Later Starters Support thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 281 Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am definitely one for not making them sit on the potty but we will try different things in a short period of time. I will have her sit on the potty, she'll crawl off, I'll wait a few minutes and take her to the big potty. Nothing. Then I'll take her to the sink... Then to the tub... Eventually something works, or not.

So I have to have a moment of joy :: We had a bunch of catches today! Three pees and a poop! Wowsa! Two of the pees were in the sink after sleeping. This seems to work for her when she first wakes up. She definitely prefers being held right now... Another pee was when I expected a poop. The poop came later.

If she starts going in her diaper and I move her to the potty between pushes, is that OK? If we miss are we supposed to just let it go and change their diaper when their done? Is there a "rule" about this? (I know, no rules, but I don't want to effect her toileting negatively, like make her stop or something...) So far it seems like if she is in the middle of a poop and I move her she will finish no problem...

I think we're getting the hang of this. Been doing it about a week - first few tries were hard! She is figuring out the cue now! Such a smart girl...

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#272 of 281 Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've only just found out about EC. My girl is 8 months and have decided to give it a go but am worried it won't work especially with everyone willing me to fail!
#273 of 281 Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 PM

We were late-starters, (around 14-15 months I think) with the actual potty but have been signing and "chhhhhh"ing and "communicating" about pee and poo from the beginning. Now at nearly 18 months, things are really taking off. I think the book "No More Diapers for Ducky" has helped. DD has the same potty as in the book (blue BBPC) and she loves to read the book while sitting on her potty, points to her potty and to the one in the book.
Go slow, take a break, go back a few steps, follow their lead. That's what I have learned. The EC tricks sticky is very helpful.
Good luck to us all!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#274 of 281 Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 AM

We're 4 days in with my 8 month old. So far we've been able to catch her morning pee and if we're lucky the pee after drinking or feeding and the couple of poos she's done but not much else. My other half isn't very keen on the whole thing and thinks it's more hassle than it's worth. I really want it to work, but am finding it hard at the moment. I'm also feeling really guilty for not realising about EC till a week ago. Hopefully it'll improve soon
#275 of 281 Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM

I started EC with my daughter when she was nine months old. It took about a month for her to be willing to sit on the little potty, and I never forced her. When she did start using it, she was pretty quick to start peeing and pooping in it. By the time she was eleven and a half months old, I was catching about half of her pees and most of her poops. When she turned a year old, she stopped, and wouldn't go near it. Then she started learning to walk, and now that she's walking and about fourteen months old, she's liking the potty again, but she won't go on it. She just likes to sit on it and read her books. Then she goes as soon as she gets off the pot, either with or without her diaper on yet. She's started pooping in private, and she now HATES diaper changes. But she loves sitting on that potty. She also likes sitting on the seat that goes on a regular toilet, but has never used it for peeing or pooping. Any suggestions as to what I could do to help her back to using it? Or will it happen on its own if I keep giving her the opportunity? I've been cleaning up a lot of pee and poop right next the little potty. Any advice?
#276 of 281 Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM

My DS will be 9 months old tomorrow and I'm thinking of starting this. I'm almost finished with the book infant potty training. But I'm really intimidated by the whole thing.

I think that I'm mostly going to have to go off timing, since I've never noticed a pattern for his pees and poos. Do you try every hour? More, less? Right now I'm thinking of trying to sit on the big potty with him to get him started- does that seem like a good idea?

Any suggestions to help me get the courage to start? Thanks!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
#277 of 281 Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM

-- I think that I'm mostly going to have to go off timing --

This is fine. Our son never gave any signals for pees. We did fine with timing, and once you start with timing, you might notice a few general patterns. I say general, in case you were expecting something precise. Don't expect precision and definitely don't strive for perfection.

-- Do you try every hour? --

I think it's better to try at 2-3 likely times per day at first, usually in relation to sleeping and meals. If he is content with sitting on the potty or toilet and if you feel like increasing the potty visits, you can slowly increase. Don't let it become overwhelming for either of you. I wouldn't make him sit more than a few minutes at first, unless he wants to stay there.

--I'm thinking of trying to sit on the big potty with him to get him started- does that seem like a good idea? --

If you mean you are thinking of sitting on the toilet with him between your legs, this is fine. A variation is for you to sit on the toilet and baby to sit on a potty next to you.

