Later Starters Support thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't seen a thread like this and I hope others like me shall join in.

Here's our story:

I've been wanting to EC my son since he was around 6 months. After reading about missing the window of opportunity that comes before 6 months, I didn't pursue the idea further. I thought EC at that point would be like pulling teeth.

Odly enough, yesterday I decided to read over some more EC information. As it turns out, it isn't too late yet! The major reason that led me to be confident this time is that Galen -- now 13 months -- has been signaling to me to change his diaper when wet (we use cloth). For most of his diapering days I have left him coverless and have always changed his diaper as soon as I notice.

So today was our first day of EC. We tried pottying a few times, but Galen didn't pee or poop any of those times. He peed just after . I left him diaperless and am charting his pee to figure out a pattern. I know this is not a reccomended course of action, but I feel it gives me something more concrete to observe. I haven't been able to identify signs of when he is about to pee so far (and I've been paying super close attention but he pees just when I run off for a second to do something!). I know it's a waiting game, but I am very excited about all this Oh and he signed toilet one time after he peed on the floor I can't love this kid enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I have watched & waited for someone who is going for it 'late-in-the-game' Because I too, am wanting to try. But Gabriel is just turned 8 mo. old now...... Anyone have any advice for a babe this late on???
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 AM

I'm also really interested in this, but my youngest is almost 6 months.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:07 AM

im another late starter. i worked the 10+ month of luciens life. i read about EC before i was pregnant and wanted to do signing but with working a lot and some other circumstances, ive just now really started getting into both (hes 13 months.)

ive caught some pee and poop once. his signs arent really obvious but we are working on it.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to see there are other late starters coming out of lukrdom

The only sign I see from Galen is during and after he pees. He pats on his penis or diaper. I figure he is just so used to peeing in his diaper that if he does give signs just before they are very subtle, and it will take me a while to pick up on then. He is also a very active child, so I have to factor that in to the equation.

He is signing toilet (his variation) and once even signed it, walked to the toilet and then peed on the floor. Conicidence? Probably, but I took it as a small step in the right direction.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Pen

We are starting today! I just found out about this and think it's great. I hope we're not too late and I really don't know what I'm doing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

What gives me hope though is that during the day and early evening, I hadn't been using diapers consistently anyway. My dd would stop what she was doing and open her mouth slightly and I would have about three seconds to get a diaper under her. I had never thought about bringing her to the bathroom . And I had explained to her what she was doing so hopefully that will help. Of course, I can't tell anybody else what I'm doing because I can't take another morsel of criticism - not yet anyway.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! The more the merrier
Pen, how old is your baby?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Pen

My baby is almost seven months!! I can't believe it!! this works so well. Yesterday evening, we went out and bought a toilet topper and she used it as soon as we got home and then kept using it until bed time - everytime, including two poops. I am on such a high. I didn't expect it to go so well so soon.
Then today we had lots of errands. She would not use the public restrooms (I was holding her over them and she was freaked out.) So our last errand was to pick up a travel toilet - we got a portable one for the car and a folding one for the diaper bag. Now back home she has used it several times - no accidents and I even got her through a nap diaperless. I feel like I am doing such a good thing for her. The best part is that she is excited too. I feel like she has more trust in me and is saying, "finally, mom, it's about time you figured out what I've been trying to tell you."
I told my husband that this is as easy as breastfeeding!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

How amazing Pen! I am so happy for you. Please pass along the luck to the rest of us

What an amazing little girl you have. Of course you're an amazing mom for providing her with the EC option

On our end, we don't have a potty or a toilet seat insert yet. I hope to get both by the end of next week.

We've been EC-ing for a week now. Galen has progressed to stopping as soon as he notices he is peeing. He looks at me as if to say "mom, I'm peeing" then continues the rest immediatly after. He is very helpful will mopping up too I can't wait till we get the potty so we can embark on the next step. I feel like we are achieving a lot with EC-ing him despite odds.

