Peeing every 10-20 min's and no signals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I've been meaning to EC DS since birth or shortly thereafter, but he pees SO often while he's awake, and really doesn't give signals at all!

I actually did have him pee once in the middle of a dead sleep while on my lap.

I seem to remember reading a post here a while ago that someone figured out that their DC was having the same issues and discovered that they were sensitive to dairy?
I'm thinking that perhaps we may be dealing with the same problem, as DS has horrid smelling gas, and clay-like poo's (which happen once a week or less, but that part's normal for my babes).

I went mostly off dairy for a couple of weeks and I didn't notice the gas as much, but then I had some cheese 4 or 5 days ago and it's back full force again.

So do you think the peeing issue could be the dairy as well, or do I just have a babe who will have to be diapered?

I should add that he doesn't tolerate being wet, I use cloth, but even if I use sposies he gets fussy right after he goes...so it would seem he would be a good candidate, but honestly, absolutely no peeing signals other than occasionally grunting *while* he goes.

Any insight would be appreciated, I was so excited to EC this one and would love to figure out any way that it might still be possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 PM

I remember the post you're talking about too and reading yours my first thought was a food sensitivity too.

I'm pretty sure that with some kiddos you can't be 'mostly' off dairly, you have to cut it out completely or else its not effective. If you don't think you can drop dairly entirely, maybe switch to goats cheese, milk and yogurt since it is supposed to be easier to digest than cow products. My Ds is sensitive to egg but its not bad and as he's gotten older I can eat them sporadically with no problems.

Ds never gave many signals that I could read either, unless he was nursing in which case he'd pop off and look at me like "Okay Mam, do your thing so I can do mine." Of course it took awhile to figure out what that look meant. Otherwise we just went on timing and intuition for a looooooong time.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hrrrmmm....once a week poos doesn't sound healthy to me. I'd look into that and get serious about eliminating dairy, or at LEAST doing goat's products like the pp suggested.

Otherwise, it took us weeks of nakey bum for me to catch onto DS's signals, in the mean time, you could start by being consistant with cuing whenever you notice him peeing.

If you can go nakey bum for a while I'd suggest that, penises tend to look 'fuller' when boys need to pee, an incredibly helpful signal, and you really catch on to rhythms and timing and that.

So there's my suggestions, look into diet, cue, and go nakey bum if at all possible.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 01-14-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
Hrrrmmm....once a week poos doesn't sound healthy to me. I'd look into that and get serious about eliminating dairy, or at LEAST doing goat's products like the pp suggested.
I am no medical expert but from what I've read, the once a week bm thing doesn't bother me. As our ped keeps reminding us, as babies digestive tracts mature their elimination patterns change too. It seems very common for babies to change patterns around 3 mo to poop less often, and then to change patterns again when solids are introduced.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Just want to say that my DS used to pee just as often at that age. The length of time between pees has gradually increased with age and things are much easier now.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:47 AM

My ds can have days when he pees every 10-20 minutes if he's nursing a lot. He nurses more with growth spurts and teething. I think the pee part is normal. The poo part
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM

my dd didnt really signal at all until recently, when she started using sign language (yay!). We've always just gone on timing and intuition and that worked well for us.

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM

I can keep you posted, as our story is currently in progress... but...

Ovi is allergic to dairy, and going off of it made a huge difference in how frequently he pooped (and in his skin, which was the motivation.)

But after lots more green mucusy poops, irritability, and now the diagnosis of "failure to thrive" (he weighed in at 12 pounds at 20 weeks), I'm now n dr.sears' elimination diet. This is only the first week, but I've noticed HUGE changes, including
a) fewer pees, but bigger ones
and
b) clearer signalling/abiliy to "hold it" til I get him to the sink.

I drink 2 liters or so of water everyday, too, and thought that was largely responsible for the every 15 minute peeing during every waking hour. but i'm still drinking that much water.

I would start by *totally* eliminating dairy. See how it goes (and keep your calorie count up!!!!) zthe max time I've heard is 4 weeks to get it out of both of your systems-- the min is 2 weeks. Then you can start by adding in one type of dairy at a time, starting w/ butter (which, since it is mainly fat is not too hard for most babes.)

HTH.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been totally off dairy since I first posted this, and it's helped his poops.
They're not like clay anymore (watery now, but that's because of the teething I believe), and he doesn't have that horrid gas!

Pees don't seem to be any less frequent though; and they're pretty small.

I think the past few weeks or so I haven't been eating/drinking enough, so I need to work on that and see if it helps any.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM

My DD peed without any signals- she didn't even pop off the breast :-(- while I was reading this thread.

I have also noticed a difference in her poops since eliminating dairy and was beginning to think maybe that was it which is really sad for me because I LOVE MILK SO MUCH.

Anyway just so say... her pees haven't changed at all. Boo. Every 20 minutes.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 02-27-2007, 01:42 AM

We have been doing EC for about 3 weeks or so. I still don't really know his signals, aside from occasional squirming. Generally, if he starts fussing for any reason, and if it's been a while, I'll take him to the potty. But for the most part, I just take him when I think it's time. We've been pretty successful lately. No poopy dipes in about 2 days! We've caught them all on the pot. Even DH caught one today!

So my question is this: do y'all know your DC's signals, and if so, did it take a long time to figure them out? or do you just go on timing and intuition like I've described?

Doing my best every day with DH , DD (11) , and DS (4)

Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 PM

I want to add here that babies' signals change over time. So stick with using timing, AutumnMama, and you might find that your son will get strong signals soon enough. My DD went from signals to no signals to signals again... but I think that all babies are good candidates for ECing. Some are also good candidates for backup cloth diapers. My DD doesn't seem to care if she's wet though I've had her EC'd from birth. So there you go.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM

I have relied mostly on timing but I've been signing to DS for quite awhile and hope that he'll start too one of these days. He's cute, he usually gives me such a quizzical look when I sign and he's obviously thinking about it.

My DS peed every 20 min for a long time and I had no dairy - I think it's just they way some of them are. But rest assured - they do get longer stretches and it's so nice when they do. Often it just changes one day and they get frustrated with you for trying to take them for a pee too often when they don't need to go yet.

User Tag List