I've given up trying to be perfect about it. If she wets her diaper or training pants, I just change it right away.

-- What do you like most about ecing at the moment?
No poopy diapers, no diaper rash, my dd not having to sit in her waste, the fact that dd is so much happier not having to have a poopy diaper changed, and the way my dd claps for herself when she pees or poops in her potty.

-- Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?
Absolutely not. It's been great!

cwaddick - My dd went through a phase when she often refused to pee in her potty (from about 11.5-12.5 months). She would arch her back. Sometimes I would bring her to the sink, and she'd go there. Other times, I'd just put her diaper back on, and she'd go there. Other times she'd pee on the floor. But, the phase has passed! I would suggest to keep offering, but not putting any pressure on it. I think for my dd, it was right around the time she started walking, and wanted to be Miss Independent. Now she's walking fine. She'll let me put her on her potty. She doesn't know how to sit down on it herself yet. But, she won't let me take her off. She insists on standing up herself...she's so funny.
#13 of 26 Old 11-17-2002, 12:48 AM

* Age of your EC-child

8 1/2 months

* We started at...

Birth

* Generally speaking we are doing...

Very well, though we are not doing 99-100% perfectly like we used to, since
Bean is spending a lot of time on the floor. He doesn't often care if he
pees on the floor (though he still does frequently tell us he wants to go
potty even so).... He also went through a period of wanting to pee on
Daddy, but is tapering off now.

We do catch all poops (with one notable exception-- see below).

* How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing? Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?

All of the above. Absolute difference between poos & pees-- poos used to be
entirely timing, as he pooped first thing in the morning. Lately, he is not
pooping as regularly, so we go more by signals, intuition, & physical signs.

* Which positions/receptacles do you use?

BB potty between my legs, sink while being held under the thighs, toilet
while being held under thighs or sitting on kid seat (Flip n'Flush), ground outside. Bean is of two minds about the potty lately-- he often does half a pee, then twists around and wants to get off. I think the potty is too cold, so we are working on remedying that. Plus, he is just too darned busy to sit
still for thirty seconds!!

* Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers?

Usually just use regular pants (or crotchless), but put a contour dipe under
him in the carseat. I sometimes put a contour dipe inside his pants if he
will be riding on my back, as we occasionally miss then (well, twice in
months, but...). When he is wearing his crotchless pants & contour dipe, I
can simply pull the end of the dipe down, pee him, then tuck it back in.

Sometimes we use very thin training pants, and on rare occasions, esp. if
*Matt* will be slinging him for awhile away from home, he will wear a dipe
(usually cloth contour with wool Biobottoms cover-- sometimes a fitted dipe
and pull on wool cover).

* How are you doing away from home?

Except for car rides (we often can't stop when he signals, as the roads
around here are tiny, twisty, two lane roads), we catch 100% when away from home if he is in the sling with me. He will sometimes pee in a diaper with no signaling at all if he is wearing one (ie. when Matt puts one on him), so I solve that by not putting a dipe on him! If he will be sitting on someone
else's carpeting, or in a high chair, I often tuck a contour dipe inside his
pants, as insurance against his forgetting to tell me... When he isn't in
the sling, we still catch at least 90%.

He is very happy to pee next to the car when we get out, and then again
before we get back in. He prefers that to using our car potty.

* What are you doing at night?

Usually have him nakey on top of a wool puddle pad with a receiving blanket
on top of it or sometimes on top of our wool fleece blanket. If I am really tired, I put a fitted dipe on him. And if I am EXHAUSTED, I put a fitted dipe and Aristocrats wool pull on cover on. When he wiggles or fusses, I sit up & put him on the BB potty which we keep on a shelf next to the bed. Sometimes he cries and I soothe him, telling him how much better he will feel when he pees-- he then pees (sometimes crying while he pees very forcefully), and we lie down and nurse back to sleep. I wait until morning to dump the potty.

