is 5 months old too late to start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd really like to try to ec. My dd is five months old and not mobile yet. Is there hope. Where and how do I begin. We do use cloth mostly so hopefully that will help. Any suggestions as to where to get started? I'm off the the library to get some books but wanted some actual stories of success at this late time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Oh, 5 months isn't that late, you aren't even considered a "late starter" yet! You can go to the "how's it going" thread and skim for the posts where people say they started later, and read those. I would start with trying to catch the timing pees, such as after naps and nursing, or whenever you think she has to go, just hold her over a potty or the toilet or sink or whatever. (Hold her facing away from you, with your hands under her thighs so she's in a "supported squat" type of position...I don't remember and I'm too lazy to check but I think tribalbaby.org has pictures of positioning). If you can keep her naked or in a coverless prefold for a little while and get an idea for how she pees, that would probably help too. Remember that she's had 5 months of being trained to go in a diaper, so it might take her a little while to get it, but she will catch on! Good luck, EC is lots of fun! Feel free to ask more questions, there are lots of helpful people on this board with specifics and the like!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 PM

:

I think 5 month is not late at all!
I agree to the after nap/sleep catches, those are the easiest and your DC will catch on quite quickly.
After feeding is also a good one.
good luck and have fun!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Not too late at all. We started actually trying at 9 months with both of ours, and they were done by 18 and 20 months (not including bedtime).

My best advice is to just go diaperless as much as possible. I was much more likely to catch poop if it meant the carpet was safe.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones replies. I think I'll start with naps (not that dd really takes any it seems!), or at least during the day when she wakes. Should I do it while I change her diaper, or would that just be confusing?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 AM

i say to let her be nekkie butt on a yoga matt, and start a potty log and just observe. when she starts peeing cue with the pss sound and show a sign(of your choice or the asl sign). keep the potty log going for two days or so, you will begin to see a pattern in your childs elimination patterns. then when you wake up one morning try to anticipate when by refering to the potty log.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM

You can do it while you change her...we actually started by just not putting a new diaper on until ds peed, and cuing him when he did.

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM

5 months is definitely not too late! We started at 3.5 mo and some friends of ours started at 5. We both found that the best catch occurs first thing in the morning. I hold baby in arms over sink and they sit with theirs on the toilet.

I highly recommend watching the DVD Potty Whispering. It visually shows you how to hold baby, etc. and takes less time than reading. My husband was on board with EC after the video, but would never have taken time to read the book.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM

I say during diaper change is another great time to catch that pee!
My dd always holds pee so I make sure to potty her at that time.

Before EC I used to get upset if she pees on a fresh new diaper, or all over her clothes while the old one is off. If anything EC helped me sold that problem.
I have a bblp right next to the diaper station.

User Tag List