EC'ers~WE DID IT! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, amidst all this diaper talk, I was thinking . . . "What if I just tried for a day to EC?" I woke up this morning and forgot and then I was reminded after I changed a diaper around 11:15 or so. Kenny was hungry, so I fed him and then I remembered on another recent thread being told to wait about 10 minutes after a feeding and try to catch a pee.

So, after I fed him, I went ahead and stripped him and took him into the bathroom and closed the door (the girls were making him nervous running in and out and pointing at his 'weenie' : ).

Well, I grabbed him by the thighs and let his butt sink down a bit and just kept rocking back and forth and saying "Pssssssss" over and over. My girls were cracking up outside the bathroom door!

Then, I let the water run after about 4 minutes of nothing. I put him down next to the sink and dripped a bit of warm water on his penis. Two seconds later he started to trickle. I lifted him up really quick and made the "Pssssssss" sound while he PEED IN THE SINK!!!! Yea!!!!!! So, I marked it down - but the question is . . . when will he do it again??? It is going to be so hard to catch pee, because he didn't give any facial reaction, etc. . .

Okay, and I'm not certain about catching poop - do you hold them the same way?

Heather - soon to be a prefolds and wool cover gal if Kenny learns to EC!!! HA! Now wouldn't that be something.
#2 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, WE DID IT AGAIN . . . it is only 15 minutes later and he is in the swing next to me diaperless here in the office and he starts grunting and moving around like he is uncomfortable.

So, I think - "Go with the flow, Heather." I take him out of his chair talking to him about needing to pee pee and take him to the sink. No water running, no warm water on the penis, nothing . . . I hold him over the sink . . .whisper "Pssssssst" and IMMEDIATELY he pees AGAIN!

And he toots.
So maybe a poop soon?

I know, my ongoing saga!
#3 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM

heather that is awesome
you are also pretty much garenteed a pee just after he wakes up.
we hold her in the same position for poops, but i am lazy and get tired of holding her in position so what we do most of the time, especially before we got the baby bjorn potty, is ...
i sit on the edge of the bathtub and sit her between my knees and hold her feet in the squat position...

good luck it realy is very easy once you get the hang of it.
we are now going out in training pants... i'm pretty proud of that
#4 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:26 PM

jumping up and down
glad to hear you got two in a row....
you two are naturals
#5 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:31 PM

I put Emily on the big potty sometimes and just hold her. Sometimes we catch some most days recently though we have been busy and miss most. But we are just doing what we can.
#6 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:46 PM

That's awesome!
The easiest time for catching pees for us is right after a nap. You have to be quick sometimes, though! Especially at first as Kenny is learning how to hold his pee and poop more.
As far as poop goes, just run as soon as you hear him grunt.
Do you think you'll keep it up? That's really fabulous!
#7 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:50 PM

Oh, and don't stress about misses. Tristan has peed on the carpet once and on me once today already :
#8 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:55 PM

Wow, Heather, that is great!

It sounds like you are getting the hang of it after only two pees!

Keep us posted on Kenny's progress. I am especially interested to hear when you catch a poop. From what I have heard, poops are even easier than pees to predict and catch!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#9 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Melanie,
I didn't think I'd understand the whole 'reading' him thing - so really, this was just a 'gimmick' day. I could never have realized how excited I would have been to catch 2 in a row! :LOL

However, Kenny is a big-time pee-pee King, so I'm sure I will miss a number of them, but today I'm trying to be a hawk-eye and see if we can't establish a routine. I have been trying to figure out his routine of pee/poop, etc. . . so I think this will help.

Heck yea, if I can get this figured out - he and me - I'll keep it up. He seemed 'happy' that I caught the second one. It was like he 'told' me and I answered him with a response. He was all grins.

The hard part - the grunting. He's a grunter. Some babies coo, but mine primarily grunts. So, I'm going to have to listen for the 'change' in his grunting. Maybe he'll kick his legs, adjust his body, furrow his brow or something too. I've taken him to the sink about 4 or 5 times in the last hour when he grunted and I can actually feel him pressing with his belly, but he might be trying to pee since that is what 'we' did before.

I'm thinking ahead to logistics. What do people do when they are in the car and their babies need to go and give them that 'sign?' I mean, does it frustrate the crud out of them when you aren't in a place to respond immediately? Does it discourage them in a sense?

