Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is your child?

Two months
When did you start EC?

I cued his second pee after he was born. We were catching pees by the time he was a week old and he figured out it would work for poos too shortly thereafter.

How's it going at this age?

Not as well as I'd hoped, but I'm still glad we're doing it.

When are you having misses?

When I'm tired and he's upset and it just doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble.

When are you having the most success?

Oddly enough, when we're out and about and while we are at my office job. He totally understands the "pss" sound and appreciates the opportunity to empty his bladder before I put a fresh diaper on if it will be awhile before we can potty/change again. It's fun for both of us. I love the slightly naughty, "our little secret" aspect. I've also recognized that he greatly prefers sinks to the potty bowl and started offering him the sink at home too; we've been having more catches.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?

That's kind of the problem; his signals are so obvious in retrospect, but I feel like I would respond better to something a bit more subtle. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would get that upset over a full bladder (especially filled with something as innocuous as baby pee) and I feel like such a monster juggling all those body parts over a sink trying to aim both "outlets" of the male anatomy (and simultaneously latch him on because he likes to nurse while he eliminates) while he is so upset. Protecting my furniture and saving a bit of laundry just isn't worth that much to me!

He responds beautifully to my signal, which is "Psss" in general, but also tightening my own abdominal muscles and a sort of an "uggh" sound to let him know that I've figured out that he needs to poop and will give him the extra time that takes.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?

dipes when we're out and most of the time during the day. Nakeybutt at night.

What do you do for nights?

We sleep on incontinence pads and change them several times a night.

What do you do for being out and about?

The sink if available and I'm starting to introduce "examining the rear tire" and "finding a tree".

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?

It makes me more aware of and open to all the ways my son can and does communicate with me about many different things. The fact that even our minimal successes have kept him rash free is nothing to sneeze about, either, nor is the financial savings of a bargain-basement CD stash instead of the best of the best to keep the rashes at bay.

Oh, and even though my son is a boy, he hasn't peed in his (or my) eye.

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month?

"examining the rear tire" for the first time at his first peace march and having him know EXACTLY what I meant and seem to understand why it was preferazble to the Port-a-potty I had to use because I'm female.

How have your expectations of EC changed this month?

Yes. I'm going to stop apologizing every time I miss a signal and beating myself up over my limitations. That hasn't been helping either of us. It's about communication, not laundry. Terran is still better off than ds1 was when I didn't know about EC or to be more precise, didn't think it was possible in modern cultures.

]Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?

When I'm half asleep juggling all those body parts over the sink while ds2 cries more and more inconsolably because he needs me to hurry up, and aim the penis while I'm worrying about the rectum or vice versa and ds1 is sneering on the other side of the bathroom door and I'm afraid the teen thinks I care more about my effing furniture than my baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM

It's been a long time since I added to this thread, but FWIW, here's our latest.

How old is your child? almost 20 months

When did you start EC? within one month of birth

How's it going at this age? It's going great! Very few misses, and we've had our first poop and pee in the potty without my help this week. We are reading potty training books, which are really helping her understand the concepts. She's fascinated with it. She still hasn't quite mastered allowing other people to potty her, which is a little bothersome for them and me.

When are you having misses? Occassionally when she's nakey butt (no reason to hold it, right?!), or when I'm distracted.

When are you having the most success? Most of the time!

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Sometimes, she tells me with words (pee pee or poo poo), or her body language changes, classic stiff legs, or stillness, or distant look in eye. I do rely on timing A LOT (hmmm, it's been a while since our last potty, we should try again), and intuition. I had a lot of misses where I had been thinking about offering her a chance for about 10 minutes, and then she would pee! That got me listening to that intuition.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Underwear and pants. I tried to put her in a CD when I left her with my aunt last week, and she would NOT wear it, outright refused.

What do you do for nights? She wears underwear and pants and is dry all night.

What do you do for being out and about? Potty in a toilet, or in the bushes

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Work on independence, teaching how to pull pants up and down, and encourage verbal communication about when they need to go.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? THe lack of accidents, the verbal communication, and the pottying in the POTTY!

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? First poop and pee in the potty. Also, I left her for 3.5 hours with a babysitter and she wouldn't pee the whole time, but did it for me as soon as I picked her up. Interesting...

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I'm realizing that I'm actually almost done, and though I expected this point would be earlier, I am certainly glad she's here at this age rather than at 3 or 4 or beyond.

]Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? NEVER!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM

How old is your child? 21 months
When did you start EC? Just about 12 months
How's it going at this age? Good! We've had a few rough patches but he's getting better at communicatin in general so I think it's helping the EC.
When are you having misses? When he's in diapers!
When are you having the most success? When we're at home and he is nakey butt.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Up until a few days ago we were going almost solely on timing (every 2 hours) but now he's back to signaling ('sss' or 'pee pee')What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? At home - nakey butt or just pants, out - diapers, unless he's just gone potty before we leave, night - diapersAny insights about this age/hints for other parents? Not really. It's hard to know what's "the age" and what's "the child"!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Just being so amazed by his abilities! And seeing how excited he is.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? YES! Just 3 days ago, DS started going over to the potty and sitting on his own (he's needed help to sit up until now), even when we're not in the room !, peeing and/or pooping, sometimes pulling up his pants andtaking potty to bathroom to clean it out! It's like something in his brain just clicked! Amazing!
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?
No!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 AM
srs

How old is your child? almost 12 months

When did you start EC?
7 months

How's it going at this age? We had a long pause from crawling at 10 months until just about a week ago, but we're back to consistently one catch a day, sometimes more.

When are you having misses? When people visit or we're out

When are you having the most success? When it's just the family at home, especially after naptimes

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?
All the sudden, DD will usually only sit on the potty after signaling (fussiness that I thought was nursing cues at first). We used to just do timing, but now it's more signaling an only timing upon waking.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Usually a fitted cloth diaper with no cover at home, diaper with cover when out and at night. We do trainers during the day at home normally but she is on antibiotics for an ear infection and has diarrhea every 1-2 hours right now

What do you do for nights? Not much right now. DD stays dry until 5-6am, but I have been consistently missing the first pee of the day because I'm just so dang tired. Between ear infection and massive teething (16 teeth at 11 months old!) we haven't been sleeping well lately.

What do you do for being out and about? Also not too much right now. Now that the weather's warmer and she can stand independently I may try to potty her more when out. Winter was too intimidating.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? If you're like us, you may have to relax your expectations dramatically when crawling starts. At this point, I am thrilled with one catch a day. We went over a month without catching a poop, after months of daily catches.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?
That the long pause appears to be ending and a new window of understanding is opening. I am also really starting to appreciate that catch or miss, EC has led to an awareness that I would never have had otherwise, and has led to a lot less diaper rash and discomfort for my DD. Now I find it weird when I think that most parents in our culture have no clue how often their child pees, or what their daily patterns are like.

Signaling has been exciting, because I've never really been able to pick up on it before.

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I am feeling better about the future. We had such a long pause that I was worried we would never get back on track, so it's rewarding to see it start to happen again.

Not right now.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
Old 04-18-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

How does my own post keep unsubscribing me so I forget to come back and see what everyone else wrote? Frustrating. Anyway, I still love reading about how your little ones are doing!

How old is your child? 17 months, today!
When did you start EC? part-time 4 days, full time one month, nights 5 months
How's it going at this age? Shockingly well lol.
When are you having misses? When DS is tired, or having a tantrum, sometimes during meals. Occasionally at night.
When are you having the most success? A lot of the rest of the day
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Mostly we just take him, but the past week or so if you ask him if he has to go to the bathroom, he'll either run to the bathroom if he has to go, or ask to be picked up. Occasionally he'll say yeah or no.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Mostly Undies during the day, he doesn't like diapers right now. We put him in a diaper after we have a miss (not caused by tiredness or being hurt or our fault!) until the next time we have a catch, because it's less stressful, and he's so motivated to get back in undies he's very likely to remember to tell us. He's in trainers at night.
New question! What is your child currently using as a potty? I put this in because DS went from using the BBLP almost exclusively to using the seat reducer, and now he wants to be held all the time. So we're holding him in classic position over the sink and outside, mostly. He's standing on the toilet seat to poop.
What do you do for nights? He's in trainers and I potty him. The first pee of the night I don't always catch because he's started sleeping further away from me on the bed, near DH or the wall, so I'm not as in tune. After I miss one I'm more vigilant, even in my sleep!
What do you do for being out and about? We potty him. In the car, next to the car, in public bathrooms. We've been brave on good days lately and have taken him out in undies, since he loves wearing them so!
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Hey look! Sometimes it gets better! Overnight, and surprisingly. Not to say it's not going to get worse again, I'm sure it will, but it's nice having these easy periods!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I love that he's motivated by wearing his undies, and that he shows a real preference. He's becoming enough of a toddler that I feel like we're communicating with words and signs, and it's different than when he was so tiny. It's exciting to see glimpses of gradhood, even though we're still holding him to pee like a tiny baby, and he's still so far away!
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? Interesting that he won't sit, even to poop. Strange, and I have no idea why! It's exciting that he's doing well after having a hard time with it for sooo long! EC hasn't been this easy since he was 12 months!
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I've learned how drastically things can change overnight! I'm painfully aware that they can change for the worse just as fast LOL, but it's so nice to feel like we're getting somewhere! We have a trip to CA in 3 weeks, and knowing how fast things change, I have no idea what to expect or pack for that matter! Frustrating, but exciting at the same time!
Yes, but this month has not made me feel that way!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM

How old is your child? Almost 13 months.

When did you start EC?
4 months

How's it going at this age? Mmmm.. it varies. She's an unpredictable child.

When are you having misses? At home, during the day. She seems to not care about going in her pants, diaper or on the floor when we're at home and she is playing around the house.

