Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the only aspect of this conversation that I think compares with NIP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
It's not about whether or not it's actually sanitary to pee a baby in a public sink- it's about making other people comfortable if they walk into the restroom while your baby is doing his/her thing. Some people won't care, and some people will be completely freaked out by it.
If it's just about other people being freaked out, I really don't care. I'm taking care of my baby and myself in the best way I know how, and really that should be what matters, just like with NIP. Unlike with NIP, there is a sanitation issue, and while I disagree with some others on where lines should be drawn, I completely respect those opinions and am willing to listen to that argument. Lines should be drawn somewhere, unlike with NIP.

Gotta get to bed, maybe more later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM

I may take some heat for this: we've EC'd him in parking lots, right on the pavement as well as on the beach and on the side of the road. When he's gotta go, he's gotta go!

As far as holding him over a sink in a public restroom, I've done this a few times myself. I don't see any harm in it. I can't imagine anyone would run their hands inside the sink, so what does it matter? It's interesting how a lot of mainstream parents were feeling grossed out about babies ECing over sinks...I've known quite a few mainstream parents who have no qualms with picking up pacifiers that have hit the floor in a public establishment or the ground, "cleaning them off" in their mouths and then sticking them back into their baby's mouth.
#33 of 48 Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMama View Post
I may take some heat for this: we've EC'd him in parking lots, right on the pavement as well as on the beach and on the side of the road. When he's gotta go, he's gotta go!

As far as holding him over a sink in a public restroom, I've done this a few times myself. I don't see any harm in it. I can't imagine anyone would run their hands inside the sink, so what does it matter? It's interesting how a lot of mainstream parents were feeling grossed out about babies ECing over sinks...I've known quite a few mainstream parents who have no qualms with picking up pacifiers that have hit the floor in a public establishment or the ground, "cleaning them off" in their mouths and then sticking them back into their baby's mouth.

I'm not mainstream, and I think it's gross. Nothing - not even close - to NIP. I think the putting pacifiers in mouth thing is gross, too.

Just b/c one thing is gross it doesn't negate another. I am a supporter of EC, but think it should be done respectfully. Crapping in a sink is just not respectful.
#34 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
I am a supporter of EC, but think it should be done respectfully. Crapping in a sink is just not respectful.
If you're going to take issue with that then what about people who pee on the toilet seat or leave their pee or poop in the toilet without flushing or how about those who don't wash their hands and then their germs are on the door handle for everyone to touch as they are leaving the bathroom? Those feel, to me, to be greater displays of disrespect than simply allowing a baby to go where he's the most comfortable.
#35 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Our six week old gets a pottytunity wherever we do a diaper change. She used the midwife's sink last week. Otherwise its in a toilet, in one of her BBLPs or on the ground. And every once in awhile, held over a diaper for discretion. I think pees and poops are different... peeing in the yard, etc. but #2 needs to be taken care of properly. With a babe, this doesn't always happen, but the amounts are tiny enough I'm not going to stress out about it.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#36 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Yea, I didn't potty him outside in the beginning 'cause I was never sure we weren't going to get poo. (I'm still not entirely sure, but the odds are much better.)
#37 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:

As far as holding him over a sink in a public restroom, I've done this a few times myself. I don't see any harm in it. I can't imagine anyone would run their hands inside the sink, so what does it matter?
Same here. DS loves peeing outdoors.

We potty DS over our bathroom sink. Occasionally he poops (most of his poops go in the toilet, but sometimes he sneaks one in) in the sink and I really, really don't care. I wipe it out with some TP, splash some soapy water around and that's that. Soap itself IS antibacterial, so I don't make a big fuss over what I clean the sink out with. (And studies have shown that e.coli bacteria can easily survive most "antibac" soaps anyway, there is really no difference). Whenever I clean the bathroom, I clean the sink too. It's just poop. I'm not eating it or rinsing off tonights veggies in the bathroom sink either. There's more chicken crap tracked into our house and sheep manure under my nails than DS poop in my sink. Again, it's just poop.

We travel with a potty bowl and will generally take him to the bathroom to use it. At other people's houses we use their toilet. In public restrooms we generally use the toilet, but sometimes use the sink (if all stalls are full and he's desperate), and splash it out with soapy water when finished.