I have Trickle Treat, but it is only a smidgeon of information . . . maybe I need to get that bigger book that is like 250 pages of EC wisdom.
#10 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 02:57 PM

Woohoo! Grats!

We have real good luck with voluntary pottying right before bath time at night. We were finding that DD was peeing in the tub as soon as she got in, usually before she sat down. It's relatively soon after dinner, usually, which helps move things along as well.
#11 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 03:04 PM

Heather, cool! Congrats!

I read Diaper Free by Ingrid Bauer (Sp? ) and really liked it.

I just wanted to comment you hadn't gotten the signs down yet? Well, it took me a good MONTH of just relying on timing before I felt that I was getting some signals. Really! It's not something you can either do or you give up, it's something you learn and it takes time! We've been doing this 2 and a half months and tho I can now read a lot of signals I still rely heavily on timing. With my kid it's not 10 minutes after eating, he sometimes starts making a poop face DURING eating (solids). And it's not immediately after waking, but maybe a few minutes after.

Anyway, good luck and have fun with it

Oh, and if you miss, don't sweat it, just say "psssssss. You peed! Let's get a dry dipe on you" or something matter of fact like that. Even if you miss every single time one day, you can still foster communication by telling him what he's doing.

I've noticed for me that every single time I've had a 100% catch day, it's followed by a "miss almost every single time" day, lol! Maybe I get cocky?
#12 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ShannonCC
Oh, and if you miss, don't sweat it, just say "psssssss. You peed! Let's get a dry dipe on you" or something matter of fact like that. Even if you miss every single time one day, you can still foster communication by telling him what he's doing.
Okay, that's what I just did. We were sitting here and I felt warmth on my leg and I said, "Ooopsy, Kenny went pee pee" and whished him off to the sink and said "Psssssst" over and over a few times (this time with both of my daughters doing it with me). They are now EC'ing their teddy bears.

And who says that children don't imitate! HA!
#13 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 03:36 PM

LOL, Heather!
When we're in the car and Tristan has to pee, if it's possible, we stop and I pee him into a clean diaper. But, we always go out as a family and DH drives. When we can't stop for whatever reason, Tristan just goes in his diaper. At this age, it doesn't bother him all that much. He'll fuss for a minute, go, then act like "ok, change me now!" So, I just get him into a clean diaper as soon as possible.
We EC at home and on trips, but I only go diaperless at home right now. We're not in sync enough to do that going out.
I also recommend _Diaper Free!_. It's really a great book and an interesting read.
#14 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll be on this board all day with this new thing we are doing! HA! I just fed him again and I'm sure he'll need to pee in a few. He hasn't pooped since around 10:30, so I'm curious when the next bm will come.

Thanks for the book review. I'll go through Powell's so MDC can get some $$$!
#15 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

WE JUST PEED #3!!!!

I'm getting a bit too giddy about all of this! :LOL
#16 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:03 PM

That's great!! Isn't it the best feeling taking ds to the potty and him USING it?!
We have been doing EC for almost 2 months now and it definately gets easier. It's like I just "know" when ds needs to go and take him. Poor dh, never sems to catch much though.
#17 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MammaMel
That's great!! Isn't it the best feeling taking ds to the potty and him USING it?!
Well yes, actually, but we've been using the sink. I'm sure I'll not want to use the sink for BMs (but then, I disinfect it anyway, so why not?).
We had a poopy mishap and he never grunted . . . just went into the diaper I have him sitting on in his bouncy chair while I made the girls lunch.

I SOOOO wanted to catch the poop, but that was a loose wet one . . . would have splattered!
#18 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:26 PM

We started out using the sink too, but dh wasnt very happy about it lol.
#19 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I like to 'watch' for it though. Also helps me aim and Kenny seems to be calmer (maybe because I'm more comfortable).

He's napping now . . . so, I'll try to catch it again right when he wakes up.
#20 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:35 PM

Wow, Heather, I better finish your soaker before it becomes unneccesary!!

I want to try EC! I did the sound effects for a few days, well, maybe a day, when Eli was first born. As far as I'm concerned, communication is good. Maybe I'll try again a little bit.

Heather, you've inspired me.

