Foamy poop! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's like it's full of air bubbles & I'm just wondering if this is normal. I don't think it was foamy the first few days we did this, but now it seems like it almost always is. Sometimes it's so frothy it makes a little pile in the bottom of the potty . Could it have something to do with him trying to force it out? He seems to really try hard sometimes & only get a bit of gas or a tiny little poo.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-08-2003, 11:49 PM

I'm no expert, but my son's poo gets foamy either when he is sick (usually greener), gassy, or at the end of a pooing session. I usually don't worry about it unless it is consistent. Does he show any other signs of sickness?
#3 of 14 Old 06-10-2003, 12:26 AM

Green Foamy Poo

Is often a sign of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

This imbalance is actually an often un-recognized underlying cause of colic in infants. My babies had foamy poos.
The reasons in my case:
1. Overactive letdown/oversupply a.k.a. firehose boobs LOL!
2. A misconception that it was necessary to feed my baby on both boobs at each feeding.

In reality, it is MUCH more important to empty one breast before switching!!! When I started nursing on one breast, burping because of the air taken in by trying to drink from a firehose, then finishing that side and only then switching if baby was still hungry, the problem got much better!

Less gassiness, no more green poo, much faster decrease of overfull boobs!

Kathryn
#4 of 14 Old 06-10-2003, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to clarify that it is not green, just foamy. He is very gassy, although it doesn't seem to bother him much unless he needs to burp. I do burp him during & after every feed (almost always only on one side), but I've never heard a baby fart like him .
As far as being sick, I'm pretty sure we have a mild case of thrush, but that's about it. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#5 of 14 Old 06-10-2003, 09:01 AM

I think we just notice it being foamy because its going into a potty not a diaper. The bubbles would pop in a diaper. My dds poop is yellow and bubbly sometimes as well. She's fine so I don't worry about it.
Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#6 of 14 Old 06-14-2003, 03:40 AM

Hope the thrush clears up!

Ann
#7 of 14 Old 06-15-2003, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hummingbear
Hope the thrush clears up!
Thanks, I hope so to. I started the thrush diet on Thursday & since then, no poops at all! I'm starting to get a little concerned. He seems to be straining & he is farting like crazy , but nothing's coming out . I'll give it until tomorrow before calling someone.

#8 of 14 Old 06-15-2003, 05:29 PM

Are you eating dairy prodcucts?

I have 2 kids with sensitivity to dairy, and when I was breastfeeding, and I had milk/cheese/anything with milk protein in it, it would make them gassy, and sometimes it makes DS constipated. I seem to recall DD having infrequent poo as well...

So that might be another thing to consider, is there a possibility it's food allergy related?

Kathryn
#9 of 14 Old 06-15-2003, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, no, I haven't been eating dairy since I heard it might be causing his acne. It's been about 10 days since I had any & I really miss it . Especially since cutting out sugar & yeast as well - all my favourites!

#10 of 14 Old 06-16-2003, 05:08 AM

In my experience, foamy yellow poop is just a mixture of gas and poop. As someone mentioned, the only reason everyone doesn't notice it is because when it goes into a diaper the bubbles pop! I've never had thrush or anything, and my daughter has bubbly poop regularly. It makes quite an interesting fizzling noise as it comes out!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#11 of 14 Old 06-16-2003, 05:45 PM

Helen,

If it's only been 10 days, you may still have dairy in your system. It can take 2-6 weeks for the dairy to totally work its way out of your system, and the effects to wear off. It takes a long time for my DD's milk-allergy rash to clear up too

Poor baby. I know how hard it is giving up all your favorite foods!!! I hated giving up milk and cheese, but I'm always saying how I would do ANYTHING for my kids, so here's my chance to prove it. LOL!

Kathryn
#12 of 14 Old 06-22-2003, 03:07 PM

My dd often has foamy poop. That said, she is also very gassy and lots of farts. She was also very colicky and I still maintain that it was because of her digestive system, not her nervous system.
She still has foamy poop, but at 5 months it doesn't seem to bother her as much. I wouldn't worry about it too much...my dd has always been very healthy and has gained weight well.
#13 of 14 Old 06-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Just wanted to agree with the hindmilk/foremilk imbalance theory. I had severly overabundant milk supply and was double-pumping. My dd had horrible gas and foamy poops full of bubbles. It was so shocking the first time I saw it. I worked with an LC and she suggested pumping only on one side per pumping session. This not only cut down my milk to a more sane level, but also gave a chance for the hindmilk to get to my baby vs. only getting mostly foremilk. Another symptom of this is green poop but with my dd that only happened once in a great while.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 14 Old 06-29-2003, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it seems to have resolved itself. No foamy poop for at least a week - not sure when the last one was. Hasn't been farting quite as much either . I wonder if this means the thrush is on the way out. We started using GSE for it just over a week ago & it's done wonders for his tongue. I sure hope so...this diet is killing me .

User Tag List