Later Starters Support thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 281 Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I get hold of a mod for this forum?

I wanna try getting this stickied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 281 Old 06-07-2006, 02:19 PM

There is a Questions and Suggestions Sub-forum in the Welcome to MDC Forum - top of the page I think. Best ask there.

I just thought I'd join and introduce myself. I have four children, two EC'd. First EC baby (boy) we started at 10 months. I have posted about our experience to encourage other late starters in this forum but it has since been buried in the traffic. Hey - at least there is traffic. EC is a pretty lonely choice for me - I don't know anyone else who is doing this. DS is almost three now and has been fully independent in his toileting since around 16 months and dry at night since about 18 months. Aside from a few accidents, he has never regressed.

Second baby we started EC at 3 months and it has been going great guns! We diaper at night and when we go out but overall it doesn't seem to interfere with our communication other than sometimes requiring a short adjustment phase while we get back into going bare bottom at home. Starting solids has been barely a hiccup - but we're not entirely having solid meals beyond a few tastes every couple of days.

Anyhow, I'll keep checking this thread now I know it exists.
#63 of 281 Old 06-07-2006, 04:34 PM

PM a mod: USamma is one for the EC forum. i'm oht or i'd write more. just found this thread, we're late starters. ds is 1 tomorrow.

raising my two sunshine children.

#64 of 281 Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 AM

I started EC with my youngest at around 2 months old and it was real easy then cuz we were living in tents outdoors. (we were homeless during the summer for a few weeks) But then we moved into a home with another family who was very odd IMO with rules. Very strict christians to an extreme and unaccepting of nudity at all, even of babies! So, my trick of lertting my babe and toddler both be naked alot to aid in pottying was difficult. My babe was doing super well but they then insisted we quit letting him be nude and were basically banned from being upstairs where the toilet was while they homeschooled half the day so it all quit. Too many hurdles. NO wthough, bailey is 13 montsh and we are JUST starting to get back on track. I am resentful cuz I know we ould have been near done at this point if we had had freedom to do it my way..... It is harder now cuz I am havig to untrain him from diapers. He is aware of wetness though and will whip off the cloth diapers as soon as he wets.
#65 of 281 Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 AM

So, when will DS start getting an awareness of his bodily functions? And then, what's the next step? I'm good at catching pees right when he wakes up, and sometimes I can get him to sit on the potty and look at a book and he will sometimes pee on there. We've been doing naked time for a couple weeks now and I don't really know what's the next step. He's got a few words, so I'm trying to teach a new word or a sign, but how do I help him make the leap from peeing outside of a diaper to realizing that pee goes in the potty? How long will that take? He's 12 months and not yet walking.

#66 of 281 Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 AM

Michelle, that's how I started with my now three year old. She was 14 or 15 months and not yet walking (didn't until she was 16 months). We would do after nap time and occaisionally other times. The after nap pee almost always worked. Then we stopped for awhile because she started fighting it when she started walking. A couple of months later, I brought the potty out again and told her - that's where pee and poo goes. A few days later, she started peeing and pooing on it anytime she was naked. So we spent a couple of months almost exclusively naked (well, she did, not me ) and by the time she was 20 months, she was day dry.
#67 of 281 Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
Michelle, that's how I started with my now three year old. She was 14 or 15 months and not yet walking (didn't until she was 16 months). We would do after nap time and occaisionally other times. The after nap pee almost always worked. Then we stopped for awhile because she started fighting it when she started walking. A couple of months later, I brought the potty out again and told her - that's where pee and poo goes. A few days later, she started peeing and pooing on it anytime she was naked. So we spent a couple of months almost exclusively naked (well, she did, not me ) and by the time she was 20 months, she was day dry.
Ok, good to know. I do think that once he starts walking and is able to sit himself down on the potty, it will become more of his thing and not mine, kwim?

#68 of 281 Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Hi,

I wanted to join the "late starters" thread. I just started ECing this week with my 14-month old son and w/out much effort at all, I caught his first pee and then a poop as soon as he woke up this morning.....I hope this means we're off to a good start!

Good luck to all the other Later ECers!