There are nights I catch every pee, and others in which I catch none, but
usually I miss 1 or 2. If he pees on the blanket, it isn't a big deal to
put a new one down. Recently he does (hey TRISH, here's your answer) pee
upwards onto our comforter sometimes-- not sure what has changed, but this
didn't used to happen. Still figuring out how to handle it... I don't wear
anything to bed, so if I do get hit with pee, I just wipe it off. If part
of the comforter gets wet, I turn it over to dry. This may gross some
people out, but I don't wash it unless it smells, and so far, Bean's pee
doesn't make it smell. It is a wool comforter, and I assume that the same
thing that is true about wool covers not smelling from pee is true about our
comforter....

* Who takes baby to the potty?

Mama, papa, brother Max, sometimes William or Dora will help, my friend
Holly has a few times...

* Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone?

Ah, it varies. There are days we miss maybe one or two pees (er, usually
Papa missing), and others where we miss every other one. I don't really
keep track, as I take him when he asks or I feel he needs to go-- and if he
wants to, he pees. If not, it is his choice to get wet or pee on the floor.
There have been times I have been insistent that he pee when I *KNEW* he
needed to, and it was not a good thing. When we are tired and distracted,
obviously we have more misses, but we just dry up and continue on.....

* Other new insights

Umm... It's midnight and you want insights? Sheesh....

* What do you like most about ecing at the moment?

Knowing that Bean is connected with his body (oh, nothing cuter than him
looking down and laughing, grabbing his penis and saying, "Pssss" while he
is peeing!) and isn't living with a toilet strapped to him. Not to mention
that I NEVER, EVER have to change or wash a poopy diaper! (With the
exception of that FREAK accident, when I was trying to convince a man at a
LLL conference that EC works, and Bean POOPED in the sling!!! Well, he
started too, and waited until we got to the toilet to finish. Gargh. His belly was upset, and his poop was very green & watery, so it must have been hard to hold in & took him unaware.)

* Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?

There have been a few nights that I grumbled and vowed to put disposables on him at night and not potty him at all, but that was when I was exhausted and grouchy, and he was being recalcitrant about using the potty AND peeing
every hour. I would never actually do it... (Not to mention the disp. dipes
wouldn't really help-- I found a cache of them in a closet, and tried a few
at night. They leaked like crazy!! Almost as if the pee just sprayed
straight out of them...)

Beatrice-- married to Matt, mama to Max (7 yo, cloth diped until 2 1/2), William (5 yo, cloth diped until 2 1/2), Dora (3 yo, cloth diped/partly EC'd, grad at 22 months), and Albion (8 months old, EC'd from birth, mostly diaperless). Kids all nurse, unschooled, no vax, intact, UC, EC, yadda yadda...

http://www.breastandbelly.com
#14 of 26 Old 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM

Thanks for bringing up this topic!!!!

Age of your EC-child

17 days

We started at...

birth

really well

How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing?
Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?

He signals with a cry and or a specific kind of squirm, someitmes he has a little throat clearing cough he does (like he wants to get my attention), and occasionally in the sling he'll kind of bang my chest if I am not responding fast enough. Timing: after naps if he's dry for instance; and also he tends to need to pee 3 or 4 times before he falls asleep if he's been awake for a long time so I often know if he's fussy while trying to fall asleep that he just needs another pee. Poops - well, usually I think he is signaling to pee, and when I take him he poops. :-) A lot of it is intuition too, but it is hard for me to separate that out, as the intuition just seems to make the signals seem clearer.

Primarily we use the sink, with me holding him in the "basic" position (against my chest with my hands under his legs. Last night for the 1st time I brought a dish basin to bed and put a prefold diaper in the bottom (to absorb the pee so I wouldn't have to worry about spills) and he did pee a couple of times in it when he was first falling asleep. Occasionally at th sink I use more of a cradle postiion if he's kind of fussy but still obviously needs to go.

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of
diapers?

I have been keeping a loosely pinned prefold on him that I can jsut slip off when he needs to go. This also helps keep the poop-spots he drips out from getting on everything.

Haven't been out yet!! I'm planning to use preemie size prefolds (so they're less bulky) with covers for when we go out, and planning to take him to pee as needed.

So far I've been letting him just pee and changing him when he stirs. Up until last night i just had him wrappped in a blankie and sleeping on a prefold. Last night I was using the loosley pinned prefold on him and prefold under him. I am thinking of trying to catch the pees, but I have been sleeping pretty deeply and only wake when he squeaks about already being wet.