I've heard that EC-ing is as easy as breastfeeding and that's what actually got me to finally do it (this is something I read in an article exactly one week ago )
Old 11-12-2005, 11:24 PM

I Just cant figure where to start...

My days are so filled with... well.... everything, that I am scared to try EC. I don't notice any signs, and if there are they are very subtle. I hope there is not alot of stress involved. I dont think I can handle more...
I have a 4yo & a 3yo I am CONSTANTLY breaking up/diciplining/cleaning/feeding/ect.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have any waterproof flooring in the area of the house you spend most of your time in? (laminate, hardwood, stone etc.) Accidents are a lot easier to handle that way though you still have to clean them up immediately (to avoid damage to the floors, though this also works in the best interest of EC) in front of baby and say something like "pee pee goes in the potty/toilet". You can also use a sign (toilet sign) at this point.

Most importantly try to get your older two involved. My 3-yr-old is a great help. If I walk away for a second she will tell me if Galen just peed. She will also help me mop up. She shows him how to sign toilet when he doesn't get it quite right (though I don't mind she thinks it's fun to teach her little brother). Also, Galen is always in the toilet when Siobhana pees and we talk about it then so she understands quite well what I am trying to achieve with Galen.

HTH a little bit.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Hi, we're late starters too! I recently posted "Is 9 months too late?" and got some great advice. I've decided to give it a shot.

I got a little potty from my sister and let DS play with it for a day before our first attempt. He loves to put stuff in and take stuff out.

Our first attempt was absolutely disastrous. We missed two pees on carpet (but caught one!) and when I took my bath, I brought DS into the bathroom and let him go diaperless in there. Big mistake! There was poop everywhere! Normally, I can tell when he's about to poop, but I was preoccupied with washing my hair and did not notice until it was too late. He was walking around in it and everything. And our bathroom is carpeted too. :

I put the potty away for two days after that incident! But we've been doing better since. The other day we caught two pees and a poop. We had a few pee accidents, but that's no big deal. I'll admit, I'm not being very consistent. I'm still not positive this is for us.

But, on a positive note, we are back in cloth completely (other than when we use the potty of course!). I re-read my post from before and was honestly ashamed that I was using disposables because of DS's icky poop. So, I decided to suck it up and just put him back in cloth. After dealing with the poop-bathroom mess, I can handle anything. Poop on a prefold doesn't look so bad now.

And what is the sign for toilet? DS isn't signing yet (even though I've been signing since he was 4 months) but I would like to get in the habit of using it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Pen

Oh My goodness! Poop on the carpet? I can't wait until I have that - ick, ick, ick.

Well, we have only caught one pee today - so much for my good luck. I figure she's said, "Well, Mom, it was fun..." But we're still hangin in there.

The sign for toilet is the thumb between the index and middle finger while your hand is in a fist. and then you waggle it?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Lou

I'm joining in, too!
My dd is 9 months.... and she's been poo'ing in the toilet for three weeks now! I've been interested in EC'ing for awhile, but just waiting for the right time. Life gets so chaotic sometimes so I have to decide my focus- I'm far from supermom! but... it's so easy to see when dd is ready to have a poo- she'll actually wait, squeezing her legs together- it's like she doesn't want to poo in her diaper. So we just go to the bathroom and I set her on the toilet, she usually poops right away. Peeing is a whole 'nother thing.... ah. She's still wearing her diapers, I hate to let her bare bottom get cold on our concrete & tile floors. So I figure we'll just stick with pooping in the toilet and having our little baby bjorns available, and peeing when we can, and maybe we'll get to a place when we do EC all the way. I'm seeing the light, though!!! Before we started pooping in the toilet, I thought it'd be impossible to do EC with a babe and a 3 yo, all the cooking, cleaning, running around, playing, etc.... but I now see how it is possible.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Lou

wanted to add that my first dd was peeing in the toilet full time when she was around 18 months old. I really feel like we did more EC rather than potty training.... we just let her go diaper-free, and were outside a lot where she could pee whereever she pleased- that really allowed her to be more aware of her elimination- having the potty available, bringing her in the bathroom while i went to the toilet, etc. for a looong time she only wanted to pee outside, though! seriously! she'd wake up in the morning and tell me she wanted to go outside and pee! so with this babe, I feel like we're on the right path towards being diaper-free.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

