Potty strike! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2003, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD shrieks every time I put her on her potty and then I lay her on a prefold and she pees! I can't figure out why she suddenly hates it!! She will pee in it eveyronce in awhile if I put her on and say "pee pee!" like pee is the best thing in the world. THen she shrieks or whines and tries to stand up and sometimes will poop on her pf right after. It's so frustrating because the potty used to be hger favorite place to poo! SHe'd get so happy when she sat on there and would alwaysfart big farts or poo even if she hadn'treally cued in that direction. She won't poo over the toilet or sink. She has to be comfy to poo. Any advice? TIA

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 11:44 AM

During a potty strike, I try to focus on the things that are going well. For instance, in your case, you totally know when dd has to go, so the "communication" aspect is still up and working. Also, you know how she'd prefer to go (on the prefold).

My advice would be to relax, give her what she wants and try not to worry about it. Potty strikes can be a real downer, but they are usually shortlived.

Hang in there!
Old 03-25-2003, 06:06 AM

MHO is to just relax and detach a bit. Let her use her dipes for awhile. Maybe she just needs a break from the potty.

We just went through this with my dd (9months) a couple of weeks ago. We had a great couple of days where we caught almost every pee, and then suddenly she started struggling when I took her to the potty, even though I KNEW she had to go.

It was *really* hard for me to back off, but I just put her dipes on and didn't pester her about using the potty. I think she was just too busy because she's been pulling herself up and trying to walk and she didn't want to be bothered taking a potty break. After about a week, she started signaling again.

Maybe also try a new position? During our strike, I would still pee dd in the morning upon waking and after naps, because she was most receptive then, but instead of using her potty, I sat back on the toilet and put her in front of me between my legs.
Now we vary between using her potty and the regular toilet.

HTH,
Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 PM

My dd seams to be getting pretty touchy about me taking her to pee lately, too. I think it might be because I will take her when I think she might have to go even if she hasn't given me a signal. I started doing this because she peed on me twice the other day, without even so much as a squirm. Plus a couple of times lately I've taken her to pee when she fussed, but really she just wanted to nurse or something, so she got mad about having to try and pee when it wasn't what she wanted. Now she will get mad about it even if she does have to pee.
She has also been tensing her legs so that her pee goes right up and onto my shirt instead of down between her legs. So she does pee, but complains about it and gets it all over the place.
This is never totally simple, is it?
Maybe she needs a little break.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

So, I felt really bad, but i kind of kept her on the potty after she tried to get off and right after she farted out some poos. She's got some tummy issues and I think she was squirming and shreiking because the poo was hurting on it's way out and then when she was flat she wasn't able to really push it out. Does that make sense? She usually pees when she poos. I think her struggling was the later part of her signaling. What do you guys think?
L
Old 03-26-2003, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma
She's got some tummy issues and I think she was squirming and shreiking because the poo was hurting on it's way out and then when she was flat she wasn't able to really push it out. L
It very well could be. Did she seem relieved after she pooed?

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Old 03-31-2003, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, for a moment, bad poops seem to come in waves. Each time she's relieved for a minute before the next poop. It's getting better. I've decided that if she pees into a dipe or into a potty, the point is, she's not sitting in it.
L

User Tag List