Really, I think it's the laziness factor that keeps me from really committing to trying EC 100%. To be completely honest.
#21 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 04:42 PM

Heather--
this is awesome!! I love your enthusiasm! A couple of comments...

In the car if ds had to go I would just say "it's ok to go in your diaper, we'll change you as soon as we can" Some people bring along potties

About poops, I don't know the name of it but there's a digestive reflex that starts when the individual starts eating and then leads to pooping. It might not be as visible in a tiny baby who's nursing all the time but easier to tell in an older baby or toddler who's eating less often. Some signs to look for for poops are the baby getting really still and quiet, or getting a certain look on his face (can't describe it, it's just a look :P)

I used the sink only at the very beginning and the started squatting down or kneeling and holding ds over the toilet, with the seat up and facing the back of the toilet.

Isn't EC such a cool thing .....

Vicki
#22 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hlsanders

I'm thinking ahead to logistics. What do people do when they are in the car and their babies need to go and give them that 'sign?' I mean, does it frustrate the crud out of them when you aren't in a place to respond immediately? Does it discourage them in a sense?

I have Trickle Treat, but it is only a smidgeon of information . . . maybe I need to get that bigger book that is like 250 pages of EC wisdom.
i hatecar rides for this reason! actually what i say to dd is i know you have to go pee pee but we are in the car, and i can't take you right now. you have a diper on and you can go in the dipe and i will change you as soon as we get home. she may get frustrated but i don't think she gets discouraged
i have the big book, but i never read the whole thing... i am always lending it to other people
have you been to ahleema's web site? it has a lot of great info and every emaginamble link to other ec sites
#23 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

Heather, this is so cool. I was so interested in EC but didn't give it a good go until Jake was older. So he "tells" me when he has to go poop. Man, I haven't changed a poopy diaper in like 3 months or so. He always goes on his potty. It's SO COOL! Family & friends are always like, "You don't know how lucky you are" and "You do know this is a freak of nature and you won't ever have this happen again." :LOL

We're totally doing EC from the get go with #2 WHO I HOPE WE CONCEIVED LAST NIGHT. :LOL

Anyway, you've brought up a ton of questions I've had myself... like what do do in the car etc. Very cool thread!
#24 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by pamelamama
Wow, Heather, I better finish your soaker before it becomes unneccesary!!
Well, dipes and covers will be needed for a good while still - esp. at night!!
#25 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonbucket
We're totally doing EC from the get go with #2 WHO I HOPE WE CONCEIVED LAST NIGHT. :LOL
Keep us posted, 'k?'

Yes, this is pretty cool . . . so sayeth Kenny who loves all the attention!!

Thx for the car suggestions! And it makes sense that you can release them to 'go' in their dipes if you can't get to it right then!!

I made a 'chart' to see a pattern. I know - there goes my anal self, but it'll help me get this together in my head faster . . . his 'schedule,' I mean.
#26 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:18 PM

cool! I'm so glad to see a mama with other children doing this. I've mentioned to my mainstream-but-open-minded friend that I'm thinking about ECing with the new baby (to avoid the potty training issue, which I'm really not enjoying!) and she says that I'd be suprised how hard it is to pick up on stuff like "poopy faces" when there are two kiddos around. Makes sense, but makes me want to do it more b/c it means that I'll have to pay attention to my second child like I did my first, KWIM?

The EC group here seems to grow and grow. I'm not totally committed to it (thus why I'm still building a stash), but I AM totally committed to at least giving it a shot...out of laziness (like I said, I'm truly hating potty training!).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#27 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:20 PM

Wow Heather, how exciting!!! It's soo cool isn't it?

Darshani
and Abi (former EC'd baby)

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#28 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Missed poop twice now . . . he just hasn't changed his face or anything.
#29 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 06:03 PM

Wow, that's great Heather. LOL about your girls peeing the teddies, hehe.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#30 of 99 Old 02-14-2003, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops . . . I wasn't watching and he peed in my daughter's pink cup at the sink. She WAS watching and scolded him proper. Then she refused to take it to the kitchen because it had 'boy pee' on it. Something I should know about boy pee? HAHAHA!

He's napping now . . . 2nd nap today. Hopefully I can catch the 'after nap' pee.

I have been online all day - well, since 11:15. This is getting ridiculous. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page