Late EC or Early Potty Training? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2003, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm new to this forum, but have been hanging around the diapering forum for a while now. I've been reading up on EC a bit and I was really intrigued by the thread a few days ago on ECing older babies. In the meantime, I've started very gently helping my almost 1-year-old to sit on the potty first thing in the morning, without any pressure. I know his schedule pretty well and we "caught" our first pee this morning!

Here's my question, though. I don't really know where to go to get good advice on starting at this point in time with him. I don't plan on getting really gung-ho about this, just trying to help him be dry more often. I can't seem to find any potty training advice that's geared to young toddlers. And I don't really understand how ECing can be done on older babies. Anyone got any good advice? It seems to me there's a difference between the two and I feel like i"m lost somewhere in the middle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2003, 01:29 AM

Hi Cindy! I don't really have any advice for you because I am looking for the same. My ds is 15 mo and I have caught a few pees but haven't really had extreme success yet. I posted here a few weeks ago but didn't really get much of a response. I hope some more people have something to offer us! We actually have put the whole thing on hold this past week and a half because of traumatic events and illness. I am planning on trying again starting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. hopefully some wise mammas will grant us fab advice!!
-Jenny

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
Old 03-25-2003, 02:19 AM

Another one here in the same boat w/o advice. I am considering starting ECing with a 14 almost 15 month old. I did click on the message re: resources and links and did some reading on ECing with older babes, so I think that it can be done. (I am hoping! I am actually pretty excited about the prospect!)

Hindsight is 20/20, but in the first couple months, DD used to really mind a wet, particularly soiled diaper. Then, she got "used" to it (and not because we don't change her enough), so I can totally see where there is a window of opportunity when they are a newborn. Oh well, we are still going to give it a shot.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:41 AM

I have added to the "EC on older babies" topic. I hope you it will help you ladies out. I'm very happy to see some of you out there. I hope we can be there for each other with suggestions when we have future problems. Sending wishes of future EC successes your way.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, maybe we're the test group for this, then! At least we're not all alone out here!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:17 PM

Hi Cindy and everyone else with the same question!

-- I don't plan on getting really gung-ho about this, just trying to help him be dry more often. --

Perfect! This means you'll be relaxed about it, which is essential with a toddler, or else your efforts can backfire (be counterproductive).

-- I can't seem to find any potty training advice that's geared to young toddlers. And I don't really understand how ECing can be done on older babies. Anyone got any good advice? --

Below is a link that leads to two articles on starting with babies over 6 months.

-- It seems to me there's a difference between the two and I feel like i"m lost somewhere in the middle! --

For late-starters, you use a combination of some aspects of ec and positive (nonpunitive, no pressure, etc.) aspects of conventional toilet learning. Here's the link. I hope it helps http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/9089/67105

Laurie
Old 03-25-2003, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the link, Laurie! Those were really helpful. It's great not to feel so alone out here!

edited to add:

By the way, we caught another early morning pee today! That's two days in a row!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:19 PM

Cindy,

Congrats on that early morning pee! (If I knew how to work the emoticons, I'd put a big grin here)

-- It's great not to feel so alone out here! --

No way. There are many, many more who first learn about ec after their little ones are toddling about. We face an uphill battle trying to spread the word so that parents can know about the option of ec during pregnancy and then decide if they want to try it with their infants.

Laurie
Old 03-26-2003, 01:21 AM

I'm about to start this too, whatever it's called, LOL! My son is 13 months old and I just bought his potty. He just learned to walk, and he can stand well. He likes to sit on the potty and he looks at his penis and seems to be concentrating, but nothing so far. He is so funny. He likes to hold a piece of TP and then stuff it between his legs, wonder where he learned that?

I'm hoping to maybe catch a poop first, because I know he usually poops first thing in the morning. Good luck to us! I'm off to read the info mentioned above.

Tina
Mom to two boys, 2002 and 2004 and a bouncing baby due in June, 2012!    autismribbon.gif               jumpers.gif

User Tag List