Who's Here? Introductions. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 189 Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no longer a wanna be Alder was born Jan. 4th and we are ECing as much as possible for us at this point.

Move me up a rung () to newbie please.
#62 of 189 Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray! Congrats seeking sisters! Remember- it's about communication, not catches. Enjoy these early days with your bundle!

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#63 of 189 Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia View Post
Hooray! Congrats seeking sisters! Remember- it's about communication, not catches. Enjoy these early days with your bundle!
Aletheia Thank you for those words. I haven't felt stressed or anything to even try to "catch" anything, we're just observing and cueing, but it is great to be reminded that communication is the key.

I did impress our midwife. She was putting him in a diaper before doing his foot prints on the birth certificate, when Alder let out this totally high pitched cry. I said that it sounded as if he was about to pee because of the high pitch cry. Not five seconds later sure enough, Pssss. "Wow, you sure know him already!" It felt good
#64 of 189 Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Name: Binah
Partner: DH
EC'd babe(s): DD1: now 4.5, started ec at 2.5 months old, grad at about 22-25 months old & DD2: now 17 months old, started ec at 1 week old, almost done!!!
EC'ing since: DD1 was 2.5 months old... that's over 4 years now, but I haven't been doing it that long continuously!
Other kids (+ages): None yet
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): We usually use prefolds and covers with an occasional AIO thrown in. Both of my dds are now in underwear most of the time (dd1 all the time, dd2 sometimes wears a diaper when out depending on the availability of a potty place).
Favorite 'potty': My fav is the toilet, but I think dd prefers our BB (not the little potty).
Other Info: I
#65 of 189 Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

As we're at Grandma's this weekend, I should have time to update the first post of this thread. So update, update, update people! How is it going?

#66 of 189 Old 03-16-2007, 04:33 AM

Okay, I guess since this thread is back at the top it's time to come out of lurkdom We are...

Name: Jessica
Partner: Rob
EC'd babe(s): Matthew, 10+ months
EC'ing since: off and on since 13 days, committed to full time @ 7 months
Other kids (+ages): nope
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): prefolds w/ wool covers at night only
Favorite 'potty': the Bebe Jou goes everywhere with us (but we also use the sink, the big potty with a cushy insert, held over public toilets, and the great outdoors)

Other info: I read a little bit about EC when pg, thought wow that's pretty cool but I can't imagine how it fits into my world, and ordered diaper service. Ds had a horrible diaper rash so we spent a diaperless day at 13 days old (this was the same day dh was on the couch with bad food poisoning and I was on my own). I was overwhelmed at the pee-every-20 mins, didn't have a good grasp of practical EC concepts, and used Nystain cream to clear up the rash (still with lots of nakey time, but EC didn't click then).

Not long after, I was changing him and knew he was going to pee, so took him to the back yard so he could pee in the sunshine (I live vicariously through my babe - I have *always* wanted to pee freely in the great outdoors! ). He went, I was stoked, and I went on catching pees here and there just b/c I thought it was fun to pee him outside.

A new friend gave me the small Laurie Boucke book, which I read part of and we got our Bebe Jou potty when he was ~8 or 10 weeks. We caught lots and missed lots, always using a diaper backup. I finally did more reading and the whole idea of diaper reliance vs. diaper backup finally sunk in. Finally finding this forum has been very helpful, and so was the tribal baby website.

On Jan 4th we had a really gross poopy diaper that he unfortunately was sitting in while I taught a class (~1/2 an hour - he'd fussed at me but I didn't pick up on it ). For some reason that was a turning point for us...I put him in training pants a couple of days later and we haven't looked back We only do dipes at night, sometimes we potty overnight, sometimes it just makes him mad so I just change him as necessary (1-3 dipes/night).

