Have you noticed... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-08-2003, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...that your baby prefers the potty? I think Nolan does. He was squirming and squirming in the bed this morning, so I took him to his Little Potty, even though he fussed a little on the way. As soon as a got his diaper off and set him down, he went "Ugh" (big grunt) then relaxed and out came pee and poop. Then he smiled...

I've noticed this preference lately and now looking back since he was born, he's always squirmed and fussed when he's been 'going'. And I always thought it was because he had gas and it was stuck in there or something. But I'm wondering - and bear with me here! - that maybe it's an instinct to be in a position where the pee/poop doesn't get all over you. So the squat is natural for eliminating. When he's lying down, it seems to take forever to poop, but on the potty he's gotten to a point - in just a week - where he goes almost right away and it doesn't take long for him to finish.

So for babies who aren't EC'd, then it seems natural that they would learn to ignore that instinct that tells them they are eliminating AS WELL AS the instinct to get in a position so that it's not going to be all over them...? I've just been so intrigued that he's done so well in just a week (even though we tried it at birth and quit but continued with grunting when he grunts/poops). But I don't think that he's learning anything new - I think that it's just that WE have learned to respond to his cues better. The instinct is kinda like how a little kitten will go in a litter box right from the beginning - it's instinctive for them to go in sand or somewhere where they can bury it.

Okay - I hope I haven't rambled to the point of losing my train of thought here. And I hope I was able to express this new revelation clearly : . I know that EC involves communicating about the elimination - duh, hence the name - but Nolan seems so relieved, like - "So you finally get it - I need to go AWAY from my body!"

KWIM?
#2 of 2 Old 03-08-2003, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maria - your son is welcome to pee in Kenny's potty any time!

And yes, Kenny LOVES his potty and he likes to grin at me in the mirror while he's 'making' poopy!

I definitely think that we are better able to work through our bms when in a squat position, so it makes sense that they would feel more 'right' in that position.

This is going to sound gross - bear with me. My husband always says that he has to lift his cheek when sitting on a chair to pass gas. I see him lean to the side and 'release.' I know to RUN then. But anyway, it seems to me that it would be equally as difficult to poop when sitting where it needs to go, y'know? Doesn't make sense.

Kenny will push down with his feet on the counter when he's pooping . . . it gives him a lot of leverage to be in squat mode!

I love watching the face . . . a little man on his little potty!

BTW I'll have a pic up soon because we bought a digi-cam last night! YAHOO!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page