When are you having the most success? At night and "out and about". She does awesome those two times!

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Mostly we go by timing during the day, but she is starting to squat to pee so I can sometimes grab her then. At night, she has started to sit up when she needs to go. I'll wake up and see her sitting there. She also pulls at her pants sometimes when they are wet.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Just pants most of the time at home, sometimes CDs. When we are out she wears undies.

New question! What is your child currently using as a potty? BBLP, sink, grass and public toilets when out.

What do you do for nights? She just wears pajama pants and sleeps on a Nekkie Blankie. We are rarely missing at night now; if I do it is always the first one of the night. She goes to bed before I do (usually) and I can't pick up her cues through the monitor. I think she knows I'm not there so she doesn't try too hard.

What do you do for being out and about? She does awesome when we are out. We have only had a handful of misses since she was 6 months old. She goes in a public/friend's/family's restroom, the BBLP in the car or outside. It's so rocks that I can bring her out in undies.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? I like what the pp said - is it the age or the child? I think it's pretty much the same as it has been; she has days when she's more cooperative than others. She seems to be communicating a little more now. I just try and go with the flow.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? That I can say "do you need to go potty?" and she will shake her head "no". "No" might not mean she doesn't HAVE to go, but it definitely means she doesn't WANT to go. He he. She'll have a fit if I try to take her anyhow.

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? For a little while, she was having a fit if we put a diaper on - she seems to have gotten over that.

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I don't think they have really.

Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? Nope. I love taking my DD to the public potty while my friend changes her baby on the changing table. I'm so thankful I don't have to do that - she hasn't sat still for a diaper change in many, many months.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM

how old is your child? 15mos[/COLOR]
When did you start EC? 2 months
How's it going at this age? pretty good for now. Eva will go all be herself when naked
When are you having misses?When i'm in the kitchen washing dishes or when she climbs up on the coffee table and can't get down. lately she never signals and won;t ask to go tho she'll go all by herself. outside she's too distracted and always pees herself.
When are you having the most success?When we are at play groups, i think she's showing off LOL
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?[COLOR=she used to sign it but lately she just won't.[/COLOR]
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?nakey with a sweatshirt
What do you do for nights?potty before bed, and i potty her before i go to bed and than no more opportunities till morning unless she asks.
What do you do for being out and about?lately ive been using a large sposie diaper that i use like a pull up.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?ummm hmmmm maybe at this age its good to go nakey butt and let baby have more responsibility about thier own pottying needs. eg. every time she'd pee on the floor i'd sign no potty on the floor, than i'd sign sit on potty. for some reason she comprehends better in sign than verbally., and less likely to just scream nooooo
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?i love how she sooo proudly takes her potty to the toilet to dump it in all by herself.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month?a little 3 year old boy got inspired to go potty by watching the girls.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month?i never know how to answer this question??
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? [COLOR=yes, and no because i see how wonderfull of a process ec really is. EC is great for our enviroment. [/COLOR]
Old 04-19-2008, 02:57 AM

How old is your child? 6 months

When did you start EC? 4 1/2 months

How's it going at this age? OK I guess. I don't catch every pee. He has been protesting the potty lately.

When are you having misses? when he is not in the carrier and All night.

When are you having the most success? First thing in the morning.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? I pee him shortly after he wakes. He signals when he is in the baby carrier

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? diapers, training pants, pants, or nothing!

What is your child currently using as a potty? baby bjorn little potty and whatever he happens to be wearing.

What do you do for nights? dipes

What do you do for being out and about? dipes...

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? I wish.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? When he stares at me while in his high chair willing me to understand that his diaper is wet and he wants out of it. Babies are so smart!

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? kind of in limbo at the moment

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I've relaxed a little. Started signing for potty as well as the cue sound.

Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? I wish I had known about long before DS was born. I would have started working with him from the start.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:37 PM

How old is your child? 11 months, it's been a few months since an update.

When did you start EC? A few days after birth.

How's it going at this age? You know, it's all right. Not as good as it's been before. Shortly AFTER he started crawling we started missing a lot more, and missing POOPS, AGH! Lol. I think things are starting to equilibrate again now though. He's been crawling for over a month.

When are you having misses? Um...all the time...he's on the floor a lot more now and that's where he usually has misses.

When are you having the most success? In the mornings, when I'm paying closer attention and he usually has several pees in quick succession. Also, on outings.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? We are mostly using timing right now. But if he's in arms he will get squirmy and agitated, and SOMETIMES when he's on the floor he will be playing contentedly and all of a sudden come crawling over to me, and that usually means a trip to the bathroom is in order. Oh, and at night he squirms.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? At home during the day, mostly trainers but sometimes CD with a cover.

What do you do for nights? He wears a CD with a cover or a Pampers, and I only take him to pee if squirms enough to wake me up and won't nurse (or I know he doesn't need to nurse).