Mama. Dad thinks the whole thing is really cool and tells everyone he talks to about Simon pees and poops in the sink, but he's not ready yet to be the one to take him. Also last night he told me how much he always hated the diaper pail, and how he is so excited by the prospect of drastically fewer diapers getting used around here.

Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially
accident-prone?

Hmm, maybe 3 pees a day, plus whatever sleeping pees he makes. I think our most likely to miss times are when he's really fussy and I take him to pee, and wait a bit and he's getting REALLY worked up and crying so I take him away from the sink and then about 2 minutes later he pees. So probably when we're both tired, as he tends to have a fussy time around 8pm, and I am by then exhausted from being up since 4am.

Other new insights

That it works!!! It is so coll to be able to listen to him, say "Oh, maybe you need to pee" and then take him, he goes!!!

Not, yet, but I can see how there'd be days I'd be feeling a bit overwhelmed. That said, Isaiah signaled us from the very beginning, and we didn't know there was an alternative to just having him go in dipes. He was very self-initiated in terms of getting out of diapers (around 15 mos he started wanting to pee in a potty), however he still asks for a diaper to poop in (he's 3y3m) and I am certainly looking forward to a different situation when Simon is that age. Having done the more traditional cloth diaper route, I think that our expereince with that will be a good incentive to stay with ec'ing.

Rachel M

mama to Isaiah 7/99 c-sec and
Simon 10/02 joyous home VBAC, ec'd from birth
#15 of 26 Old 11-17-2002, 12:37 PM

I've been meaning to get to this thread for a while. Here it goes!

Dd is almost 14 months old.

We began (by leaving diapers off at home) when she was 10 months old. Before that, we used cloth.

How are we doing? Depends on the day. We are having a great spell right now. Great means a dry bed in the morning and after naps, dry training pants after outings, and only a couple of pee (and one poo) accidents a day. My perspective has really changed. If we get one poo in the potty it carries me through the rest of the day.

We use a combo of timing, intuition and signals (gas or, when we're really lucky, the 'I gotta pee' dance). In the beginning, I relied on timing alone.

To begin with, the baby would only pee when standing. So when we thought she had to go, we'd just put her in the same place on our hardwood floor and let her go. With time, we introduced a small tupperware container to catch pee. Then we started using the sink in the bathroom. Now I sit on the toilet with her and dh uses the sink or the tupperware.

I started doing EC because dd couldn't stand having her diaper changed. We no longer use dipes. For outings, I've started using training pants (we had a pee accident at a park on a cold day -- I don't want that to happen again!).

When we are away from home, the baby usually holds it. The bathroom has to be pretty nice (well-lit and spacious) for her to feel comfortable enough to use it.

This is kind of unusual but we had more initial success with nights than days (and pee than poo). We stopped using diapers at night and she stopped peeing at night. Strange but true. For off nights, we use a soaker pad. If she wets it, I throw it off the bed and we continue sleeping.

I'm more likely to take her potty, but dh is getting more involved again. Sometimes he is more successful than I am (I think because he is more relaxed).

We have lots of accidents. Lately, we pretty consistently miss the second pee of the morning. Weekends are usually pretty messy. Evenings are harder than daytime. We have fewer accidents when our days are full (e.g., am nap, playgroup, nap, walk).

I read time and time again that there is a four-to-five-month window of opportunity in which to implement this practice, which I know discourages many would-be late starters. I think EC advocates should stop spreading this myth (just as I wish the rest of the world would stop saying that children are unable to control their elimination before 18 months of age).

I also disagree with those who argue that this practice has nothing to do with habit training methods practiced by Western women before the advent of the washing machine and later the disposable diaper.

What do I like most? Dry bed. No diapers to change. Less laundry. Being tuned in.

Do I ever wish I'd have never heard about it? No, I wish I had implemented it earlier.
#16 of 26 Old 11-17-2002, 04:06 PM

Age of your EC-child

We started at 3 weeks on and off, seriously at 11 weeks.

