can anyone give me feedback on EC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2003, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS Andrew is 18 months old he is cloth diapered but extremly sensitive to everyting!!!

His diapers are changed right after he goes and I basicly know when he is going he is in the sling or the ergo all the time.

I have tried to get him to go on the potty a few times but he gets upset with me when I hold him there.

He goes threw the night and naps without going.

Any tips? anyone else a late EC?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 12:30 PM

We started at ten months.

When dd started refusing to submit to diaper changes, we stopped diapering her, at home.

It's messy at first, but I do find it easier to clean up a mess from the floor than from an unwilling bum. And then, in time, you see progress, lots of it, and it's amazing!

I think that a child your ds' age might be a more willing participant. Many children begin potty training at that age.

A few tips: my dd prefers standing to pee, maybe your ds would too?

If dd looks like she has to go, but she doesn't want to, we give her an item to hold in each hand. We also, if possible, hold her up to a mirror (e.g., over the bathroom sink).

If we need her to go pee or poo before we leave the house, I initiate a very active game of follow-the-leader. She usually has to go after running or playing vigorously.

The sound of running water is hard to resist.

Sometimes, when she is resisting (can you tell that we've been thru a few potty strikes of late?), I turn on the tv and hold the potty up to her. Often does the trick.

Some babes prefer the big potty. You could get a flip-and-flush-like seat. Maybe it would be less intimidating to him. Annielx recently suggested to me that I warm the toilet seat first, so that it's more welcoming to the little bum.

Oh, and you can buy somewhat absorbant toddler underwear at Walmart and places like that. They hold poo, but not pee. Your ds might think that they are cool, my dd certainly does.

Hope that helps! Have fun with it!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the tips Dodo. My dd is 10 months and we're dipping our hand in the EC experience. We've caught a few here and there.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.
I don't think he likes the big potty, LOL

So I have the little potty seat in my car I will bring in (we keep it in the car incase Matthew has to go on the road, I don't like puplic restrooms)

I tried this Am to get him to go potty but he did not like the big seat as soon as he got off he peed. So I think I will try the standing up over the sink

Thanks for your tips
Liz
Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 PM

Liz! Oh wonderful maker of my favorite diapers

How about seeing if he will stand up and pee on a diaper? Sounds nuts I know, lol! But if the goal is to avoid diapers cuz of rashes, then that will solve the problem! Yeah, you still have laundry, but it's still elimination communication! I'm thinking a prefold and he can stand on it, or squat on it. Or even poop on it if he's willing. That would be easier (IMO) then standing him up at the sink each time he has to go.

A lot of EC moms have mentioned being in places where toilets weren't available (or were disgusting) and having their babies pee into a prefold. (holding the baby over the prefold, but for an older kid he could stand)

Good luck!

(oh and the best thing about EC is that my new dipes have yet to get pooped on LOL!)
Old 02-26-2003, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shannon,
Happy you like my diapers

Thanks for the tip.. I am starting to think it is not EC but, Early Potty training that I am looking at.

I used to hold a prefold under matthew when I did not have a place I could let him go.

Both of my boys had this rash and Matthew potty trained himself just after he was a year old, I was pregnant with Andrew at the time and I was always going pee and he wanted to be just like me and go also.

I basicly know his cues of when he needs to go I just can't get him to go in anthing but a diaper When he pees He makes a AHH AHH sound and points to his diaper right before he goes, and You can't miss one of his poops, LOL.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:35 PM

I don't know about EC - but how about reading to him while he sits on the potty? My son started toilet learning around 19-20 months and that was one way I could get him to sit on the potty for a short period of time. A little potty is also much less 'scary' for them.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:51 AM

At first, it's the different process that ds will have to get adjusted to. What I would suggest is try changing him in the bathroom (or where the small toilet is) for like a week. If you know when he "goes", take him to the bathroom 1-2 min before he does it. Pick a hand signal or a simple word (if he talks) for "going to the bathroom". Say it everytime you bring him there so he can tell you later on. It will take about ~1-2 mo. before he will tell you. If he doesn't want to sit on the toilet, just let him go on the floor stand in the bathroom or prefold or the sink. Make a "ssss" sound or whatever you pick for "going" when he pees/poop. Then wipe and change him. Then tell him that he went to the bathroom and explain what he did, how you would like him to continue that, etc. After 1 week of standing, try letting him sit on the small toilet again. Keep trying, but don't pressure. If he stands up, let him. The best time to get him to sit on the small toilet is 1st thing in the morning and after naps.

I hope this helps. It will take time, but he will eventually get it. Children are very smart.

User Tag List