The last two days I've really cut back on ECing Galen. I've been sick and simply not in the mood to run around to every place that DS goes. I feel miserable about it and wonder if it's going to take us off track. So long as I think of EC as optional, I feel like it won't work out.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

double posted. whoops
Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 AM

I'm in

Angelo has started to not want to poop in his diaper. He really fights it. So tonight, I put him on the toliet. He did nto go yet, but he was cheering for himself saying "Yea!!!!" :

So.....he wants to go on again!

Then I popped on here and found this thread : I have been intimidated to try because he is so old (almost 13 months) but thanks to you mamas.....I am in!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 AM

HOOORAAAYYYY Angelbee!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
HOOORAAAYYYY Angelbee!!!
Awwwwww shucks! Thanks! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:21 AM

Gabriel Peed on the toilet this am... Im soooo absolutely thrilled!!! One less diaper is a GOOD THING!! My son is so great! We tried 2 other times today, once he peed on me : an the other he never went... But thats OK He is 8 mos. old & HE PEED ON THE TOILET THIS MORNING!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:30 AM

DD is 9 months, and despite knowing about EC and wanting to try it, I was too overwhelmed with the rest of my life (DH in law school, moving to NYC and back this summer, DS nursing non-stop, plus the usual SAHM workload). Finally about 6 weeks ago I started having DD pee in the toilet first thing in the morning, since I noticed she always went right after waking up. Well, now she goes all night without peeing, or if she wakes up and cries, I take her to the toilet, let her pee, and then we go back to bed (this has happened only twice). She doesn't sleep in a diaper anymore, and I am thrilled about that. So is she, she hates diapers!
This week a couple of times when I changed her (cloth) dipe she was dry, so I figured she might be ready to pee. I took her to the toilet, and sure enough she peed. Now I usually take her to the bathroom when I change her to give her the chance to pee if she wants. Today after her nap she peed, and as I was about to take her off the toilet, she started fussing at me, so I waited. Then she pooped too. I was completely overjoyed!!
So I'm not full-time ECing, I guess. But this week she seems to really be more aware that I'm trying to help her stay dry/clean. Anyway, even one less diaper each day is less laundry for me, so it's a win-win. Plus DS is so cute, he comes running saying "I want to watch her pee in the toilet!!" He thinks it's great, and tells his sister how smart she is when she's done.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:30 AM

Wanted to add: DD definitely is letting me know with little cry when she wants to poop, and we've caught her last three poops in the toilet (she's one of those bfed babies who poops only once or twice a week). But I have watched and watched her for a sign that she needs to pee - nothing so far. Is there anything I can do to encourage her to let me know?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 AM

I am new in this discussion... Our dd is 8 mo and I started to part-time ec about a month ago. I had noticed that she pooped a lot every morning right after getting up, often waking us up by being very unhappy before going in her diaper. So, those poops are very easy to catch by just taking her on the potty right away.

Within a week of starting to ec, she started to wake up in the middle of the night, fussing terribly. She had never been like this before. I tried everything from cleaning her nose to finally putting her on the potty and noticed that she would make a big pee every time. It took me weeks to realize that she simply needed to pee. Lately she goes once every early morning between 4 and 7 am and the past two nights her diaper has been dry.

I am thrilled.. in a way... However, I must say I got a bit more than I had hoped for, as I don't exactly love getting up in the middle of night. I think I will need to try bringing the potty in the bedroom, instead of getting up and going to the bathroom.

This really is quite thrilling. Yesterday dd surprised a friend of mine by peeing and pooping on their toilet during our visit. She thought it was just amazing and very cute.