Summer
#69 of 281 Old 06-14-2006, 03:54 PM

We started yesterday. Ds will be 1 year in a week. I wanted to EC from the start, but we had puppies and several other issues that were making it tough. Then ds got a bad diaper rash because I bought the wrong detergent in a sleep deprived moment so we were letting him run about nakey butt (he has started walking). After watching us use a diaper to wipe up a few "accidents" he started going to his diaper basket for a diaper and trying to wipe it up himself. Then we started bye-bye to his poo when I would shake it off his diaper into the big toilet. DH insisted on getting him a little potty chair, since there is obvious awareness of elimination. We had it through the weekind and ds checked it out, then we went potty together first thing yesterday and this morning. He was sooo pleased with himself that he started clapping and gave me a high five. He tried to get to the potty a bit ago and peed right in front, then later "helped" me pick up his poo and put it in his potty. This is fun!
#70 of 281 Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 PM

I think I qualify as a late starter although we did do a little when our DD was very small.

When DD was about 2 months old she would be dry in the morning, even after nursing, so DH or I would hold her over the toilet, make a cueing noise and she would pee. She did almost every morning until she was about 5.5 months old and then only sporadically, so we quit.

Fast forward to about 9-10 months. I woke up to her grunting and straining next to me. I realized that she needed to poo, and that she was struggling (probably due to recent intro of solids) so I held her over the toilet in a squatting position to help her. I decided to pursue EC again and bought her a BBLP. I now take her whenever I have to go myself, or if I see her straining or farting. She almost always goes, and we have caught almost every poo that has occurred at home. We have even had a few dry days. She is now 11 months.

My problem is that I have no idea when she needs to pee. The dry days have been the ones where I've been lucky enough to take her when she needs to go. I've been signing to a couple of words to her for several months but she has never signed back. I don't know whether to introduce the potty sign now or wait until she signs back the ones we have been using.

I'm glad to find more late starting ECers. It is so nice to hear of others having success.
#71 of 281 Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 PM

Uh Oh, DS is suddenly goingthrough a stubborn phase where he will not sit on the potty anymore. (The small one nor the big one with the insert.) He gets so angry that I have interrupted him and will scream and throw himself clear off. (Can you say wlecome to toddler hood?!) Anyway, I am finding thsi super frusturating as he was doing soooo well, was at the point I would say potty and he would crawl right over and sit on it and even go half the time! I KNOW this probably has to do with the fact he began walking this week but how do I get him back on track???? Any suggestions or ideas? Should I forgo the potty and just go back to the sink or tub for now? (If he'd let me that is)
#72 of 281 Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 AM

:
With my first, we introduced the potty to her at a very young age, but it was jsut to get her used to it. Despite a move and some very life changing situations in our family causing a few set backs, she was completely potty learned by 2.
With my second, she's 8 months old, and I think it's time to introduce her to the potty. [Our diapers are giving us issues, she's getting more rashes, and I think she'd be happier if she could forego the diaper changes altogether] I think I'll start giving her more naked time, and start looking for cues. My first gave plenty cues that she needed to go when she was a baby, but this one gives none at all! (Believe me, I've looked..and been peed on many times!)

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#73 of 281 Old 07-28-2006, 03:29 AM

No activity for awhile, but wanted to chime in on DasiyQ. Your DD will sign. I was signing (although not consistently) to my DD from the 1st month and she didn't really start signing back until about 12 or 13 months. Now she picks up new signs in a few days.

I'm new both to the board and ECing. We (DD is 15 months) started this week with a great day and half but it has been downhill since then. She went from happily sitting on the potty to refusing to. Lots of misses on carpet and other frustrations.

Getting lots of great advice from reading old posts here. Hoping more late-starters sign in again.
#74 of 281 Old 07-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Subbing. Caught a poop today (first time!), who knew a person could be so excited about poop?

I'm afraid I don't know how good at this I will be. I would like to not have accidents on the floor so we will keep using diapers but take him to pee frequently. So far, so good, although we're going through more diapers today as I'm trying to keep him dry. He always pees in the toilet too. He peed even outside today on a bush - I should maybe get one of those portable potties some of y'all have.
#75 of 281 Old 07-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Hi everyone!