We LOVE ec....last month my husband 'fessed up that he thought I was nuts when I first started but now he is so glad that we're doing this. My mom thinks it's awesome and my dad even took M potty recently. It's definitely up and down catch-wise, but the added communication I have with my 10 month old is so cool. I *lurve* his little training pants and the fact that my baby goes about his day in underwear

Wow, that got really, really long! I'll start posting elsewhere now

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#67 of 189 Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
cmg

Name: Cindy
Partner: Bill
EC'd babe(s): Isabella, 4 mos old
EC'ing since: 2 mos
Other kids (+ages): 1 cockatoo (Tia), 10 years EC'ing
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): Cloth pre-folds or pants at home (usually w/elastic belt), w/cover when out. We use disposies and just tried g-diapers when travelling. The g-diapers are great, if a bit bulky, and would probably work well for EC'ing - the inserts are disposable/flushable, and they feel damp when peed on - not as damp as cloth, but noticable.
Favorite 'potty': baby bjorn or the sink
Other info: We're at about 80% catch rate, and usually catch most of the poops. She just turned 4 mos and still pees and poops a lot. EC'ing has really made for a happier baby 'cause she hated passing gas/pooping/wet diapers. I sort of wish I'd started at birth, but I think it would have been too stressful on top of everything else. I was so happy to find this board - there just isn't much info out there and there are so many different ways to make EC'ing work!

Bill also thought I was nuts at the start, but now truly appreciates a caught poop over changing a dirty diaper!
#68 of 189 Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Name: Jen
Partner: my dh D
EC'd babe: ds, 8mo
ECing since: somewhere around 6mo

Other kiddos: dd 5 1/2 yo

Diapers: We use sposies. I just bought an aio, a cover, and a fitted dipe to try out cloth

Fave potty: bblp

Other: Ds doesn't like being held in the typical potty position over something. The 1st time he peed for me, he was standing on the edge of the sink. That was kind of hard too. So I started asking him to pee every time I took his diaper off and he started to get it. Then I realized that some of him just fussing, might be signals for going potty so I started asking him to pee every time he fussed and that was even better. After a month or so I decided to get a bblp. We've had it about a week and he's peed and poo'd in it. I'm really excited. I don't have any expectations for he'll be completely diaper free by a certain day, I just want him to know that the potty is for elimination and to try to help him use it as much as possible.
#69 of 189 Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok, This thread is a good idea I had not seen it before.
A little long but here's mine...

I came accross EC before I even got pregnant. I was buying a new washer and looking at CD info before choosing my washer because I knew we wanted to have kids soon and planning to CD. EC just made sense to us at that point. DH and I linked it to house breaking the dog. When we had our puppy we were taking her out and giving her a chance to pee every 20-30 minutes whenever we could. We give a puppy somewhere acceptable to go adapted to their age (the piece of newspaper in the corner). Never believed in sticking their nose/bums into it, so why do it to our child???

EC'd babe(s): 4 months and a bit
EC'ing since: 7 weeks, caught 1st pee. 9 w. first poo.
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): Cloth only.
We use pockets at night. She sleeps a lot and wakes up slowly, she has normally peed by the time she is fully awake. Sometimes I think she also just wake up a little bit, pees and then drifts back. So we let her go in the diaper, we prioritize sleep learning over EC, a pocket keeps her feeling dry.
We also use pockets or fitted lined with a stay-dry fleece liner when we know we will not get to it right away. Car rides, shopping etc.
Day time at home: combination of fitted and prefolds, with and without cover. And a lot of naked time on a prefold. Misses mostly stay on the prefold because she does not roll over yet.
I plan on attempting to make some one wet undies for the summer.

Favorite 'potty': Bathroom sink or BBLP on the bathroom counter, depending when she was last fed. Holding her over the sink makes her spit up when she is full and she does not like that, but she goes more consistently and faster that way. She loves her BBLP, but it sometimes turns out into a playing seat... She also like to sit nice and straight on it to let a good burp out!

