Verbal cues: "pee" vs. "psss" and other onomatopoeia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that a lot of ECing cultures use sounds like "psss" as cues for pee because they sound somewhat like running water, but I'm wondering how much success people here have had using other cues such as "pee". I'm reluctant to use "psss" because I don't want my kids to feel like they have to pee whenever they hear someone shushing noisemakers in the library (or some other such place), and I figure that good-old operant conditioning should still work for "pee" just as well as "psss". But it occurred to me that there might be something else about the "psss" sound that either is easier for an infant to perceive or is more readily associated with water and peeing, perhaps because it taps into their other experiences hearing the sound of water running.

So what are your experiences? Has anyone here tried to use "pee" as a cue? If so, how well did it work? Did anyone try both "pee" and "psss" (or something like that) and compare their effectiveness?
#2 of 15 Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM

My husband says pee pee pee when cueing our daughter... I just kiss the top of her head several times in a row and ask her if she has to go potty. Both work for us.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 AM

I think that any cue works. Generally, I think that getting him into position is really the only cue he NEEDS, but I like to give a little "pss" to let him know that yes, I really do want him to pee here. I think that psss is just easier for babies to replicate themselves, rather than "pee". I know my 10 month old can't really say any words yet, but when he's standing up to pee he says "pshh" and looks down before he pees. As for confusing "Psss" with "Shhh" it won't happen. Babies are much more receptive to the nuances in language than we are because their language is developing, and while they sound similar to us, they don't sound all that similar to babies. Plus, "pss" is contextual for pottying. But that said, there's no real reason not to use a different cue, you can use whatever you want!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
#4 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 AM

I dont see why it wouldnt work if you wanted to use that instead! I made the mistake of using actual running water as a cue for a short while - and then of course...when I went into the kitchen to get a cup or water...or I had to mop the floor at the church..anywhere were water ran became an 'issue'! lmao... Serves me right ! ha... So we just used 'pss pss' (which I think actually shounds very different from a 'shh shh'! lol) - and no 'issues' with it either!...But I also agree, the positioning itself is a cue and I found this to be true shortly after so we only used the 'pss pss' for a very short while!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#5 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM

We use 'pss' and have no problems with confusing that and 'shhh.' For pooping we actually just grunt a few times. Yeah, its not very elegant but we did it to a)mimic sounds Ds naturally made and b) make a totally different cue from peeing. This turned out to be helpful as Ds will start to grunt when we are offering a pottunity so we will switch positions to offer the chance to poop too. Now he can say 'poop' but he likes to say poop a lot so the grunting is still sometimes a better signal to us.
#6 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I actually didn't make myself very clear-- I didn't mean "shh" as in shushing (which I realize is what I said-- serves me right for trying to type one-handed while nursing and not really focusing on what I was saying). I was thinking of when someone might say "Psst!" to get someone else's attention quietly, which sounds a lot like "psss" because the final "t' doesn't really get much emphasis. But it seems like good-old conditioning should do the trick well enough. It did occur to me that people are probably more likely to repeat "psss" consistently, whereas I find myself saying "pee" in all kinds of different intonations when I'm trying to get DS to pee or while DS is peeing (in the latter case, I end up exclaiming "pee!" excitedly because I'm so happy DS peed at the right time). I think I'll keep using it for now, unless it doesn't seem to be working.
#7 of 15 Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 PM

my pee cue is more like a snake hissing (or that is what one of my friends told me). I think of it as the water running sound. sometime i varry the sound like this ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhssssssssssssssssssssshh hhhhssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss then finally that pee will start trickling out
i am like you though, I don't want dd to have to pee everytime she hears the sssss sound

::
#8 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 PM

I actually think you are more likely to be talking about pee and using the word pee than you are to hear someone making the psst sound you are talking about...talking about pee sure seems to happen alot with little ones :-) Especially with EC, like when I want to tell my DH to pee him, or that he just peed, or how many pees I caught that day, on and on

But I agree with the PP that anything will probably work, although there does seem to be something primal about that pss sound, I can't quite name it, but it makes body sense to me.

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
#9 of 15 Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM

I actually use both, first I go pssss and then pee pee.

I knew someone who said every time their ds would hear water running they would pee! :

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#10 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM

We use peepeepee and poopoopoo. Works just ducky.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#11 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM

I use both pee, pss, and poo to cue DD. She's 5 weeks and doesn't really need a cue anymore, I just put her in position over the pot and she'll usually go.
#12 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
I actually think you are more likely to be talking about pee and using the word pee than you are to hear someone making the psst sound you are talking about...talking about pee sure seems to happen alot with little ones :-) Especially with EC, like when I want to tell my DH to pee him, or that he just peed, or how many pees I caught that day, on and on
That's true-- although I'm not as bothered by the possibility that DS will associate the act of peeing with the word whenever other people talk about it. Heck, I often feel like I have to pee when I hear other people talk about peeing a lot and I wasn't EC'd.

I do have slightly mixed feelings about it, though, since part of my thought process on this was that the way we talk about peeing conversationally sounds different from how I (try to) cue DS to pee, saying "pee-pee" or using a different tone of voice. But maybe that variability makes the cue harder to learn.

I'm starting to think that perhaps "pshhht" would be a good cue. People don't use that very often, and the times that I've heard it it's been in association with something spraying anyway. Plus it sounds very consistent every time, and it's a bit more discreet than "pee".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSerena
She's 5 weeks and doesn't really need a cue anymore, I just put her in position over the pot and she'll usually go.
Interesting-- how do you hold her? I've been having trouble steadying DS's head to hold him over the potty and preventing him from squirming. (He's just over 4 weeks.) For now I've just been catching pees over an open diaper, but sometimes it's messy.

Now I'm curious: At what age do babies most need a verbal cue?
#13 of 15 Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM

FWIW, we are late starters (started at 7 mo, about 6 weeks ago) and i have found a cueing sound to be very helpful. although it is hard to tell of the sound or the position is what does it. i almost think more the position. hmm...guess i really don't know.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#14 of 15 Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm reluctant to use "psss" because I don't want my kids to feel like they have to pee whenever they hear someone shushing noisemakers in the library (or some other such place),
I worried about this too but it turned out not to be a problem. There is something about HOW you say this and not the sound alone. But we also used other cues and talked it up in full sentences too. But while on the potty and encouraging the output, yes, you tend to prefer onomatopoetic sounds, at least while they are infants. I think it evolves with age and you might find "pee pee" and "potty" working just as well by the time they are say, 1, and more verbal.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#15 of 15 Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadotta View Post

Interesting-- how do you hold her? I've been having trouble steadying DS's head to hold him over the potty and preventing him from squirming. (He's just over 4 weeks.) For now I've just been catching pees over an open diaper, but sometimes it's messy.
?

I just hold her over the toilet, her legs resting on the seat, my hands under her armpits. I steady her head with my fingers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page