ok...who does complete nakey-bum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have yet to be daring and have ds be without a diaper around the house. We've done it for maybe 10 min after a pee we've caught so I know there won't be a miss I am wondering who has their babe go around the house bare? My ds is only 4 months and is held or in a carrier a lot. I'm wondering...when without a diaper would a baby more likely to cue? Or do they just go? Ds hardly ever cues so that's why I'm nervous about it.....

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 15 Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I started by taking the diaper off (at 2.5 weeks old!)! I would do periods of time each day without a diaper (like 30 min for a while, then longer and longer until i felt like i could go for a walk outside or to the store). She has always done much better with it off. now that doesn't mean in the beginning i didn't have something between me and her for just-in-cases...
trust me, you start noticing every little thing when it's that critical you notice!
and while i don't like it, she hates to "go" at night, so i've always used a sposie (ugh)
good luck!
(nak)
#3 of 15 Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 PM

We started at 3.5 months with him nakey at home. Ds will be 5 months tomorrow and we've had great success. When we're out and he's diapered it's harder because I don't know when he exactly goes, so it's harder to judge when he'll need to go next.
I find he rarely pees or poos while we're holding him. If we have a miss it's when he's on the floor playing, so I usually play him down on a mat or blanket. If he goes a bit, I just switch it out for a new one. Ds loves being free. He rolls over much better and scoots backwards when not in a diaper. He lifts his legs and holds his feet better. He hasn't had a rash since we took the diapers off.
He is definately holding poos until the next "pottytunity", and he definately "gets it" with the pees, too, because sometimes when we take him he gets only a trickle out. It really is amazing what they understand at this age. I'm so proud of him.
My advice: just ditch the diapers at home. Keep something under him at all times if you're worried about misses. If they happen, no big deal. It works for us.
Good luck!
Maria

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#4 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

ok...so people who don't do diapers do you prefer to just do nakey at home or do you use little underwear? We've been using diapers the entire time and just catching as much as we can. Maybe it's time to take it to the next level....ack...don't know if we can afford little trainers on top of the dipes we just bought.....

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#5 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 08:59 AM

my baby is naked about 90% of the time during the day (if we are at home, i still use diapers while out). he's 8 months and we've been ecing for about 2 months. at first i was wiping up a lot of pees (and even a few poos) but now its like we have a rythym and we hardly ever miss. this past week i think i only cleaned up one pee. and he does the coolest thing: he'll pee just a little bit and then will hold it once i see til i get him to the potty! with a boy having him naked really helps because you can often see when he needs to go...

if i think a poo could be on its way and he's not going sometimes i put a diaper on him but since its the old fashioned toweling kind that you fold i get too lazy to keep taking it off and putting it back on so he usually ends up naked again..

anyway, for us i would say taking the plunge and getting through the first few messy weeks really paid off in the long run.
#6 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee
ok...so people who don't do diapers do you prefer to just do nakey at home or do you use little underwear? We've been using diapers the entire time and just catching as much as we can. Maybe it's time to take it to the next level....ack...don't know if we can afford little trainers on top of the dipes we just bought.....
i got really into the idea of trainers and underwear and bought a few pairs and made some but i havent really used them. i think i was just into it because they are so cute.

but for me naked is just easier. taking things on and off, whether its diaper or underwear, just slows down the pottying. i think the trainers will come in use though once i start getting brave enough to EC when we go out.
#7 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM

We do naked time, but not for long periods. MT is nearly walking, doesn't signal much anymore and I often miss the subtle cues he does give out. With our new carpet and MT's busy-ness, it works better for us to do naked after potty times for a few minutes each day. Plus, he's apparently allergic to the carpet fibers, and naked crawling gives him a terrible carpet burn that gets raised, red and will even crack and bleed (his excema is so bad it's crazy). So, long pants all the time in the house for him until he's walking more than he crawls.

\BUT, when we get to that point, we'll do underpants. Just to catch the spray.
#8 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS is 5 1/2 months, and lately I've been having him nakey-butt more often (though he's still in diapers most of the time.) He's lying here nursing on the Boppy right now in nothing but a shirt. Having him naked or in underwear or a coverless dipe is useful for helping me identify subtle signals that I may not pick up on it when he's wearing a diaper (because I find out right away when he pees, so it's easier to connect it with what he was doing right before.)