Generally speaking we are doing FABULOUS!!!

How do you know your baby has to go? If only I knew... I just take him when he needs to go... :LOL

Positions/receptacles: Mostly baby bjorn potty. When out and about anything handy.

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers? Inside nakey bottomed, outside training pants or disposables, nighttime nothing or cloth.

How are you doing away from home? No difference.

What are you doing at night? Mostly sleeping. Sometimes peeing baby and then nursing baby back to sleep.

Who takes baby to the potty? Mama or Papa. Sometimes, very rarely, uncle or grandma.

Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially accident-prone? None for... ages actually. Except for sometimes in the late afternoon when we all get a bit tired.

Other new insights: There SEEM to be people who really need diapers...

That I notice IMMEDIATELY when we are off tune. The deep level of sharing and communication we have with baby is just... AWESOME...

Never ever.

Best wishes,
dorilys
DS 7 months
#17 of 26 Old 11-17-2002, 05:26 PM

T

Just wanted you ECers to know that I'm selling off some of Abi's size 2 training pants on the Trading Post board. I'd rather have them go to fellow ECers if possible. :-) Sorry if I'm violating the rules, but training pants are expensive and it's hard to find size 2s in the stores here locally.

Okay, back to the topic at hand.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 26 Old 11-18-2002, 12:50 PM

Age of your EC-child:
2+ months

We started at...
8 weeks, when I first read about EC online.

Better than I thought we would! LOL
With 4 kids to deal with I consider we are doing well if we catch even a couple pees each day.

For us it is a combination. I try to take him when he wakes up, and after nursing which is timing. Sometimes I will think "Maybe I should see if he needs to go..." And if I don't act on that thought right away, sure enough he will be wet when I check him! Then there are times when he will fuss and squirm, and be very happy as soon as I take him to the bathroom. Those moments are really happy ones for both of us. I haven't caught a poop yet, he only poops every couple of days. I guess maybe the dairy allergy isn't quite all the way out of our systems yet?

I started out just holding him under his thighs over the bathroom sink. Last Saturday we decided to get a Baby Bjorn little potty, both for him and for our DD who is too short to sit comfortably on our other "training potty." He seems to really like the potty, except when he is just waking up and it is cold on his little tushie!

diapers?
We use diapers. At home he is in a cloth velcro shaped diaper with a cover, because with 3 other kids and the minor emergencies that come up on a daily basis I can't guarantee I will be able to get him to the potty all the time. For going out he wears a disposable, unless it is only going to be for a short trip.

So far so good. He has peed in public bathrooms a few times, and once in the sink at the host home for our Bible study group. I didn't tell them yet about it. I'm sure they thought it was a bit odd I walked into the bathroom with the baby...

He is in a diaper at night. I feel like I would have trouble getting back to sleep if I tried to EC at night right now, so I change him if he seems uncomfy, otherwise just nurse him and sleep all night.

Me! DH is supportive, though I think he does find it odd. After giving in on the homebirth issue he is more relaxed about my eccentric ideas now I guess. :P

accident-prone?
I don't keep track of them as such, or think of them as accidents... I am most likely to "miss" in the morning it seems like. Because that is when the other kids are the most busy and I am trying to get stuff done. In the evenings is my time with just him, and we catch more pees then.

Other new insights
I never thought I would be trying the stuff I have, parenting-wise, but I am having fun.

It is kind of like a new game to play with my baby. He seems to have so much fun sitting on his potty and wiggling his little toes. Sometimes he gets so excited when he pees in there, and he coos and gurgles at me. I definitely feel closer to him.

Only at times when my oldest is running through the house yelling, my 3yo DD is saying "I gotta go pee-pee" (She can go by herself, I don't know WHY she stands there announcing it over and over until someone TELLS her to go. Maybe same reason she sits staring at her dinner doing nothing until told "Take a bite honey...")My 2 yo DD is crying AGAIN for... you name it, she'll cry about it if she's tired enough... And then I hear the baby fussing and think "I know he's got to pee, but why NOW?"
But that's only every once in a long while. Most of the time I am very glad I know about it, and wish I could have done it with my other kids. Maybe then my 2 yo DD would already be using the potty on her own!

