Need sewing advice... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my mom offered to help so some dipes for us - but now that we e.c., I'd rather have some "padded underwear" type things...like poquito pants, I guess, but homemade What I was wondering was if I could have a wool outer, flanner inner - would that work? I wanted something breathable for summer, yet naturally "cute." We don't miss much anymore, but dd's only six and half months and I'm not quite ready to go the diaperless route. But I NEED to be able to pull them up and down - this fastening and unfastening dipes is for the birds...

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#2 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM

Perhaps she could make something like my "BackUps" I described in the diapering board
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=41636
#3 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For pulling up and down, knits work best. Flannel is really hard to pull down, IMO, unless it's very loose fitting. You also might want to consider some sort of fastening even just on one side so you can take them off easily if there is a poopy in there

The main differences between dipes and trainers are in the width of the crotch and the amount of padding. You can use a dipe pattern to start, just make the crotch a little narrower and use just a few layers of padding. Then get creative on how you wnat it fastened on, either tied like Freddy's Back-ups, sewn completely like a Pull-Up or snapped like a Poquito Pant.

Have fun and let us know what you come up with

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rubelin
Then get creative on how you wnat it fastened on, either tied like Freddy's Back-ups,
My BackUps are not tied, they have buttonsag

You are probably getting confused because I've been pestering the EC-mailng-list with new diaper-inventions for years and there were tie-diapers among those, too.:

Going to bed now, it's past midnight already here
#5 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 07:52 PM

You won't be able to use wool for an AIO-type thing, because the wool has to be laundered and treated differently than the absorbant cloth.
Maybe look into fleece? Those work for AIOs.

I've heard that Kohl's sells baby underwear for kids as small as 20lbs. I'm thinking about just buying a pack and sewing a soaker pad into the crotch area. 'Course, I'll have to go over to my MIL's and use her extra-crappy White...hrm...maybe it's not such a great idea...:
#6 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 07:54 PM

One more idea.
If you don't miss so much, why don't you skip the waterproof layer? You could get some cute cotton wovens for the outer
#7 of 9 Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Freddy
My BackUps are not tied, they have buttons
Ack, you're right Freddy, and I was thinking they had buttons as I was writing that! I must have been thinking of EM's Wrapababy, which looks sort of like the Back-Up but with a tie waist instead of the cool button-hole elastic (see, I remember it now!!) and I think she sews the DSQ to the fleece at the top. I really want to make some Poquitos with a waistband that goes all the way around and a drop down front. That was my original idea, but the side snaps were easier to figure out

MrsMeg, I added extra padding to some small boys briefs I got a BabyGap. THey had the over-lap front so I just slipped in a piece of terry folded in thirds and zig zaged over to hold it in place.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#8 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 03:42 AM

Hmm . . . I know someone said no wool, but if you misses are mainly pees (like mine) couldn't you just stick a doubler into a wool diaper? If it were like the Staccinator with a very elastic top, you should be able to pull it down.

I like Freddy's pattern though myself . . . would love to find the time to try it out!!
#9 of 9 Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...lots to think about! Thanks so much for allthe advice - I'll let you all know what we come up with!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page