Im a late starter.. just started really trying to work with him in the past couple of days, he'll be 6 mos. tomorrow! Catching the pees are actually not as hard as I thought. He was mostly diaper-free yesterday so I could really observe his patterns, every 30 min. that type of thing. I KNOW he has to poo though and he stops as SOON as I take off his diaper! I guess he loses concentration or something but he obvisouly holds it in again. it's been 2 days so I know we're up for a big one.. and I watch, wait and press on!
#76 of 281 Old 07-30-2006, 10:50 AM

Hi Ladies!

I was coming here to start a new post, but thought I would ask my questions here first.

Bea just turned a year a few weeks ago and even though ec'ing was something I had wanted to try, I never seemed to be able to get my act together and figure it out. duh.
Just last week I taught Bea the sign for Toilet and she's been using it before she pees or poops pretty consistantly. The problem is that we are out and about alot and she's not very familiar with a either a big toilet or a small potty (we don't have one) and seems pretty confused when I try to hold her over one. I guess the first step is to get a potty that she can sit on (she's walking), does this sound right? It seems kind of overwhelming, I don't want to ignore her cues, she's pretty clearly telling me when she needs to go, but our days are so crazy sometimes. It's not an all or nothing proposition is it?
#77 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 12:54 AM

Newbie here!
I am going to really try and do this on a regular basis. I have held him over the pot for a while, that signal is easy to read, and I noticed not to long ago that when he is about to pee he stops and plays with his crotch, when he is done he goes back to playing. I want to get something for him to use though. Should I get the toliet seat thing or the lil pot. What do you do with night time, he is a VERY heavy wetter and a TERRIABLE sleeper. I have always wondered if he wakes himslef up when he pees?: Looking for any suggestions of help.
#78 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM

We ec'd from about 12 months on with ds part-time. He would only potty for me and I work full-time so we did it mornings, evenings and weekends. We were miss free during that time until he was about 18 months and then he striked. I could only catch morning and afternap pees. But suddenly last week it has broke and he is taking himself to the potty at newly turned two. Yesterday he was diaper free with no misses. As long as he has access to his bblp he will go by himself no help. He gets so excited and does his little potty dance when he is done. He even had runny poos yesterday and made it to his potty both times. Ds also is behind in his language skills which everything I read lead me to believe it would also mean a late potty learning but he has proven this to be untrue. His very verbal and non ec'd sister did not PL until nearly 3. Any future babes will be ec'd from the start!
#79 of 281 Old 08-08-2006, 03:19 PM

WOOHOOOO we're a sticky now!

2babybees.. CONGRATS!!! that's great news! I read that around the time they go on a potty strike it probably means they are just about to graduate. Often they don't want us asking them anymore they want to do it themself. Congrats!
#80 of 281 Old 08-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Hello everyone, glad to have found this site! My son is 13 months and hates wearing a diaper and getting his poopy diapers changed. Really it takes two people to wipe and rediaper - no fun for him or us. This encouraged me to take on EC! We are anxiously awaiting our baby bjorn potty in the mail and for now using a cover over our toilet. I have yet to catch anything at all (trying not to get discouraged!) I haven't noticed any signs either, he always seems to go when I'm not looking, however, my husband and I are very dedicated! I have been cleaning up quite a few messes, luckily we don't have any carpet. I'm just trying to get the sign across to him so that he will understand when I sign "potty". For a while he refused to even sit on the cover but today he sat for about 30 seconds (its a start right!). We have family coming to stay soon and I'm not sure how they'll react....? I really hope he understands soon!
#81 of 281 Old 08-15-2006, 04:01 AM

hi all, I am also a late starter...started at 12 months and now he is 15 months. We had a good start and he would wake up and go straight to the bathroom and would pee in toilet and we would have days where we would catch most pees and poos and then we would go through 4-5 days of catching maybe one. : Anyway, the last few days he will back arch and fight when i go to put him on the toilet....he has been teething...