What do you do for being out and about? Cloth diapers and use the public restrooms, or occasionally the emergency Tupperware potty in the car. I've tried a couple outings with trainers when I know we're going to have easy access to bathrooms.

Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Be flexible, like I said last time. The way EC is going this month may not be the way it goes next month. I really miss the poops in the toilet.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? When he crawls over to me and I can take him to pee, and it just feels like we're actually communicating!

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? The crawling to me when he needs to go is exciting for me. I also still get excited on outings when he has a dry diaper and goes in the toilet.

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? They have gone way down. I was loving catching almost everything and all the poops, but I just have to remember that this will pass and that every catch is meeting DS's needs. And we are still having a lot of catches. I guess I just needed to adjust my expectations again and remember ALL the wonderful reasons I am doing this.

Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? Nope!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes, how do I forget about my own post so much? Guess I've just been scatterbrained lately!

How old is your child?
18 months
When did you start EC? Part time 4 days, full time 1 month, nights 5 months
How's it going at this age? Wonderfully!
When are you having misses? Nights when I'm too tired to respond, during the day when DS is tired.
When are you having the most success? Pretty much the rest of the time!
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? We still use a lot of timing, although if he has to poop, DS will say, "uh oh!" (he also says this if he pees in his pants). He also makes the potty sign, but only if you ask him if he has to go potty. He'll also say yes or no if you ask if he has to go.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Trainers, mostly. A diaper if we're going somewhere for a long time and he's tired or going to be very distracted.
What is your child currently using as a potty? He wants to be held still, but other than that, he's not picky. The toilet, the sink, some grass, onto a prefold at the doctors yesterday...
What do you do for nights? He wears trainers and sleeps on the nekkie blankie. I potty him when he has to go. I've just been tired or lazy lately, which, combined with his molars coming in, has left our nights pretty wet.
What do you do for being out and about? Potty as we go. Public restrooms, next to the car, wherever.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? We had a little potty resistance where he didn't want to use the BBLP, he wants to be held. So I guess my advice would be to remember to listen to what they want and don't be afraid to change it up! I actually really like holding him, it's faster. It also makes me feel like he's at this great change in his life...he's big enough to want to use the toilet like we do, but little enough that he still wants to be held and feel safe.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I don't know if it's the age, but it's suddenly become much easier. It's fun that he can talk and tell us if he has to go or not. I ask him if he's done going, and he'll say "Yes!" and shake his little hand in the potty sign, or if he's not he'll say no. If I don't ask he yells, "Yes! Yes!" and signs potty frantically anyway!
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? We EC'd all over disneyland again, easy peasy. I overheard a mom talking to her (potty-training) kid about going to the bathroom, and the kid was talking back to her about it, and it just struck me as strange! What's all the talk about? Lol, I'm so used to just taking DS to the bathroom and he goes, the idea of STARTING with a talking child is just insanely foreign. I'm glad it's so second nature by now.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? Not too much. It's been a long journey for me personally, learning not to worry about misses and him being a grad, but I feel like I've finally got it down!
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? Not this month.

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 PM

How old is your child? 3 months
When did you start EC? 2 months
How's it going at this age? Extremely well, we only use diapers for naps and night time sleeping
When are you having misses?When I'm not paying attention. Some days we have none, some days we have one or twol
When are you having the most success?I feel like most of the time it's very successful
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?We mostly use timing. I pee the babe every 15-30 minutes. Sometimes she signals by getting a bit fussy when it's not time for a nap
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?DD goes nakeybutt at home and while out she wears a dress and goes nakeybutt or she wears split pants
What is your child currently using as a potty?We have a potty bowl and a baby wonder clear potty and sometimes we use the sink
What do you do for nights?Dipes, I'm still wondering when and how to break into the night time ECing
What do you do for being out and about?For short trips (i.e. 30 minutes to 1 hour) we do split pants
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?I think starting early was key
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?Not having to clean up after poopy diapers. Poop in the potty bowl is much cleaner
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month?Nope
How have your expectations of EC changed this month?Nope
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?Quite the opposite, I'm so glad that we did
Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Looks like I forgot a question.

What is your child currently using as a potty? The sink or toilet, sometimes the BBLP.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM

How old is your child? 6 months

When did you start EC? very, very part-time at about 2 months, more since 3 months, full-time effort, part-time success for a couple of months, more success lately.

How's it going at this age? Pretty well. A few weeks ago I started logging elimination patterns and our catch rate went from about 25% to 75%

When are you having misses? While nursing, oddly enough, and at random other times.

When are you having the most success? On waking from naps and in the morning, randomly at other times.

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? Timing works best. I've gotten better about noticing signals lately.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Nakeybutt in the mornings at home sometimes a prefold or flat diaper in a diaper belt, and just this week I bought tiny undies. Sooo cute! When we're out and at night she's wearing pocket trainer/diapers that I made.

What do you do for nights? Waterproof trainers, but I'm not totally happy with this solution because they leak sometimes.

