Newborn Screams when she pees!! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My three week old SCREAMS (red in the face, not breathing...) every time I hold her over the pot. I feel like I'm torturing her! Then, every time I decide she probably doesn't have to pee and start to move her, that's when she starts to go! I feel really bad though, even though I'm excited about EC. She looks like she's in pain! I almost wonder if she has a UT infection or something! I'm also worried that I'm not going to get too much support from family, since it looks like I'm torturing the poor thing!! Especially MIL, who happens to be a Psychologist!
Help! Will this pass? (no pun intended...)

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 10:33 PM

Be Patient! The first few times I tried to position my ds he refused and fussed and would pee as soon as I laid him down. You don't have to position your dc to make ec work. You can start out with just communicating by cueing to your dd and watching her cues. My ds wore prefolds without a cover and anytime he peed I made the sssss sound and said "pee-pee". For the first two months (we started ec at 6 weeks) we just peed in open prefolds or communicated when he peed while wearing the prefold. Eventually I was able to put him on the big potty with a child potty on top or take him outside and hold him in the squatting position (he pees easily outside for some reason). Now if he doesn't want or have to go he arches his back or looks away and tries to play with something (he is 5 months old now).

I hope this helps. Just keep it gentle and maybe don't practice when others are not so accepting or if their weird looks and disapproval really bother you. Part-time ec-ing works too.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.
I guess I feel like once she starts to get the hang of it, she might be confused when I just let her pee in her diaper! I think I'm going to order one of those flannel prefold belts, maybe that will help. Maybe I just won't do it when other people are around. Also, we have days where I don't do it at all because we have to go to the midwife for a visit and then I swing by someone's house, etc.... I guess I'll just take it one day at a time and not worry about catching everything. Maybe I should stop holding dd in position? A lot of times, she's fine while I'm holding her there, she just starts screaming right before and while she's peeing... it's weird. Usually she calms right down afterward too.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

It can be scary, just like bath time or anything 'new'.
Especially if you are feeling a little nervous, baby picks up on that and intensifies the feelings.

When my babes were that age, I would step into the bathtub and while still holding them, kind of lift their bottoms outwards so they peed or pooped in the bathtub. (It took me a couple of times before I figured out how to get them from peeing on my legs ), then just rinse out the tub.

I didn't use the toilet until they were more relaxed at sitting/squatting.

HTH.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
try some different postions. One good newborn position is with them leaning back on your forearm with your hand sort of cupping their tush. I would do sort of a cradle-carry. many babes don't like the traditional position with the hands under the thighs until they are much older. Also keep in mind that your baby has never felt herself pee before she was born, so that alone is probably a really uncomfortable and sometimes almost painful feeling. She is communicating that she is uncomfortable and wants it to stop but she is just realizing that she has some part in that

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 AM

I honestly didn't get up the courage to hold dd over anything until she was 5 weeks old. Before that I just let her go in a prefold (she just laid on the prefold) and I observed her timing and signals and gave her the psss and hmmm cuing sounds. When we moved to holding her over containers she knew what it was about as soon as I made the cuing noises. So don't worry about the position so much. Use this time to learn more about your baby's habits and to get her used to the cuing noises. Another thing that I do is to hold her prefold on with a onesie and then I know when she pees and I can give her the psss sound and change her immediately so she doesn't get used to being wet. It has worked well for us. At 4 months dd started being very consistent and now at 6 months we hardly have any misses at all (except when I'm feeling lazy/tired at night ). Just relax, do what is comfortable for you, and you'll be doing great!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :

User Tag List