I wanted to get any advice on those of you who have gone through something similiar...what did you do...what worked...what shouldn't we do
#82 of 281 Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 PM

How did you get your son to use the potty when you started? How did you get him to use it for poop especially. My ds will pee in the potty right after a nap (usually) but other than that he pretty much refuses to sit on it. Any suggestions?
#83 of 281 Old 08-20-2006, 04:46 AM

What we did was first thing in the morning after he woke up, I would say "good morning lets go pee." I would put him on the toilet and we would read a book together and he would go pee. Once he started walking he would get out of bed himself and would follow me to the bathroom...now he leads the way....however he needs prompting otherwise he will head straight to the livingroom to play. It's been the same for poop. If I can catch him before he goes into the diaper then I put him on and we read books.

My only suggestion is do you have some favorite toy or books that he really enjoys reading with you? The books that we read together is what worked for us. Lately though what is working is that i let him flush the toilet....he really likes that...
#84 of 281 Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM

I only discovered modern cloth last month.
i have spent at least 500AUD and thenI start cottoning onto this idea of EC.
I have heard of it but more for toddlers.
I thought I could try it for my 3 year old.
For the past week i have been trying to watch my son for signs and we are hit or miss - once yesterday and twice today. So I am hoping he will get better- or should I say we will get better.
My baby is almost 10 mths and uponb reading for an hour on a site about pppl EC from birth it made so much sense
My baby hates nappy changes and tries to get away.
I don't think EC is more work than cloth as I have been washing.
I am thinking of getting a wrap sling and holding him in that without nappy.
Just til I get the idea.
I have always understood natural /attachment parenting but slings and EC is still new to me. I have no support in my area. They already think I am weird.

I am interested to know what clothees a EC baby wears to make it easier.
If I should get a couple of potties..?

I am starting EC part time tomorrow. Wish me luck.
#85 of 281 Old 08-29-2006, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi moms.

So ds is 19 mos old and has been watching me potty and saying uhoh when he pees on the floor for a few months. He's struggled with diaper changes since 8 mos old, so wish I had started this sooner. We've had the BBLP for a week and he has pooed in it once and peed a few times. Most of the time when I know he has to pee and lead him there he sits and sits and sits and then gets up and pees. I think he has a very hard time peeing sitting down.

So, should I teach him to pee standing up at the big potty? I don't know if he'll be able to stand still to do it though.

And should I started using cloth training pants instead of having him be naked? I think he thinks its fun to pee on the floor. Afterward we clean it up with a sponge and squeeze it in his potty and then he gets to dump it in the toilet which he likes.

Thanks
#86 of 281 Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 AM

:
#87 of 281 Old 09-07-2006, 04:10 PM

DD is 13 months, and now that I've decided to stay home from work, I want to try EC. I met another mom this week that was so passionate about it, she inspired me to try it out. I think I'll spend this week teaching her the toilet sign, and verbalizing about body functions a lot more, then next week, try out the potty. She seems to pee right after a nap, so maybe I'll start with that one, and go from there. At the moment, DD jumps off the change may as soon as her dipe's off, and pees on the floor, so I'll put the potty out and see what happens. I like the idea of reading to her on the pot-sounds like a good plan!

I have some questions about signs they give-she doesn't seem to have any pre-pee signs, but she kind of shudders as she pees. What are some common "symptoms"? I can tell when she's pooing, and just before (she gets very still), but she poos while she's in the highchair, so getting her down ina timely fashion will be hard. Any suggestions?
TIA!
It's great to hear success stories-and also the realities of ECing. Good luck!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#88 of 281 Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Glad to find this thread. Hi, Fridgeart!!

My baby is 12 months. We caught a poop yesterday and then this morning I was too brain dead to take her to the potty. She peed in her diaper. Drat. Tomorrow, I am taking her to the potty no matter how tired I am!

What should I be doing when I catch a poop? Act happy? Say "poop goes there" and point to the toilet?

Any suggestions are welcome.
#89 of 281 Old 09-10-2006, 03:07 PM

Paddy turned 13 months old today While he isn't walking alone yet, I don't think there is any reason why we can't start potty training him now. He loathes diaper changes, and that is only getting worse as he gets older. I don't blame him, I wouldn't like it either. Any advice is HUGELY appreciated!!

:
#90 of 281 Old 09-11-2006, 01:19 AM

Since E. is obesses with songs right now, and he has his definite favs, the first time I put him on the pot we sang The Ennsee Wennsee Spider and everytime he sits on it he starts his 'spider' TOO cute!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page