I would certainly never eat out of my OWN bathroom sink, let alone a public bathroom sink. You're washing the same germs off your hands into the sink anyway, touching the faucets with those same germy hands. I have not seen current media musings about EC (I love not having TV) but from the sounds of things, EC is getting a pretty bum wrap.

(Wacka, wacka).

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#38 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
If you're going to take issue with that then what about people who pee on the toilet seat or leave their pee or poop in the toilet without flushing or how about those who don't wash their hands and then their germs are on the door handle for everyone to touch as they are leaving the bathroom? Those feel, to me, to be greater displays of disrespect than simply allowing a baby to go where he's the most comfortable.

LOL. I *do* have issues with that, too. Does it have to be one or the other? Or since some people are rude, then it's okay for others to be rude, too?

How about everyone just start peeing and pooping in sinks. Yeah, now THERE is a good idea! =)
#39 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I completely agree that leaving urine on a toilet seat is disrespectful and I curse everyone who does it! Really! CURSES! I hate that!

BUT multiple wrongs do not make a right. Just because someone else engages in a rude and disgusting behavior, doesn't make it ok for you to engage in a rude and disgusting behavior. If a behavior is inappropriate in public (and I think having your child use a public sink as a bathroom, IS), then it is just inappropriate.

Besides, is your plan to lead by example? "GO ahead and pee on the seats! After all, my baby pees in the sink!" Ugh!

For those of you for whom leaning over the toilet is uncomfortable... um... that is your deal to manage. I am *positive* there are some creative solutions that would be right for you and don't involve your little one spraying urine all over the bathroom. Seriously.
#40 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
I completely agree that leaving urine on a toilet seat is disrespectful and I curse everyone who does it! Really! CURSES! I hate that!

BUT multiple wrongs do not make a right. Just because someone else engages in a rude and disgusting behavior, doesn't make it ok for you to engage in a rude and disgusting behavior. If a behavior is inappropriate in public (and I think having your child use a public sink as a bathroom, IS), then it is just inappropriate.

Besides, is your plan to lead by example? "GO ahead and pee on the seats! After all, my baby pees in the sink!" Ugh!

For those of you for whom leaning over the toilet is uncomfortable... um... that is your deal to manage. I am *positive* there are some creative solutions that would be right for you and don't involve your little one spraying urine all over the bathroom. Seriously.
Nah, multiple wrongs don't make a right. That wasn't my point...only to illustrate that there are lots of different ways to be disrespectful, so to make a big deal out of something that I don't feel (and neither do many other people) is disrespectful seems pointless. What's the use in getting uptight about it? If you don't feel comfortable with it then don't touch the sink...if you don't like people peeing on the toilet seat then either don't use it or squat over it.

Also, my baby doesn't "spray urine all over the bathroom"...I seriously doubt any baby has done that
#41 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Peeing in the sink is not spraying urine all over the bathroom. I get more urine all over the bathroom trying to potty him in the toilet than I do in the sink. And if we get some on the rim of the sink, I can rinse it off. Not so the toilet.

It's urine. It's sterile. Even teeny tiny drops of poo - no different than if I change his diaper and then wash my hands in the sink. Or rinse off a poopy pair of pants in the sink, so they don't stain in the bag trying to get them home. It may be an "eww" issue, but it isn't a hygiene issue. It just isn't, in my opinion.

We're a little germphobic in this culture.
#42 of 48 Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm fascinated by this thread! We pee our dd in our bathroom sink all the time at home, and used to do it in public sinks too, but after we saw how many people were really put off by it, we stopped.

To me, the public perception of EC is more important than peeing my baby in the sink, even though I too find it much more uncomfortable and less sanitary to use the toilets (oh the things my dd touches in the stall...they make me shudder).

It's interesting, as Arwyn pointed out, probably none of us would have an issue with someone rinsing out a poopy diaper or pair of pants in a public sink (I could be way wrong here...maybe people WOULD be grossed out, but it wouldn't be as "wacky" or culturally bizarre KWIM?), but a baby peeing in the sink seems to freak people out much more (even to me, who does it at home, it does seem weirder).

Cultural perceptions are fascinating this way--I'm fully convinced that it's not more hygenic for other bathroom users if my baby uses the toilet rather than the sink (IF I wash the sink off with soap when I am done--pee is sterile after all)...but because of our cultural perceptions, it does turn people off from EC if they see me doing it. So I stopped. To me, it's not worth it. (Although, I AM more careful to avoid public bathrooms if possible! I try to find a discreet place outside for her to pee--not poo--so that nobody will see us and be grossed out, etc.)