Kathryn
#19 of 26 Old 11-18-2002, 02:13 PM

Age of your EC-child...
3 months tomorrow

We started at...
about 3 weeks ago

TERRIBLE

i can always tell with noah cause he makes the cutest "concentration face" and grunts(i promise it's soooo adorable!lol) peeing? i dunno...im really bad w that...the only time i can get it in time is right after he wakes up

this is the hardest part...the only thing i have to useis my bathroom sink, but he gets distracted whenever i take him in there bexcause of the huge mirror, plus it's hard to hold him there...very awckward

cds

terrible

cds

me...everyone else thinks im stupid.rediculous

when he's just playing on a blanket and pees everywhere, lol

Other new insights

when he does pee/poo in the sink i feel like sucha great/intuned mama!

no...i just wish i was better at it and had more support
#20 of 26 Old 11-18-2002, 05:05 PM

We started at... 2 1/2 months

Generally speaking we are doing... Great

For pee, signals timing and intuition, for poops he makes obvious signals and tries to get on the potty himself.

Baby Bjorn little potty, Baby Bjorn seat that fits on big potty

Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions, what kind of diapers? We use cloth dipes at night and when teething is bad and he is having misses 1-2 times a day.

He is 100% diaper-free away from home.

We use cloth dipes at night, but I have been doing nighttime EC since he was 10 months old. He usually wakes 1-2 times at night to pee and then nurses back to sleep.

Me, Dad, Grandma and Aunt

Right now he is getting in a molar, and having almost 1 accident per day. Only when we are at home and he's busy playing with his things.

Other new insights
This just feels so right and makes such sense, why do people think it's crazy?

He takes his stuffed elephant and his stuffed cat to the potty and makes the 'ssssss' noise for them. He is starting to enjoy trying to pee standing up like daddy!

No, although I wish I didn't feel like he should have graduated sooner. He had 2 months that were accident free from 12-14 months, but since then he has had occasional accidents. I read about kids who graduate at 12-15 months, and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.
#21 of 26 Old 11-18-2002, 06:05 PM

Hey, look at all the new members on this thread! Did you come here just to talk about EC?? Welcome to MDC! This is a great place for talking about EC and all sorts of other things.

We started at...between 2.5 and 3 months, don't remember exactly (mommy brain). Evan is now almost 4 months.

Generally speaking we are doing... OK, we catch most poops and some pees, but to me any catch is a major accomplishment!

.....Poops are pretty much timing (first thing in the morning, he toots quite a bit while nursing); pees are pretty much luck (he doesn't signal for pees as far as I have been able to tell). We put him on the BB little potty whenever we change his diaper.

....The little BB potty on top of the changing table. I think he's going to pee or poop whenever he hears his mobile music as a grownup! I've tried the real potty but it's uncomfortable for both of us when I try to hold him over it.

.....(Blushing) I use sposies. Just can't bring myself to deal with CDs. The shame, the shame.

....Haven't even tried to potty him away from home. Then again, we don't go out much yet.

.....Haven't even tried to potty him at night. I'm so exhausted, I sleep really deeply. Then again, I'm thinking maybe he's fussy during the night because he needs to go, so maybe I'll try peeing him at night and see what happens.

....Either DH or myself. I had a hard time convincing DH to try yet another wacky AP idea, but one poop in the potty instead of smeared all over DS' nooks and crannies and DH saw the logic!

....I don't know that I can call them "accidents," since that would imply that we're mostly getting pees and poops in the pot, which we're not.

Other new insights
....Probably not a new insight, but reading the EC threads here at MDC, that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to make EC work for your family.

....Not wiping poop out of every nook and cranny! Woo-hoo!

