I've been studying up on EC but still have a few questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-05-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, there is great info on this board regarding EC and some really great links. I have learned a lot.
We are in week one of EC and my DD is almost 10 mo.

Day 2 ~ caught poo
Day 3 ~ caught pee
Day 4 ~ caught 2 pees
Day 5 ~ caught 2 pees so far...

Is this good? In all the info I've read there is not really anything on how things should go your first few weeks.

Do you recomend: A ~ A naked butt
B ~ training pants
C ~ just regular clothes with no undies
D ~ dipe with no cover?
Or F ~ other?

Any signs ( besides the obvious) I should be looking for?

For you late starters ~~~ As you look back on your first month, do you wish you had something that you didn't have or known something that you didn't know?

And lastly ~ Any words of wisdom? I'm getting discouraged.

TIA
Shellee
#2 of 5 Old 03-05-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bellee
Hi, there is great info on this board regarding EC and some really great links. I have learned a lot.
We are in week one of EC and my DD is almost 10 mo.

Day 2 ~ caught poo
Day 3 ~ caught pee
Day 4 ~ caught 2 pees
Day 5 ~ caught 2 pees so far...

Is this good? In all the info I've read there is not really anything on how things should go your first few weeks.
One thing I like about Elimination Communication is that there is no 'standard' to measure by - there isn't supposed to be. Success is in doing it period. No pressure on momma - no pressure on baby. It took me a REALLY BAD - CANNOT CATCH ANYTHING day to understand the fullness/importance of that one thing.

First few weeks AND beyond (because baby will go in and out of 'strike' times - or just developmental times when they are less communicative and we might be more busy keeping them out of a plant than watching for the 'pee/poop' signs) just shows us that they can let us know and to be aware.

And if you are 'communicating,' then you are doing a SLAMMIN' JOB!

Recommendations: Around the house we use cpfs with a snappi fastener. We did naked time the first 2 weeks b/c I wanted to force myself to be watchful. And believe me, with a naked son - I learned to be attentive. After that we just were coverless and I use my SugarPeas, (2) Poquito Pants another member was precious to pass my way * thanks!* , and my cpfs with snappis (that is my primary EC stash). When we are out and about I still use FBs b/c I don't want him to feel wet if he has to go when in the car seat or at a time I might not 'see' him and know that he needs to go. That happened last night at Souper Salad. He was with dh while I got the girls their plates. I came back and he was grinning - no signs. Later he got fussy so I took him to the bathroom, but before I could get him to the potty he blew up the back of this FB. Well, we were 'en route,' and he knew what we were doing - but had to go. And when you gotta go, you gotta go! :LOL

Quote:
Any signs ( besides the obvious) I should be looking for?

I'm in 'learner' mode myself, but I look for any 'change.' For poopies he ALWAYS grunts and makes a heck of a lot of noise. For pee, he often just starts wiggling and doing this aa-aa-aa-aa sort of pant. If he's wet or soiled he just cries immediately. Not a 'broken hearted come and get me,' but a "GET THIS OFF ME!" cry!

I started with Kenny at 9 weeks - so I can't help you with late starting, but I want to tell you not to stress. The way I see it - this is a language that you are developing with your child. Much like sign language or any other language . . . it takes time and patience and you are always learning. The same way you know when your child needs to eat, sleep, etc. . . you will come to know that your child needs to eliminate.

Keep it up and come back for support!
#3 of 5 Old 03-05-2003, 09:24 PM

i'm a late starter (well Aidan is), and he is 12 months old. we started about a week ago.

i highly recommend a nudie baby. i caught 2 poops today, and about 5 pees. when he is in a diaper, i'm not this good

we also started at 10 months, and i didn't have a baby potty...do you have one? it was a nightmare, can we say mostly b/f poop and a baby who doesn't want to sit on the potty... you can imagine. i gave up, and then Laurie's book arrived from inter-library loan, and here we are

get a potty. i got one at walmart that plays music when you tap the handle. in retrospect i would have gotten the one from walmart (fisher price i believe) that plays music when baby pees or poops. in fact, we'll be getting that one regardless as soon as $ is better.

ooh, i wanted to add. Aidan does not want to pee in his diaper, so this has made it MUCH easier. if we go out, 90% of the time he will stay dry until i put him on the potty when he gets home. Aidan also naps (w/me) nudie. this afternoon, he wouldn't fall asleep. he was tired, but obviously uncomfortable, i put him on the potty and he pooped. and as soon as he wakes, onto the potty (LOTS OF BOOKS!!!!! HE LOVES BOOKS W/BABY FACES--this is crucial, sometimes he doesn't want to sit, but then he sees the books, and he gets wicked excited). he sleeps w/a diaper on (at night) as he doesn't want to potty at night.

hth some!!
amy
#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2003, 01:03 AM

Emma's almost 8 months and we just started a few weeks ago. I tried it with her when she was around 4 months, and all I did was sit her on the edge of the big potty. Stupid, I know..and she completely hated it. Then, more recently, my sister told me about sitting with her on the potty and also holding her over the sink, holding her under her thighs. That completely worked! I really relied on timing at first, and still do, for the most part. I knew that she poops first thing in the morning, if she's not too distracted by her big brother.

One thing I wanted to say was, don't force your baby to potty, but also don't give up right away. I know a lot of times, the last thing Emma wants to do is potty, because she's busy doing something else, but she would also hate a diaper change at that time, too, kwim? She really digs the books, too, to help her occupied. And I also agree that you should get a potty. I got her a Baby Bjorn little potty, someone remarked that it looks like a great dane water bowl. lol But it's a great fit for little heiny's. And, it's super easy to clean out. I just rinse it out for the most part, and give it a good cleaning at the end of the day. The potty goes with us, wherever we go. Even in the kitchen. lol

She's to the point now where she thinks that going in her diaper is unnatural. Seriously, it's only taken her a few weeks to get really riled up if I don't understand she's trying to communicate her need to go. She fusses and arches her back, usually. Come to think of it, it's usually when she's nursing, so that probably triggers her need to eliminate. Heather's right, it takes time to learn what your baby is telling you, just like with every other need they have. But, with time, you'll be completely grooving with your child! It's great.

Btw, today was a mostly "miss" day. Emma's either nakie or we use a prefold with a snappi most of the time, so we did have a few spills to clean up. lol But, it doesn't bother me at all. She would clearly much rather go on the floor than go in what she's wearing, but in the car or at night, she will still use the diaper.

Good luck, and don't give up. Just have patience!
#5 of 5 Old 03-08-2003, 02:16 AM

We were "late" starters, meaning dd had quit being so vocal about having a wet diaper (poops have always been obvious). I would have went diaper-free at night right away had I realized how easy it'd be. It has also improved my listening during the day.

For me, I just appreciate catching what I can and that dd is never sitting in a wet diaper.

We keep dd in a flat birdseye diaper (folded) tucked into an elastic belt thingy. It's quick and easy to get her out of for pottying.

Good luck, and know you're just getting better at listening to your baby. Happy catching

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page