Other info: DD does not signal much. She did until around 9-10 weeks and now we almost solely rely on timing for pees.
We almost never miss a poop. The odd missed poop is either A) the day that she surprise us with a 3rd poop. (It is normally 1 or 2) B) We are out and about. C) We have guests home. I lose touch with her because I tend to diaper her more then (Most people are scared to hold my naked baby! ).
Pees depend on the day. In addition to the same reasons we miss poops, it seeems that it goes by segment. If I miss the first one after a nap then we seem to be out of sync until the next nap.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#70 of 189 Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM

Name: Thea
Partner: Chris
EC'd babe(s): Morganna, almost 10 months
EC'ing since: 3 days old
Other kids (+ages): Louisa, 4 1/2
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): mostly fitteds at home and AIO's or prefolds+covers when outand about, now switching to training pants at home, but still using diapers when we go out since we're having an "away from home potty strike"
Favorite 'potty': EC store potty bowl
Other info: When I get frustrated on days with a lot of misses, it really helps to remind myself that I've only changed 2 poopy diapers in 2007.
#71 of 189 Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Name: Ashley
Partner: Scott
EC'd babe(s): Little Bob (6 months)
EC'ing since: Birth
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): We use FBs and BG. We use about 1-3 diapers a day (he will still occasionally pee in his diaper).
Favorite 'potty': We have a Baby Bjorn Potty Chair which we like because he will just sit and go which is cute. Our 'go to' receptacle is a mixing bowl, but the toilet is the easiest and our fave.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#72 of 189 Old 04-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Name:Mary
Partner: DH of 6 years
EC'd babe(s):12 week old, DS
EC'ing since:8 days old
Other kids (+ages): 0
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?)refolds during the day and Kooshies/ Kushies at night.
Favorite 'potty': BBLP. 2nd place goes to a small-size bucket in the car.

Other info: We miss lots - but enjoying the EC experience. But he's never in a dirty diaper for long and I'm sure this has helped cure the diaper rash he came home from the hospital with. DS does not like to EC when he's very hungry, or very tired so I often just let the diaper get wet and then change it.

For any early ECers getting discouraged: I think patience and letting our DS lead the way has been key to progress. He used to wet his diaper several times at night, and also poop - up to just maybe 8 days ago. Now most nights he stays dry by signalling to me that he has to go. As mentioned he doesn't like to be held over a potty when tired so I usually have to hold him over the diaper to make it as fast as possible - but the goal of a clean, dry bum is still accomplished.

I thought before I had a baby that I would hate the poop and the pee and the diaper changes. Now I enjoy EC with my DS and DH. At this age EC is often fun and humourous to both his parents and we are happy to think that we won't be potty training a 3 yr old.

I enjoy reading this thread when I need some EC encouragement.
#73 of 189 Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Lots of new folks. That's great! I need to update this thread. Welcome, mamas!

#74 of 189 Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM

FOrgot if I posted here.... hi!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#75 of 189 Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Name: Elena
Partner: Steve
EC'd babe(s): Adah 12 months (on Sunday!)
EC'ing since:2 weeks
Other kids (+ages): none
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?):sposies at night : nakey at home during the day, prefolds with "simpy" covers if we go out or at home if we're playing music or having guests over.
Favorite 'potty': toilet insert and bblp
Other info: We're thinking about transistioning to ft training pants to celebrate dd's first year. Now that she's finally sleeping better, I think I might be up for the big push!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#76 of 189 Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM

EC'd babe(s): maya 12 months in May
EC'ing since: 3 months
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): nothing at home, whole foods pull-ups when out
Favorite 'potty': holding over sink, target potty
Other info:
#77 of 189 Old 04-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Name: Nay
Partner: Dh
EC'd babe(s): Toe (2.5 years); Ja (6 months)
EC'ing since: April 12, 2007 I'm a newbie!
Other kids (+ages): Those two are it.
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): We use cloth when we're out, very seldom in the house even before we officially started trying EC.
Favorite 'potty': Nothing yet. I have a mixing bowl handy just in case I'm lucky enough to get Dd over it before she goes potty. I ordered her a baby bjorn yellow potty from Target yesterday. Ds has an el cheapo potty from toys r us that he's pretty good about using and taking apart. If he likes the baby bjorn potty I'll get him one, too and freecycle the other one.
Other info: I'm doing this mostly for fun and because I've read it's good for bringing AP families even closer together. Right now, Ja is lying naked on my lap, on top of a prefold. She just finished nursing and is asleep. So far she doesn't seem to wet in her sleep. I wonder if she wakes at night when she needs to pee? I don't know how to find out without staying awake all night myself. Hmm...