....Nope. Even if I doubt that we'll never achieve the success that some of you EC wonder mamas have, every caught poop counts as a victory to me!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#22 of 26 Old 11-21-2002, 07:14 PM

Age of your EC-child
me: 15 months

We started at...
me: At 3 months (when I heard of it). Diaper-free since 6 months

me: Great. We have our misses, but dd is obviously aware of her elimination habits and is so happy when I respond to her signals.

me: It is a mixtureof timing, signals and intuition. Mornings we rely on timing. She goes most often then and does not always completely empty her bladder, so she can go as often as 20-30 minutes! After a couple hours, the time increases and signals and intuition work better. Often I think the intuition part is me picking up on her less obvious signals (obvious signals: sign language, grabbing her crotch and going to find the potty)

me: bb potty, "nature girl" when outside (holding her under the legs with her back against my chest), and "big person potty" using the "nature girl" position when she has to poop or ask for the big potty instead. I have tried to keep her familiar with many different positions so we can go out and about without to much headache.

diapers?
me: until 6 months we used cloth diapers. We now use training pants and poquito pants or go bare-bottom.

me: away from home is the easiest. Rarely have any misses.

me: Dry and diaper free since 12 months. Only incidents are when mama accidently ingests some dairy

me: mama, papa, friend Brooke. All can catch her signals although mama is best at it.

accident-prone?
me: good days=none, bad days=4. Mostly good days. Only night misses are due to dairy as described above.

Other new insights
me: Many people are interested. Seeing is believing. Most AP friends appreciate how this fits into a more AP-style of parenting. Wish more about it was in print magazines as not all of us are so lucky as to have internet.

me: communication with dd, NO DIAPERS, and that little naked tushie running around the house.

me: Nope. I hated putting dd in diapers. She hated them,I hated them. I will live with occasional misses to clean up versus nasty poop to clean out of the nooks and crannies and urine irritating her skin.
#23 of 26 Old 11-21-2002, 07:37 PM

Age of your EC-child
7 weeks tomorrow

We started at...
6 days

OK, but not nearly as well as I wish we were. We're accomplishing our main goal, though, which isn't to become diaperfree (not yet, at least), but to help him remain in touch with his body.

All of the above. I try to pee him whenever he wakes up, whether he acts like he needs it or not. A lot of times, if he is in a good mood and begins fussing, that's his signal that he needs to pee. For poops, he usually begins to grunt a bit and bear down (have to really hurry then!). And here lately, I've been having "uh-oh, he needs to go" flashes that are often right.

We started out holding him by his thighs while leaning against us, over the sink. He made it pretty clear that he didn't like that at all-it was too unsupported. We used a small bowl for a while, then got one of the Baby Bjorns. He definately prefers his potty.

Cloth diapers. I'm pretty attached to them, really, and now I'm getting the urge to get all the cute little fitteds...

We have only gone out a few times and haven't tried EC away yet.

Prefold in a fleece cover.

DH or I

On our best days, we only catch about half of his pees and poops. While he's eating is the hardest...I haven't even tried to balance a bowl between my knees. I'm hoping that when warm weather comes again (by which time I also hope DS will be more vocal about having to go), we can actually try EC full time and diaperless.

Other new insights

Realizing that his fussing has a cause.

Not at all, though it kinda upsets me when I think about how far we have to go. I really need to become more committed to it.
#24 of 26 Old 11-22-2002, 02:29 AM

It's been so neat to read each of your experiences with EC... I needed a boost tonight, heard back from a friend of a friend that an accquaintance is "deeply disturbed" by our using EC with ds, as clearly we are "Forcing" him to do something against his will. I wish she could see his smile when he pees in the potty and then waves bye-bye....

ARGHHHHH!!!

Ahleemah - wondering yet again why ppl are so convinced that EC is abnormal, yet using cloth or plastic as a portable toilet isn't.....:
#25 of 26 Old 01-26-2003, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

as Jutta is half a year old already, it's time for an update on how we are doing. I'll just use my old questionary again:

> Age of your EC-child

6 months on last Monday

> We started at...

birth

> Generally speaking we are doing...

Still very good. With Jutta becoming more and more mobile, it's getting more difficult to catch her signals, and I think she also sometimes doesn't realize that she has to go, as she's so occupied with moving around. She was consistantly able to roll over onto her tummy at 4 months, first only without diapers, later with diapers. Shortly before Christmas she found out how to roll back onto her back and since Christmas (age 5 months) she's rolling all over the livingroom to get whereever she wants to.