What do you do for being out and about? Trainers, and we stop often at semi-public restrooms and at green patches here and there.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Hardly any poopy diapers, starting to get better with the communication.

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? More outdoor peeing, and Daddy's first few pottying experiences.

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I've gotten a lot better about doing it when other people are around, and I've come to appreciate that doing EC in the city is a lot harder than doing it in the countryside. I'm still feeling a bit isolated by the fact that we're in a place where nearly everyone uses disposables and potty-trains late.

Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? No, not really.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently I never did this last month!

How old is your child? 20 months tomorrow! How time flies!
When did you start EC? 4 days part time, 1 month full time, 5 months nighttime.
How's it going at this age? Very well most days!
When are you having misses? Sometimes at night, during the day when DS is getting sleepy, still in the highchair sometimes! Only pee misses though, he was pretty done pooping in his diaper around 4 or 5 months, and had a handful of poop misses when learning to crawl around 8-9 months. None since then.
When are you having the most success? The rest of the time, really...at this age I can't pinpoint it...we're having good success all the time, except when we aren't! Misses are more "Wet Days" than individual misses, if you know what I mean!
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? DS very rarely signals in any way. He did for awhile, but he stopped. Mostly, he holds it until he REALLY has to go, and then if we take him he will. He's stopped peeing at *every* potty op...now he goes if his bladder is pretty full, and just says, "Done" if he wants to wait longer. Rarely we'll get some input from him...he said, Pee-Pee (the one and only time he's said it!) the other day, and over the weekend when DH was taking care of him he told him he had to poop by signing "sticky" and DH got the rest from the look on his face!
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Undies or trainers around the house (we use them interchangably most of the time), out of the house depends...DH puts him in undies, I tend towards trainers or an insert or preemie prefold in a wool cover (a sort of "make your own waterproof trainer" if you will)...I don't particularily like changing wet pants or mopping up a puddle when I'm not at home.
What is your child currently using as a potty? Everything LOL. Potty bowl at night, Toilet w/ reducer, toilet w/o reducer, BBLP, BB Potty chair, the grass outside...
What do you do for nights? He wears trainers and I potty him. He's going through a weird nap transition, so he WAS sleeping 12-6 without peeing, and only minimal nursing, but I think he's back to peeing more...I've been missing a lot the past few days LOL.
What do you do for being out and about? Potty as we go!
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? I was recently reminded (on the yahoo! group) that in arms babies signal because they have no other choice but to pee on themselves if they don't, and toddlers often stop because historically they spent time on dirt floors and/or outside, so they could squat and then walk away from it. Pants and tile floors aren't the biological/historical norm! I was happy to be reminded of that, so maybe that will help someone else too!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Reading books and singing songs on the potty. That he can sit on the toilet ALONE! How big he is! Everything...I may change his pants a lot some days, but I couldn't even imaging laying him down on a changing table and cleaning all that up multiple times a day!
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? DS is going much longer between pees now (and not because he's not hydrated!) which makes life easier.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I've had to remind myself that this is his journey, and that he'll be done in his own time. I know that, but every once and awhile I read posts about grads, or think about where I thought we would be at this point, and it helps to have that reminder. I sometimes say, "well, he might not potty train any earlier than normal" but then upon second thought that's just an obscene line of thought, because the end product isn't all of it, and I really feel that the two can't be compared. It's demeaning to how far he's come and how well he does to say that, since he's been using the potty for most of his elimination his whole life. So comparing it to potty training at all seems to devalue it to me.
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? I'll just say that a few days ago DS wanted to poop in his little potty, when he normally poops in the toilet. I let him, of course, but I did not enjoy cleaning the potty...toddler poop is no exclusively breastfed baby poop, I'll say that! I can't imagine cleaning it out of his chubby little crevices, and I don't want to.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 PM
cmi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How old is your child? 10 1/2 weeks
When did you start EC? 7 weeks
How's it going at this age?OK--when we're home it goes really well; when out it seems like she's unhappy about not being able to go right away or about going in her diaper
When are you having misses?When I'm not holding her. She seems to have figured out that if she's in the car seat or when DH is holding her she will just have to hold it or go in her diaper.
When are you having the most success?At night, surprisingly. It's when I'm least distracted (DD has a 3-year-old brother)
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?She squirms, and if she needs to poop and is lying down she brings her knees to her chest. That's the one way I can tell the difference between "need to poop" and "need to nurse" or "need to do something else." For peeing, she gets pretty fussy.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?Since she seems to have little spurts of poop quite often, I have her in diapers (mostly cloth) but I'm hoping to get up the courage to go diaper free more often.
What is your child currently using as a potty?I loved using the insert to DS's BB potty seat, but he got a bit upset when he wanted it and it was in use. So, I bought a white plastic bowl that has worked quite nicely.
What do you do for nights?I put her in diapers and when she starts squirming I let her nurse. If and when she pops off, we get up and I let her go potty if she's not too hungry.
What do you do for being out and about? I'm going to go back and read more of other poster's ideas because I haven't found things I'm comfortable with yet. So far the wet bag has worked the best, but I only have one right now so sometimes I'm stuck looking for another option. She doesn't seem comfortable with bathrooms (and I feel awkward in them too). So, we end up doing a lot of diaper changes after the fact, or she sometimes holds it for surprisingly long times, which makes me feel bad.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?I'm just amazed that it works at all.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month?
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?Uh, of the posts I read, no one seemed to answer this one. I would have to say, "Yes!" I love it when I can help her meet her need, but I feel so darn bad when we're in an awkward place or when DH has her and doesn't get the cues. And DH and DS hate that there's yet another thing that needs to be taken care of right away and interrupts my time with them. I plan to read more posts in this thread to see if it's going to get easier (i.e., fewer runs to the potty), because I don't want to give it up.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 PM