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#43 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haha - someone said that they didn't think a baby would pee all over the bathroom... DH took ds to pee in the bathroom on the ferry a few weeks ago. It was the kind of bathroom that you lock behind you - only one toilet. Anyway, dh said the toilet was SO grody he didn't want ds anywhere near it, so he peed him in the sink. Mid-stream, ds reached down, grabbed his penis, an proceeded to paint the walls of the bathroom.... Dh tried to clean up, but the bathroom was so disgusting he didn't try too hard

Another poster asked about the toilet seats that are made for potty training. We bought the bjorn adjustable one but we have yet to use it. Anyone have experience with these? Do you tote them around for use in public? I figured it might be easier than toting a BBLP.

Oh well, I pee ds on the the wheel of the car all the time. He loves it. The joy of being a boy, I guess.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#44 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 AM

I EC'd my DS part time from about 3 months until he PL'd on his own at about 18 months. Never, not once, did it ever even cross my mind to pee or poo him in a sink and certainly not someone's tupperware. I've never met another ECer in person, but I think I would have probably been extremely put off if I had and they did this as common practice. I can only imagine what a mainstream non-parent would think. I agree that it's poor PR for ECing.
#45 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we pee ds next to/under/on the tire of the car in parking lots every day. It's just easier. And to be honest, everyone we know has no issue with it, and it's usually evaporated by the time we get back, so if anyone was going to step in it, it was probably us.

As for the sink, I don't do it in public restrooms because I would be uncomfortable with it. It's not a hygiene issue to me, it's just a little weird. And I would certainly wash out a poopy diaper in the sink, not carry it home with me, which would by far be grosser and much more messy than ds pooping in the sink.

Mostly when we're out I just have dh take ds to the bathroom, because no one ever comments in the men's room, and he can take advantage of the urinal. (Evidently the ones at the toronto zoo go all the way to the floor so my tiny 16 lb. 9 month boy got to pee standing up all day at our vacation lol) I do know dh often undresses him on the changing table, and probably leaves our stuff there, but it seems he has a much easier time than I do.

I really just don't find it gross, but I also don't find it gross cleaning a poopy diaper. Not the most fun, but not gross. I've spent time potty training other people's kids and cleaning the poop out of their pants, so I guess if that didn't gross me out, maybe nothing will. Interesting conversation though, even if I'm late to find it!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#46 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhagen View Post
Never, not once, did it ever even cross my mind to pee or poo him in a sink and certainly not someone's tupperware.
Just to be clear about the tupperware, we have used a tupperware with a lid as DD's primary potty since birth. It is soley for potty, and we would never use it for food! We keep separate ones for food!

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#47 of 48 Old 09-06-2007, 06:39 PM

We use a tupperware bowl (with lid, natch) as our travel potty. Makes peeing in the car much nicer when we can't find a convenient bush or grassy area.

It is solely for pottying.

But I have been known to stick it in the dishwasher, after it was well rinsed out, when we had let the ammonia sink into the plastic. If I can wash the cutting board with raw chicken juice in the dishwasher, why not a potty? Either the dishwasher is protecting me from icky germs, or it's not. So far it does just fine.
#48 of 48 Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 AM

Arwyn- Pee is usually sterile, but when it passes over the anus, it can become contaminated. Also, it is possible for the urine of a sick child (depends on the illness) to contain germs that can pass on the illness. Rare but possible.

And regarding the dishwasher- we don't all use a dishwasher. Some of us use cold-water cycles only in our washers and do all dishwashing by hand.

If we want to get back to natural ways of living, I think we need to accept some totally natural taboos regarding certain bodily functions. The taboo for urination and defecation is not a product of the industrial revolution. It is found in all societies. And it comes from age-old experience.

Poop is dirty. Pee is less so but also not safe. We do not pee upstream, uphill, or in public areas.

These taboos helped to develop the Torah, the Quran, and many other traditional sanitation codes.

The breastfeeding taboo, by contrast, is very new and localized to a few cultures. So I disagree that we can compare these two taboos. One is age-old and comes to us from thousands of years of experience. One is new and comes to us from a puritanical-cum-oligarchical capitalist society. I question the latter but not the former.

And regarding the washing of hands: nasty. I know that people don't wash their hands and it's disgusting.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page