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#78 of 189 Old 04-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Name: Ophelia (screen name)
Partner: DH
EC'd babe(s): Kieran, 9 months
EC'ing since: 2 months, part time
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): Disposable, unfortunately. He gets terrible rashes with cloth. Some nights/weekend days we are able to go diaperless but other times he usually has a diaper on. I hope to be more diligent about that.
Favorite 'potty': Right now, outside but he is starting to arch his back with that also!
Other info: I found photo pinback buttons at the drug store, so I made an "ask me about EC, Babies are born potty trained!" printout and made a button out of it and attached it to Kieran's backpack. Trying to get more people to be aware of it!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#79 of 189 Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Name:
Partner: dh
EC'd babe(s): Bubble boy 5 months
Other kids (+ages): none yet!
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often
Using cotton fitted CD's, just when we're away from home, overnight or when I can't devote the time
Favorite 'potty': The toilet, our BBLP, bathtub
Other info: Stumbled onto this by chance and I love it!
I'm glad I found this forum, I've been lurking on and off and finally found the time to post!
I read both Diaper Free and IPT, Diaper Free made me very discouraged but IPT cheered me up and gave me confidence.
DS is a PRO! It's me that needs work lol! He'll tell me every time he has to go, but I don't always pay attention. DH is exceptionally good about catching in the evenings and on weekends.
Oh and we've had 3 poopy diapers since we started (aside from his potty pause while he was sick for 4 days), 2 happened in church

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#80 of 189 Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 AM

Hi everyone~

Name: Deirdre
Partner: Greg
EC'd babe(s): Madeline (4y) - EC'd from 4 months, grad around 2 yrs and Zara (18m) - EC'd from birth
EC'ing since: summer 2003
Other kids (+ages):none
Diapers (use 'em? what ort? how often?): We're pretty much done with diapers now. We're EC'ers that use diaper back up but by 1 yr I moved mostly to training pants with both girls (and nakeybutt at home here and there). With Madeline I used diapers at night longer but with Zara I'm a little gutsier and she's now in trainers at night as well.
Favorite 'potty': BBLP as well as transparent potty, and toilet seat insert for poops so I don't have to clean out the potty.
Other info: I am almost sad to see our EC'ing days winding down now that dd#2 is getting fairly potty independent. I have really enjoyed the EC journey with both girls - well maybe not enjoyed every step LOL but I have sincerely appreciated all EC has taught me about parenting, communication and respect.
#81 of 189 Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Name: emiLy
Partner: Ryan
EC'd babe(s): Delia, born 10/20/03 in undies at 17 months, day & night grad at 25 months.
EC'ing since: early December 2003
Other kids (+ages): I'm due any day now!
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): I love thin prefolds and covers. Don't really know what system I will end up using most with this next baby - I'm excited to try everything and see what I settle on.
Favorite 'potty': Definitely BBLP for versatility but also love Potty Bowl and Clear Potty.
Other info: A huge part of our experience was dealing with food allergies. Delia developed a sensitivity to dairy and blueberries and we suffered through constipation, withholding, and lots of other strife starting when she was about 18 months old. It was a slow progress with improving, and we're still always improving and testing but now I always look at EC (especially night wetting or other incontinence in kids over 3 yrs old) through the lens of possible food sensitivities.
#82 of 189 Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Name: Lanie
Partner: Matthew
EC'd babe(s): Meridian~12 weeks
EC'ing since: today
Other kids (+ages): Layne 7, Liam 5, Maren 3
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): nakey during the day, Fuzzi Bunz if I am not able to pay attention to her signals maybe
Favorite 'potty': potty and kitchen sink right now but hope to transition to BBLP when I get one
Other info: My babes have always potty trained early just naturally so I think it is just a natural transition for us. Meridian hates diapers so I thought I would try ECing out. It has been fun so far!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#83 of 189 Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 AM

I'm new to ec'ing and have only ed for a week,and new to cd as well.I am loving ec'ing it's easier than I thout.I can't remember all the questions you asked and I don't know how to copy and paste from thread.sorry.