I haven't been hanging out on the EC board much lately. I thought I'd revive this thread and see how everyone is doing!

How old is your child? 15 months! Unbelievable!
When did you start EC? Shortly after birth, 3 or 4 days.
How's it going at this age? Not bad!
When are you having misses? At night and at seemingly random times, especially when DS is distracted by food.
When are you having the most success? Usually.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? He makes the potty sign! But not EVERY time, and sometimes he makes it as he's already going. I also use timing.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Around the house usually trainers. Sometimes cloth diapers.
What is your child currently using as a potty? BBLP and the toilet, occasionally sink. I like to hold him over the toilet usually because if he sits on the BBLP he will want to read books for like 20 minutes, lol. Which is fun sometimes but not when dinner's on the stove.
What do you do for nights? He wears sposies, I've given up on nighttime EC for the time being.
What do you do for being out and about? He wears backup (trainers or diapers) but we catch almost everything in public bathrooms.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Mmm...nope.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? We've started catching poops in the toilet again! Yay! Actually it's been 2.5 weeks since our last poop miss and I am thrilled. We went through a long period from about 8 or 9 months until just recently where we weren't all that good at catching poops.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? The potty sign pretty much covers our excitement.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? I've often needed to remind myself what the goal is. Communication and meeting DS's needs.
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? No, I do not!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM

How old is your child? 5 months today
When did you start EC? 2 weeks old
How's it going at this age? great!
When are you having misses? when she's not in arms and i'm distracted (ie washing the dishes), and we have one miss every morning while taking DD1 to school because she potties so frequently in the morning that even though i potty her before we leave and upon returning, she still has to go once while we're out, usually while in the car.
When are you having the most success? mornings after dropping DD1 off at school, and at night. she's been in the same trainer since we got back this morning, so that's 7:30-3:45 and she's napping so it'll be at least another couple of hours before there's even a chance of a miss.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?Her signals are getting a little harder to discern, sometimes she's squirmy and fussy, sometimes she gets quiet an still, and occasionally she doesn't do anything at all. we're doing a combo of signals and timing that seems to be working out well.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? pocket dipes at night and on our morning trip to DD1's school, nakey or a non-waterproof trainer while at home, waterproof trainer going out as long as it's in the afternoon.
What is your child currently using as a potty?we have two knock-off BBLP's and a Once Upon a Potty.
What do you do for nights? She wears a pocket dipe just in case (and because she hates peeing in a diaper so she's less apt to have a miss). But it's very rare that she pees in the dipe. She sleeps about 6-9 hours, wakes up dry, pees, nurses back to sleep. sometimes i put the dipe back on, but usually i don't bother, and she pees again when we wake up a couple of hours later.
What do you do for being out and about? Since we have to drive virtually everywhere, i just keep a little potty in the trunk of the car, so that's what we do mostly - and i offer before we go in somewhere and again when we head back to the car. If we're at someone's house who doesn't have a little potty, i just hold her over the toilet or sink.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? hmmm... have to think more on that one...
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?I've never EC'd a small infant before, and i'm just enjoying it so much! i think the cutest is the look of a little baby on a potty. i don't know why but it just tickles me! LOL
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? night time has gotten amazing. i can't even remember the last time she peed in her diaper at night. it makes me feel so good to know she's not sitting in pee all night long.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? they're pretty much the same as always. i don't stress, i don't sweat the misses or the days when we just have to do diapers for sanity's sake. but we always manage to catch more than we miss, and i can't believe how slim my diaper laundry is these days!
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? no. diapers really gross me out. they actually always have, and with DD1 before i heard of EC it made me feel awful if i went to change her and she was soaked (like i missed a pee somehow). it makes me so glad to have found a better way, and just wish i would've done it like this from the beginning with my other two, especially DS, when i knew about EC but thought EC'ing a newborn would be so difficult and time consuming.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 PM

How old is your child? 1 week

When did you start EC? last night ... and 27 months ago with DD1!

Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? I started because my baby is very obvious about needing to go! She kicks and grunts. I knew she was going to pee and was just waiting for it while she was laying on an open prefold last night... and then it dawned on me that I could hold her in a squatting position and see what happens... instant pee! Today she pooped over the big toilet. She stops nursing to eliminate, wakes up to eliminate... she really is a perfect EC candidate. I make the "ssss" sound out of habit from ECing DD, but I don't know that it is necessary.

What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Right now she has prefold/wrap with a gown over it. I'm contemplating how I'll dress her this winter.

What is your child currently using as a potty? Whatever is easy... toilet, prefold, outside... we have potties around for DD1 but those aren't quite as useful at this stage.

What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? Discovering my child's personality through EC!

Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? Firsts!

How have your expectations of EC changed this month? It's coming very naturally... moreso than with my first.

Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? certainly not!

I decided to wait until my body feels ready to jump up and catch elimination, but DD decided to start ASAP. I'm keeping it in balance though. I let her poop in her diaper just now because I really didn't feel like getting up. Time for a dipe change! I need one of those lap potty things.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How old is your child? 5 months exactly
When did you start EC? 5 weeks
How's it going at this age? Excellent
When are you having misses? Random, 3-4 throughout the day. We have a few extra when DH comes home, and when he is laying on his tummy playing or in his jumper (I seriously don't get those.. even if he just peed, he goes again) . Also those times when I think "hmm I wonder if he needs to pee? Nahh he just went like 10 minutes ago" inevitably end in a miss 30 seconds later.
When are you having the most success? Mornings are our best. We do really well with some car trips too since he prefers not to pee in his seat.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? No signaling here. Sometimes I'll get a fuss or extra squirms while nursing, but basically just timing and intuition.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Lots of nakeybutt while it was warmer, now he's wearing just pants around the house (nothing under) & on our walks, and diaper backup when we won't be able to help him so much. Usually it's a gdiaper cover with a prefold inside - so easy for on and off while out!
What is your child currently using as a potty? We use the BBLP, and big toilet. He's on strike from the Ikea potty or sink.
What do you do for nights? He sleeps on a snugglewool, usually on top of a prefold. He wiggles off the prefold a lot though so I just use it to mop up the miss and since its wool it feels instantly dry again
What do you do for being out and about? We use the Gdiapers w/ prefolds inside as back up and bring our BBLP on car trips. He's not a fan of peeing outside (I think it's the wind). I'll also take him to any bathroom that isn't too gross and he's great about peeing in the big toilet.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? Creativity! Any time I think he needs to go but won't 2x in a row, especially if there was a miss in between, usually means he's bored of his potty or location. As soon as I realize, I walk him right to another potty location and 99% of the time he goes. If I didn't realize this I would probably think he was actually on a potty strike, when really it is just a strike against a particular potty.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I like that we no longer have to worry so much about poo misses so I can leave him in just pants, or trainers if we had them without fear. I also like that he can sit on the potty nearly by himself now so I can have a little more freedom during those long sessions as opposed to in-arms pottying.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? I find the whole thing exciting This past month I/we managed to keep him dry for an entire day with a long car ride and an outing to a baseball game which I thought was exceptionally cool. We also did a couple 24h without a miss which is really fun. AND, I was brave and brought up EC to an almost total stranger, and now she's trying it with her son!
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? We made it through some developments this month where he was too distracted to potty. I realized it is totally okay with me and I was surprised at how not-stressful it was. It is what it is, and he is a baby after all. I'm just observing and enjoying it all.
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? No! I think if you do, you're trying too hard. There have been plenty of days I just changed diaper after diaper like a newborn because we could not get in synch. I just didn't let myself look at the diaper bag or I think I would have cried Babyhood is too short to worry about a little pee (or those 2 horrible poo misses we had this month that I had completely blocked out until now. He was sick though, poor guy)

Overall I completely love EC. I bring it up as much as I reasonably can but most people just nod their heads. Oh well

