Part-time EC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-21-2003, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this question in diapering:
Quote:
I know it's probably way too early to be thinking about this but is it possible my 9 month old is becomming aware of her bm's? Every time she poops, she turns to me w/ a big grin. Of course, I usually clap and say (in a very excited voice), "J went poop!" She gets excited and laughs. I haven't really been able to "catch her in the act" of peeing yet to do the same thing. Whenever I change her diaper, I tell her if she's gone pee or poop. Is this all a wasted effort this early in the game? It'd be so nice if she potty trained early, b/c she HATES being changed. My mom swears I was potty trained before 18 months; and that I used to freak if my diaper was the slightest bit wet or soiled. DD on the other hand, doesn't seem the slightest bit bothered by a wet or dirty diaper. She just hates being changed. Any thoughts/advice?
and received this response:
Quote:
There's a sub-forum here in the diapering board for something called "elimination Communication" (and it has many other names too). It's below the diapering archives.
Now, I'm interested in EC, but am not sure I am willing to do this full-time. We are often on the go, so I don't even know if it's feasable. Can you do it part time?
#2 of 4 Old 03-21-2003, 11:11 AM

Check out this thread:
Half EC

It talks about the joys and benefits of part-time ECing.
#3 of 4 Old 03-22-2003, 12:25 PM

Part-time is fine!! You are fortunate that your dd has maintained or regained her awareness of elimination past the first window of opportunity (0-6 months). I say: Go for it! It can't hurt to see if she'll "go" on the potty.

-- My mom swears I was potty trained before 18 months --

She's right. And I know *many* ec'd babies who have finished at 18 months. It's not that unusual. Americans refuse to believe it's possible, yet babies all around the world (mainly in non-Western societies where parents start early) are potty trained at or before 18 months.

Check out the links provided in the message that stays permanently at the top of this list.

Laurie
#4 of 4 Old 03-25-2003, 03:09 PM

Any excuse for laziness?

Some days, I just can't get into EC. Like today, I've put on a onesie and a pair of overalls, cuz we're going out, now what? My fave EC outfit is a cotton dress and a diaper sans cover, but in our weather, we can't go out in that. I haven't taken the 'nake' plunge yet. Somedays I don't even try to EC. The other day, dh was changing her and said "You wanna potty her?" and I asid "Yeah, I guess" even though her diaper was very wet. And he said, "Well, either we're doing this EC thing, or we're giving up." He doesn't think halfway os good. Is there any potnetial damage to letting her think it's sometimes ok to go in her diaper? What message is this sending?
yesterday, I caught three pees, one I caught even after I stopped trying. She woke from her nap, and I thought, "what the heck". We were catching all poops, till she changed her schedule. Now she goes 2 to 5 days betwn them and we never know when they're coming. Also, she hasn't seemed to pick up on cueing yet. We did notice a few times that her lower lip quivered when she needed to go, but it either doesn't happen every time, or we just aren't noticing.
EC is sooo hard! But, I am driven by the idea of not letting her sit in her own waste all day, and the appeal of being out of diapers sooner rather than later, that I just can't quite give up.
Oh, and a couple times last week, she peed in a fresh diaper (or before I even got the daper back on her) within a few minutes of me taking her OFF the potty. I don't want to leave her there until she goes, and sometimes she seems to be ready to get off, but then pees. Is this a good sign, that she's at least associateing the potty with peeing, or is it some sort of strike?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page