Thinking about starting, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (10 mo) really takes his own sweet time when pooping. His favorite time to do it is when he's sitting in the highchair eating breakfast or lunch. Sometimes I swear it takes him 15 minutes (complete with comedy routine) to get it all out.

As for me, I think I have the patience to sit with him at the potty and wait it out. However, I don't think he can sit still that long. Anyone BTDT? How do you deal with this?

I'm not even ready to think about pees. The other day, we were airing out a rash and he was peeing like every 10 minutes for an hour or more. How in the world would I catch all those?
#2 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm not ecing at the moment as I'm waiting for a new arrival but I ec'd dd quite late and one of the first things I did was catch her poos.

If you know when he is going to do it then you are already more than halfway there! Maybe sitting inthe chair trying to poo is part of the problem with him taking a long time!? It really is so much easier to poo in the potty or the toilet I'm sure.

Try it - what have you got to lose? One less sticky bum and dirty nappy....
#3 of 9 Old 05-03-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well...it's just that he doesn't START trying to poo until he's been sitting in the high chair for a few minutes. Today when I saw him starting, I removed him from the chair, took his diaper off and sat on the toilet with him between my legs, but he didn't like it and I couldn't keep him sitting there long enough to do anything.

Maybe it's time to buy a potty?
#4 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I would try buying a little potty. I found one at the store the other day that is very similar to the BBLP, but it only cost me $5! Also, my dd seems to like sitting on it by herself while she looks at herself in our full length mirror. Maybe having something to "do" besides just sit there would be good for him. And besides, don't men like to read a book while going?
#5 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Well, I caught a tiny turd this morning! He was just about done eating and started making his poo poo faces, so I whisked him out of the high chair and to the toilet. He did manage to push out a tiny poo, but then got fussy and wouldn't finish. Next thing on the agenda was walking the dog, and of COURSE he did a big ol' poop in his diaper while sitting in the backpack for 30 min. Yuck!
#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Congratulations!
#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 07:21 PM

If your son is standing well and likes to stand (at 10 months, my DS just stood at the coffee table all day playing), then you might try helping him stand/squat on the toilet rather than sitting. Having the feet firmly planted helps give them leverage to poop - hence the advantage of a little potty that allows the feet to touch the ground, which I would also recommend if you haven't gotten one already. I help my DS stand with one foot firmly planted on either side of the toilet seat and me supporting him under the arms or around his chest. He faces the back of the toilet, so I keep a few books or toys on the toilet tank to hold his interest and keep him hanging out there long enough to finish. He often takes 10-15 minutes to finish pooping (it comes in several waves, and I wait a while to make sure he's actually done). During this time, he will generally alternate between standing and squatting several times, and this seems to help move things along. To minimize the splash from poop falling from so high up, I put some toilet paper in the toilet first. Also, you need to be on the lookout for him to start peeing too, and you may need to slightly adjust his position on the toilet to catch it all.

Mom to DS1 : 11/2004 and DS2 12/2008; happy to have discovered ECing, co-sleeping, and tandem nursing during our journey together

#8 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is great advice! DS isn't standing by himself yet, but it shouldn't be long. I guess I'm off to buy a potty!
#9 of 9 Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
we were late starters and i too noticed that dd tended to poop when sitting in her swing (hadn't started highchair yet) ... but that is a good time to introduce the potty so that your dc can associate poop with potty rather than highchair (or swing). bblp provides a nice posture for easy elimination - feet on ground and not dangling, ,etc. once the poop is falling away and not sticking to him he may relax more and be able to eliminate in shorter span of time. maybe...

incidentally by the time my dd was using a highchair we had made up our own sign for potty which was essentially a raised hand, often accompanied by a grunt. she often used this sign mid-meal when she felt the urge. later it got ot he point where seeing food ready or talking about food would trigger the impuse so that she was able to eliminate before the meal rather than interrupt the meal. Even now often as we are planning to eat she will realise she needs to go and get that done so that she can relax and enjoy her food.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page