-- I'm really intimidated by the whole thing. Any suggestions to help me get the courage to start? --

Yes . . . don't feel intimidated. It's a very natural thing. Don't make a big deal out of it. At first you're only going to help him get used to the potty or toilet. If he goes in the potty or toilet for you during the first days or week(s), consider that a bonus; if he doesn't, don't worry, just try again at another time when you think he needs to go.

It's no different than teaching him anything else. Make a start, see how it goes, assess the situation, and then proceed from there.

Stay relaxed and make it fun!

Laurie
#278 of 281 Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM

My son is almost 7 months and we started (on a very part-time basis) at 5 1/2 months. I've decided not to push the issue too hard, mostly because full-on EC just doesn't work with our lifestyle. As a compromise, I hold him over his Bjorn potty as soon as he wakes up in the morning, before and after each nap, and before bath time at night. He pees in his potty 50-75% of the time. I do the sign for potty each time I take him to his potty and I make a "psss" sound when he pees and when I catch him peeing in his diaper during the day. I'm starting to notice that "psss" sound will prompt him to pee at his potty most of the time, as long as he needs to go. I praise him like crazy when he does go. He still hasn't pooped in his potty but I don't really expect that to happen until he gets the peeing down.

We also cloth diaper, and when I change his diaper, I make the sign for "change diaper." I'm hoping that between the signing for change diaper and potty, he'll be communicating with me soon because I have not been able to pick up on his own signs yet.

I think the basic idea is that the more you offer, the more the baby will catch on.

Even with my part-time efforts and my late start, I fully expect my baby to be potty trained by 2 years.

#279 of 281 Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Well, my DS is 6.5 months and I am trying EC (again, gave up after 2 days a couple weeks ago eyesroll.gif). He shows no signs that I can tell when peeing and I only know he's pooping during the fact! Rggg. Frustrating. I kinda want to give up....

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#280 of 281 Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Don't give up! When I started, the first week, I took DS to the potty every 1/2 hour when he was awake just to get a feel for his rhythm before settling into our current schedule. Maybe you could give that a shot to figure out a routine or level of investment that works for your family. This is definitely not the kind of thing that has to be all or nothing.

#281 of 281 Old 12-17-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I know this hasn't been updated in awhile- but I haven't found any more recent threads aimed at late ECing.

We weren't planning to start until after this week, or at least not until later this week- when we were both finished with finals so could focus on it. We have a potty, though, and two days ago started putting kiddo on it diaperless just to make it something familiar. Well, yesterday I decided to on a whim- and our baby actually peed in it! Then I did again after the afternoon nap. It took kiddo awhile to wake up enough, and after showing more interest in a book I started reading to him and about halfway through the book he started to go. My patner put him on after a nap again today, just played for awhile and didn't think we'd had a catch- then, after taking kiddo off, saw it was full. We don't even have to help him "aim". Definitely a hopeful start! Kiddo doesn't mind sitting on the potty for a few minutes at a time, which is definitely good. I try to signal when I notice he's peeing, but in the diaper I never notice. We're trying to get in the habit of putting kiddo on the potty for diaper changes, just to give the chance, although that hasn't resulted in any catches.

I know this hasn't been updated in awhile- but I haven't found any more recent threads aimed at late ECing.

We weren't planning to start until after this week, or at least not until later this week- when we were both finished with finals so could focus on it. We have a potty, though, and two days ago started putting kiddo on it diaperless just to make it something familiar. Well, yesterday I decided to on a whim- and our baby actually peed in it! Then I did again after the afternoon nap. It took kiddo awhile to wake up enough, and after showing more interest in a book I started reading to him and about halfway through the book he started to go. My patner put him on after a nap again today, just played for awhile and didn't think we'd had a catch- then, after taking kiddo off, saw it was full. We don't even have to help him "aim". Definitely a hopeful start! Kiddo doesn't mind sitting on the potty for a few minutes at a time, which is definitely good. I try to signal when I notice he's peeing, but in the diaper I never notice. We're trying to get in the habit of putting kiddo on the potty for diaper changes, just to give the chance, although that hasn't resulted in any catches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page