> How do you know your baby has to go? Baby's signals? Timing?
> Intuition? Is there a difference for poos and pees?

Sometimes she'll blow rasberrys when she has to go, especially for poos. I had to change a poopy diaper Thursday my parents', when she did that while we were having lunch and I thought she was just fooling around with Wolfgang...

A lot of it is a mixture of timing and intuition: After sleep, after wearing her in the sling for a longer stretch of time, after nursing.

> Which positions/receptacles do you use?

Still our little pee-pee bowl - I put it between my legs and hold her over it.
The toilet: I sit her between my legs or I'm standing facing the toilet, knees slightly bend, holding her under the tighs, her back leaning against my thighs. When I rest my knees against the rim of the toilet, this position is rather comfortable. I can even bend over Jutta and make faces upside down for her or let her play with my hair if a little bit of distraction is needed for her to relax.
The BB potty - she can sit on it on her own now without falling over. Of course I'm there right next to her nontheless.
Holding over the sink, her back leaning against my chest or my thigh placed over the corner of the sink.

> Do you use diapers or training pants? On what occasions,
> what kind of
> diapers?

We still use diaper-backup. Sometimes at night and most of the day usually, although she regularly goes without diapers during the day, too. Depends on how tuned in I am, how relaxed I am, what I'm doing etc. When she's not wearing diapers, she's in undies and fleece-pants. As diapers I'm using my newly invented "BackUps" now most of the time. I promise to describe them soon, dh also said he'll put some photos on our homepage. They can be easily pulled down for toileting, which is very nice.

> How are you doing away from home?

Usually better than at home. I'm wearing Jutta most of the time, which helps a lot I suppose. We are using people's bathrooms and public restrooms. I even peed Jutta in the changing-room when I was shopping for new clothes: As I had to put her down to try on the clothes, I knew she would have to pee after a while. So I took the pee-pee-bowl out of the diaper bag, peed her in it (dry diaper), emptied the bowl into a plastic bag, closed the bag with a clip, put it into another plastic bag for safety and returned everything into the diaper bag. I later emptied the plastic-bag into a sink in the baby-diapering-room.

> What are you doing at night?

Usually ec-ing, too. I think Jutta is not wearing diapers about half of the nights right now and staying dry half of the nights, too, mainly being dependend on my tiredness and comittment. Dry nights are not necessarily diaper-free nights and vice versa. Things got a bit more difficult when Jutta learned to nurse to sleep 2 months ago or so. Before that she'd wake me, I'd take her to our bed and doze off while breastfeeding, she'd wake me again by letting go and starting to wiggle, we'd go potty. Now she sometimes nurses to sleep and only wakes much later and not fully to pee. At that point I'm not dozing, but probably right back into deep sleep and miss her stirring. After getting used to the new routine, we got better at it though. Jutta wakes a bit more when she has to go. And I try to be alert and wake when she lets go. So this is our nighttime routine right now:

Jutta goes to sleep nursing or in the didymos-sling (or the Packababy :-) ) on my back sometime between 10 and 11 pm (hopefully!), I put her in her crib. She wakes at around 2.30. I take her into our bed, nurse and go to sleep. I wake when she's done. We go to the bathroom and she pees in the sink, half asleep most of the time. I put her back in the crib or take her to bed with me, depending on my mood. At around 6 she wakes again. I nurse her in bed. We go to the bathroom. I put her in her crib on weekdays, because I have to get up, or take her to bed with me on weekends. Sometimes, when she wakes later, at around 7, she's awake for the day. Otherwise she wakes again at around 8 to 9 and is up for the day then. I've got to be rather alert here, as she usually wakes quietly and just starts to play and - sooner or later - to pee, too.

> Who takes baby to the potty?

Usually still me. Dh has put her on the potty on my request or out of his own initiative a few times now, too, though. As I said - wait till she can sit on a potty. He's not so much into holding a baby to pee.

> Accidents - how many do you have and what times are especially
> accident-prone?