I look forward to reading how you all are doing...

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Galen peed in the big toilet today

As I was saying earlier, I've cut back on EC quite a bit. I have now taken the approach of just tackling one phase at a time. My first focus is the pee just after waking up in the morning and after his nap. Since the beginning (over 2 weeks ago) he has been reluctant to use the big toilet despite me sitting with him, sometimes while I pee. Today he was alone on the toilet (facing backwards with his bum on the seat) supported by me. I sang to him to keep him from getting bored and then after a few minutes he peed.

I do know that DS definately has bladder control. Everytime I have tried to catch his pee mid-stream, I usually end up startling him (sudden movement and sound from me!) and he stops and then finishes a few seconds later. It's definately deliberate. He's too funny. I just need to stop startling him though!

Today I am dragging my DH to buy a potty for us. It's about time. I just hope to find a decent one at a decent price. I also hope that DS will be more interested in the small potty because it will be more suited to his dimensions. May be I'll get a toilet seat insert too.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Pen

We have cut back on ec too, I guess. All my luck is gone. We went from catching all to catching none and now it's better but I'm still discouraged. I'm cold, wet and doing lots of laundry.
I know that she is teething more this week and trying to walk by herself so maybe that's part of it. She has some element of control because she stops when I point out when she is peeing (usually on the carpet) or when I take her to the potty. I think she is startled out of her concentration and I fear that perhaps I have done something to make her not want to use the potty. I also don't know when she's going as often as I used to know.
Perhaps I should just focus on one part of the day, like morning when she's more predictable and put her back into a diaper at dinner time when we are most out of synch?
One thing we are definately not doing is using the toliet topper. Now, I think the best thing for her is to sit on my lap either on the toliet or on the bowl. I think that gives her a sense of security that she needs.
Anybody know what I might have done or what I might do differently.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen
...I fear that perhaps I have done something to make her not want to use the potty.
I fear this too. I wonder if I'm making too big a deal of his elimination that he gets turned off from doing it in the toilet. I'm trying hard not to let my fears take over, and to just go with the flow and not expect much.

Pen, your DD is going through the huge developmental stage of learning to walk. I've heard this is a difficult time to start EC because your baby's body is trying hard to develop in other ways. I've also heard that babys sometimes go through EC strikes during the time they are learning to walk. Teething is also another cause for distraction. Hang in there and may be after all this major development is over, you DD will be as predictable as before with EC
Old 11-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Pen

Thanks for the support, Siana. I'm thinking we should move to the laundry room to save travel wear on the carpet. .
Old 11-24-2005, 04:37 AM

im worried about lucien starting and stopping peeing.

im still figuring out lucien's signals. he seems to be more of a "time" baby. today i brought him to the potty after his nap (2 hours and didnt pee the entire time). he started peeing on my lap and when i went to move him he stopped. then when i set him down, he started again.

it seems like if i "catch" him and move him he will stop and hold it until i leave him alone again. i guess hes learning to control those muscles, im just concerned that it might be bad in some way.

any way to work with this?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Pen

Hi vegaenglit, I don't know if this is a good way to handle it or not but I had the same problem. I got a lap pad (something waterproof) and put a diaper, wash cloth or towel on top of it and just let her pee there. This way I could hold her and gently tell her what she was doing. I didn't have to worry about carpets, clothes or jumping up to bring her anywhere. Sometimes when I would see her start and jump to put her on my lap, she'd stop of course. But then, I'd let her nurse for a while and she'd relax and pee on my lap. A couple of days later, I got a bowl and kept it between my legs to warm it up and let her pee over it (without letting her touch the plastic because that freaked her out). This always got my lap wet but she peed and wasn't freaked out. A fews days later, she got used to the bowl and now will usually not mind her legs touching the bowl it if it's not too cold. I still take her to the toliet with me every time I go and have her straddle me and nurse (so much for icky nursing in the bathroom) and she goes sometimes. Do you think this might work for your situation?

User Tag List