I have a 9 mon and 2 older boys that were not ec'd.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#84 of 189 Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 PM

Name:Zanne
Partner: Jon
EC'd babe(s): Owen 9 mos
EC'ing since: January (5 months)
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): PFs, fitted, and pockets. PFs and fitted at home, pockets out and about. It really varies from day to day depending on weather and how much he pees.
Favorite 'potty': Baby Bjorn and the bathroom sink
Other info: Some days are really easy, and some days are challenging, but I love not dealing with poopy diapers anymore.
#85 of 189 Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Name:Amanda 32
Partner:Mark 50
EC'd babe(s):Grady 8 1/2mo
EC'ing since:Jan 07, 3 1/2 months
Other kids (+ages):
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?):Swaddlebees AIO for outings and road trips, gerber CD for night time ec/potty routine. At home we use 18mo training pants which we change frequently
Favorite 'potty': safty 1st not so good for littl eboy, love the BBLP
Other info: We nakey butt at night and We've handled our share of diarreah in the family bed

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#86 of 189 Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Name: Rosemary
Partner: Gary
EC'd babe(s):
James EC'd from 3.5 months, in training pants at 16 mo, now 28 mo.
Cecelia EC'd from birth, now 3 weeks old
EC'ing since: March 2005
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): with DS used coverless fitteds most of the time until 16 mo. with DD we have her in fitteds with covers still - just easing into EC'ing - only getting 1-3 catches per day for now.
Favorite 'potty': BBLP!! also enjoying the ec store potty bowl for little babies
Other info: EC'ing has been one of my favorite things about parenting, and the attitude it cultivates has spread into so many other areas!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#87 of 189 Old 05-05-2007, 02:20 PM

I know - I'm a late to this thread.

Name: Millie
PartnerH- Dex
EC'd babe(s): 1
Other kids (+ages): n/a
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): flats and prefolds with plastic pants or prowrap
Favorite 'potty': so far - plastice bowl, sink and toilet
Other info:
#88 of 189 Old 05-07-2007, 04:03 AM

Name: Kayli
Partner: Chris
EC'd babe(s): Chris 2.5 yr (part time- grad at 18 mo); Alex 6 mo part-time since 2 mo now 100% diaper free!
EC'ing since: March 2005
Other kids (+ages):
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?): Hautes when out but hopefully none at all soon!
Favorite 'potty': We just use the toilet/sink/whatever
Other info: Both the kids have been excellent communicators and I had never heard of "EC" per se when we started... I just found the thought of watching my child do his business when I could slip off the dipe strange. Every night is a nekkie night, even before FT EC. Honestly I feel like I EC because the kiddos both want to- not because I set out to- DS 2 has flat out refused to poop in a dipe since 2 months (fine by me!). I'm so glad they led me here!
#89 of 189 Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 AM

I'm new and so glad to have found you guys

Name:Chris
Partner:Josh
EC'd babe(s):Maggie
EC'ing since: since she was about 4 weeks old, April 2006
Diapers (use 'em? what sort? how often?):Prefolds in Bumpy day covers in the daytime, sposies at night. I'd love to have nakey. Maybe when it gets warm out we'll roll back the rugs.
Favorite 'potty': Big toilet
Other info: we've been going through a lot of resistance so we're backing off. This girl hates to be pushed into anything and I'm the same way so I'm learning to respect her independence and I certainly identify with the serious dislike at being pressured.

Chris

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#90 of 189 Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Hmm, looks like this hasn't been kept up, but I'm now a bit closer to actually trying EC.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page