A totally naked bottom is convenient because there's nothing to take off and because I can check his penis for signs he might be about to go, but I also like having underwear on him so I don't have to worry about pee getting all over if I miss one. I've been using his big sister's 2T cotton training pants some of the time the last couple of days. (He's about 19 pounds already, so they fit him quite well.)
#9 of 15 Old 05-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil
I've been using his big sister's 2T cotton training pants some of the time the last couple of days. (He's about 19 pounds already, so they fit him quite well.)
oooh, thanks for the heads up on that one. dd weighs 20 pounds and i hadn't thought about getting training pants for at-home time, but i think that would work perfectly. thanks, mama!
#10 of 15 Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM

I am terrified to go diaperless all the time too. when I set her down I will have her diaperless. useually this is just on a towel in the bathroom while I do other things (like use the potty myself) and she will useually go then, but I almost always miss it compleatly. we do diaperless sometimes when I am at the upstairs computer. I will put a pillow on my lap, then a folded towl, then a pf under her butt. when we are on the couch though (as little as I care about these old crappy couches) I am too afraid to go without one because of the werid ways we wedge ourselves into it. I just dont know how to put something under her. I dont really care if she pees on me. I am washable. but the couch would take some time to dry and I like sitting. I have some fitteds though that I use without covers and I try to put a pf under that. I also notice that when I have a fitted w/o a cover or anything that I pay more attention. however when I am upstairs on the computer and she is diaperless I get absorbed and we have more misses. its really annoying.....
#11 of 15 Old 05-15-2006, 01:33 AM

I think I've foun that my dd (only one month old) cues me better when she doesn't have a diaper on. Its almost as if she knows its a bit more important!
I was really skeptical of ec after dd was born, because I was so overwhelmed. "Luckily" she got a really bad diaper rash which spured me to have her naked all day and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! Just put some diapers underneath her. I also LOVED how comfortable she looked! Her legs were able to fall onto eachother naturally, without all the bulk. Now I keep her naked as much as I can, I tend to put diapers on her when we have company, and definitely when we go out...

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#12 of 15 Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 AM

We've been naked at home right from the get go. It sure is easier to clean skin than wash clothes! Plus I think it helps with movement skills and long-term comfort with sexuality/body image (there is no such thing as "down there"). DS now gets excited to see clothes because he knows it means we are going outside.

DS also goes to the potty by himself and only asks me for help to wipe his bum so I don't have to jump up and help him with pants--which is a good thing with #2 on the way.

Nudity is as much a philosophy for us as practicality. You have to do what works for you!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#13 of 15 Old 05-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My youngest cued best as an infant when he was dressed and then went through a period where he cued better when nakey so we would weight the situation at any given time and do what worked. I was never afraid of getting peed on (it's only happened a handful of times when he was very tired and I was very distracted), so it was just about weighing the trouble of cleaning up a puddle vs, changing his clothes. We also knew his patterns pretty well so we knew how long we'd have before he'd need to go again. He was rarely ever in diapers (we used training pants) so a miss was pretty noticeable and it wasn't too hard to get his pants on and off. We only did waterproofing when out (which wasn't very often) and at night, as we'd discovered with DS1 that waterproofing messed us up.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#14 of 15 Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM

We just set aside a bit of money to have the carpets professionally cleaned on a regular basis. Takes a lot of the stress out of going bare bum.
#15 of 15 Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil
I've been using his big sister's 2T cotton training pants some of the time the last couple of days. (He's about 19 pounds already, so they fit him quite well.)
My ds is also 5 months and 19lbs..I've been meaning to dig out big sis's 2t training pants as well once I figure out where I packed and stored them.

Ds goes nakey-butt about 50% of the time. Sometimes I use pj bottoms or shorts without anything underneath or with a prefold stuffed in them. We have our share of accidents, most attributed to me being otherwise occupied (housework, computer, phone) But I would say 90% of the time we are on track without messes.

I'm not sure why I put pants on him. Arboriamoon brought up an interesting concept, the philosophy of naked, which I'd really never considered. It makes a lot of sense and surely must be more comfy for baby. I think the reason I started putting pants but no diaper on was one day I answered the door holding ds nakey butt. It was SIL, who made a silly comment (look at those parts or something to that effect). I worried that others might not want to see ds naked, although it doesn't bother us. Of course, SIL is very traditional and commented on dd being nakey butt back when she was 2. When does privacy become an issue?? Just pondering...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page