Usually quite a lot, as Jutta is moving around on the ground a lot and often doesn't care to signal much then. "Good" days mean about 3 or 4 wet diapers a day in the moment, although we still manage 12 or more dry hours now and then. But even after a really dry day, we usually end with 3 or more wet diapers in a row in the evening until Wolfgang is in bed. "Bad" days mean that we only catch about half of the pees. This means around 9 catches and 9 misses in 24 hours. As I consider that a "bad" day, I think we are still doing very good :-)

For poos, we've only got rare accidents. I think they average at less than a miss per week, although we had *three* poo-misses in a day last Thursday. Usually Jutta still has to go poo several times a day, with a big load in the morning.

> Other new insights

To relax *is* very important for ec, but it is possible to be a bit too laid back, too. After Christmas I realized that I had been doing a lot of diapering and just changing diapers as soon as they were wet, because I didn't really bother to try to tune in. Starting to go diaperless most mornings again solved that problem...

> What do you like most about ecing at the moment?

That it motivates me to stay connected to Jutta, to wear her, to hold her. She's such a low-needs baby (opposed to high-needs) and probably wouldn't even complain if I just left her in a playpen all day.

> Do you ever wish you'd have never heard about it?

Sometimes when I'm changing the 5th wet diaper in what seems less than an hour. I put her in disposables for a night recently because I was so fed up with wet diapers. But I disliked the disposable in the morning even more - the smell :-P - and was relaxed again so we are back to just pants or cloth at night.

But then, I'd much rather have heard about it in time for my children, than when they are 2 years old or so!
#26 of 26 Old 01-26-2003, 11:10 PM

Age of your EC-child
3 months

We started at...
4 weeks, but it wasn't as concerted an effort. Also, the hustle and bustle of the holidays interfered some, but since the New Year, we've been going at it pretty strongly (she was about 10 weeks at New Yrs)

I think we're doing well, though some days are better than others. On my best day, I caught 17, and changed 3 or 4 diapers besides that (DD is a frequent eliminator, and I change her immediately, regardless of how little or much she goes--she generally doesn't like being wet. Can't blame her a bit!), but most days I'm averaging 5 or 6 and still changing up to 12 diapers. I do find that sometimes if she's playing, she either doesn't cue or her cues are more subtle and I miss them. Still, we see every catch as a victory. Our goals are first to keep DD in touch with her body/elimination and second to save diapers/washing!

Timing (after waking up in the morning or after naps, often after she eats if she's still awake), intuition, and signals such as fussiness or squirming/popping off the breast while nursing for pees, or grunting for poos (though poos are more often a timing thing for me--she poos every AM and usually sometime in the afternoon as well as 1-2 other times through the evening). She also often fusses when I take her to pee, and all I can figure is that she's fussing because of the discomfort, but if she fusses, she usually quiets down right before she goes. If she fusses loudly or screams (which she has done, particularly if she doesn't have to go and I start making the Sssss sound), I take it as a sign she doesnt need to go and I take her out of the bathroom and wait a few minutes, then go back and usually she'll go. DD isn't a morning person, though, and I've often found that if she's a bit cranky from just waking up, sometimes it seems she'd rather go in her diaper than be bothered by going to the sink or potty.

A modified "classic" position over the sink or toilet--I more or less cradle her in one arm and hold her thighs. She feels more supported/secure this way. We're also planning on getting a Baby Bjorn potty.

Diaper backup 24/7. We use CDs, a combination of Fuzzi Bunz and Kissaluvs with covers.

We haven't tried away from home yet...we're still working on warming people up to the idea.

CD backup. She doesn't really go until early in the AM, and she squirms and fusses a bit just prior. But I'm usually sooo tired, I just haven't really given it a go at night yet.

Generally I do. Dh did some when we first started, but since we resumed after the holidays, he hasn't had much success when he takes her, so he's kinda backed off taking her.

Plenty of misses still, particularly if I'm distracted and/or busy with something else.

Other new insights
Her behavior has a purpose, whether it's fussing, crying, squirming/popping off the breast, smiling, etc. It's up to me to figure out what she's trying to tell me through her behavior.

Fewer diapers to change and wash, leading to time and energy savings!

Heck no! We love it! It feels so "right" and so "obvious" as the answer to babies' elimination needs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page