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 AM

How old is your child? soon to be 6 months
When did you start EC? first week of life
How's it going at this age? It's going well! Amazingly well at night, and sometimes not as well during the daytime.
When are you having misses?When I'm grading homework assignments, also, she often has three pees in a row in the morning or mid-morning, I often miss 1,2, or all 3.
When are you having the most success?At night. I made the switch from nakey bum at night to wearing a diaper, because of cold weather, and I also no longer get up immediately when she wakes up to offer her the potty, but she still let's me know that she has to pee.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal?Mostly timing. She does signal by squirming, but it's hard to distinguish these days from general squirminess. Also, she's had a few verbal signals, kind of like grunts but not really, and I'm starting to become aware of some other signalling, but I couldn't describe it!
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)?ecapants, fuzzi bunz, prefold with cover, gerber training pants
What is your child currently using as a potty?BBLP with a cover and the sink
What do you do for nights?Either a diaper or ecapants, depending on what's clean and what she's in when she falls asleep
What do you do for being out and about?diapers. I have a BBLP in the car, but she hasn't used it in a long time. She was declining the opportunity, and it was really hot in the summer, so sometimes she goes in a public potty, sometimes just pees in the diaper and generally waits until we get home to poop
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents?things change seemingly all the time!
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age?it's amazing to me doesn't want to pee in bed! I think I am amazed by her every day! I also do appreciate the missed poos as a clue that something is up with her.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month?we suddenly went back to only one miss a day after averaging 6 or so missed pees in a day! Also, we were at an Oktoberfest two weeks ago and she was in the ergo the whole time, mostly asleep, she started squirming so it seemed like time to leave, we stopped at the bathroom on the way out and she pooped in the toilet. It was really cool to me because a lot of times she prefers not to use strange toilets! She was dry and clean the whole time!
How have your expectations of EC changed this month?I don't think so
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC?I think about this question from time to time. No, I don't wish I hadn't heard of EC. Sometimes in the middle of the night, the thought crosses my mind that I'd rather stay in bed and not get up to take her potty, but actually she often poops in the night so I'd be changing a diaper anyway. So I'm really glad to be doing EC and not changing a poopy diaper in the night, in that particular instance. In general, it is so much cleaner and I think I have more respect for her because we EC.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I have not done this in FOREVER! And since we're still trucking on, I thought I'd dig it up and do it again.

How old is your child? 26 months
When did you start EC? Part time 4 days, Full time One month, Nights 5 months
How's it going at this age? Not bad, normal for us LOL...some days are great, some days are wet, such is life.
When are you having misses? Wow, it's amazing how I don't pay attention to this stuff now! We have misses at night sometimes, when we're too tired to get up and potty him. And we have misses during the day if we don't potty him on time.
When are you having the most success? Well, for poop, surely. That's not a time, but it's the only thing he'll vocalize...yesterday he was "trapped" in the other room (we had a baby gate up) and DH fell asleep, so he called me in, "Mama! Poop! Poop! Poop!" hehe. We have lots of success if we watch the clock.
Does your child signal/ are you only using timing/ what is the signal? He tells us for poop, we use timing for pee. Occasionally he'll ask to sit on the potty and pee, but it's rare, and normally it's if you're in the bathroom going and he walks in.
What does dc wear (diapers, trainers, nakeybutt, whatever...)? Diapers...he wears undies every once and awhile. After 2 years of changing wet pants and wiping up pee misses, I'm really over that. Diapers are cool, and are in no way a sign of not doing EC full time.
What is your child currently using as a potty? Mostly the little potty, but he can sit on the toilet as well, mostly no reducer, he doesn't seem to like the reducer right now.
What do you do for nights? Potty him when he wakes up. Some nights we're better about this than others, but it doesn't really seem to impact if he's dry or not. Last night he was dry from midnight until 8 am, despite waking and moving around and all that, some nights he can't last a few hours.
What do you do for being out and about? We potty less than we used to out and about, but he can hold it longer so he's probably dry about as much as he used to be. We potty if necessary.
Any insights about this age/hints for other parents? I think by the time you get to 2, you just don't worry about it anymore. Let go of the expectations...effort on your part won't get you a grad any faster than trying to get your kid to walk early is going to work...they just do this on their own time.
What's your favorite part of ECing at this age? I like that he's very much a little person about it. He can tell us in words, he gets excited about wearing undies, all that.
Any interesting or exciting EC moments this month? Interesting: DS has had to stay with my mom a few times this month, and apparently this stressed him out (I think it was that he stayed with my mom on a weekend and DH and I have never dropped him off and went somewhere...I needed to go to the ER for an ultrasound, so it was necessary, but I think it bothered him that we BOTH left...normally it's just me going there with him and then I'll go to the dentist or something) and we had a few poop misses. I wouldn't think stress would matter at this point, but apparently it still does.
How have your expectations of EC changed this month? This month, I'm not sure. Since I last updated, I've just become more laid back about it. When DS was tiny, I would get kind of perfectionist about keeping him dry, and EC was no fun. Once I let go of that, things were better, but I still had all these expectations about him being done by 18 months or 2 years. Now that he's older than that, I feel like there's nothing to "live up to" so I can just enjoy the daily process of taking him to the bathroom, and not worry about it. He'll get it eventually...there are lots of EC'd kids his age still trucking on like we are.
Do you ever wish you had never heard of EC? I used to, when I would worry about if he was in undies, or when he'd be done, what I was doing "right" or "wrong" to make him do "better", but now that I really don't worry about those things, I think it's great. You would think having a non-grad at over 2 wouldn't make you feel that way, but it does...it makes all the time we've put into this even more important. Think about how many diapers I would have changed! How much poop I would have cleaned! Plus, DS is very VERY attached to his "stuff" (mostly clothes, socks, hats, that sort of thing) so he would not have taken to traditional potty training well. Glad I didn't have to learn that by diapering and then trying to potty train! Just taking him to the bathroom like always is much gentler than trying to bribe him or cajole him or whatever I would have needed to do to potty train him.

User Tag List