How to start nighttime ECing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I try with Nolan at night but it's a disaster. I can tell when he has to go b/c he squirms, etc. I usually just breastfeed him, change his dipe if it's really wet (he usually doesn't poop during the night), and let him go back to sleep. But the past few days or so, I've tried ECing him at night either when he squirms/wiggles, or before or after nursing him. But he hates it - just screams and screams - looks soooo sad .

So is he just not ready yet? Or will it be easier in warmer weather when he can go diaperless or at least wear just a dipe and I don't have to undo his sleeper? I'm discouraged by this

Thanks for any help -
#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 02:14 AM

When Emma wakes up, she HATES sitting on the potty. So, somehow I just kneel in front of her and let her nurse while I hold up on there. She is 8 months, so sits just fine during the day, but she's all floppy at night. Sorry I don't have any other advice than to turn yourself into a contortionist. lol
#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 04:30 AM

Don't be discouraged! He may just not be ready...

We still do diaper backup at night because I think sometimes my dd is just too tired to want to potty. I'll find in the morning that she has a wet diaper. Either she hasn't signaled or I just haven't caught the signal.

I do somewhat the same as Karen. What mostly works for me is that when dd squirms to go, I sit up and nurse her back to sleep with the potty under her bottom in my lap between my legs. She is relaxed enough to pee without having to really wake up. As soon as she pees, she is right back to sleep and I can ease us both back into bed.

Oh, and I live in the cold northeast. For bed, I dress dd in a long sleeve pajama top, diaper and socks, with a blanket over her legs. She is warm and much less to take off!

Hugs,
Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 05:39 AM

My ds is close to 20 mths old and almost fully potty trained during the day. We also do signing and several weeks ago he actually signed in the middle of the night that he need to pee. Amazing I was awake to see it. He's also had many nights in a row where he hasn't peed at all until the morning which he signaled and we went to the bathroom. But that's all in the past and he's back to peeing in the night. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to help him to signal again or is this a fase that will take time and he'll figure it out by himself? We use cloth diapers and I'm also frustrated because I can't seem to find a combination of diaper and cover that hold the pee. I am pretty good at changing his diaper soon after he pees but it always leaks on to the bed. Does anyone have a good night time diaper?
#5 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 04:13 PM

Hi Maria, don't get discouraged. It may well be that he's just not ready for night time EC. Maybe just take note of when he pees during the night for a few nights and then take him to the potty then.

We only EC at night (we try a couple times during the day but DD seems to really hate the potty in the daytime so...) I'm not sure why but DD stopped peeing buckets at night like the day we started EC'ing. She used to hold it all night (10-12hrs) but then her schedual went all haywire so I take her to potty about 4ish. DD doesn't wear any pants so it's just her dipe I have to take off and put back on. We sleep really close together so she stays warm all night.

What I've learned so far on our journey (we started late at 10 mo.) is not to push it. I don't hold her on the potty if she is clearly telling me she doesn't want to. That kinda goes against my AP beliefs ya know. So, go with what Nolan is telling you and you two will find your groove soon enough .

Best wishes,
Shellee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page