Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just interrested!!! hehe

Did you come across it by accident?

Or did you read about it and make an active decion to give it a go?

I came across it by accident! Heard about it from my mother in law - but she didnt call it that and I thought she was crazy. Until I knew my son needed to poo around a week old and to save washing more cloth nappies, I would hold him over some toilet paper to do it and then flush that. I didnt know that was technically 'EC' at the time. When he was 11 months is when I read about it and then made a more active decion to do it full time! lol

My next will be completly active decision from birth!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM

A few other mothers were ecing at a babywearing meeting I went to. I thought they were crazy, but I gave it a try. My oldest was almost a year then, and that's when I started. My second dd has been ec'ed from birth.

Mama to Abby (Sept 2004), Vera (Jan 2008), and Penny (Apr 2011)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM

I read about it when I was researching cloth diapers (before I was pregnant, even!) and knew it was something I would be doing.

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM

I was actually looking for info about cloth "toilet paper" for me when I ran into diaperfreebaby.org. This was maybe two years ago, before I was married much less TTC, but I was instantly in love with the idea. I read more about it and got the Gross-Loh book. DH read about a chapter of that book and said "this just makes sense!" So we're definitely going to try it out.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM

i read about it in a blog many years before i even ttc and knew i would do it

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM

I found an article on it about and decided to do it in my freshman year of college, long before I'd even met my husband.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:33 AM
srs

I heard someone else mention it on a message board. At first I thought it was crazy, but after DD began pooping every morning at the same time at 7 months I figured we might as well give it a shot. That schedule is long gone, but we've never looked back. Next baby will be EC'd from birth.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 AM

A long time ago, when I traveled in Asia, I saw lots of very happy-looking babies and young children running around bare-bottomed. Years later, I got wind of the fact that some people were trying to go diaper-free here in the "West." I think I saw Ingrid Bauer's book in a library. I didn't know if it was feasible, but I thought I'd give it a go, when and if I ever had a baby of my own.

Here I am, with a delightful 4-month-old. I wanted to start from birth, but there was a lot to deal with and so she was about 2 months old before I started trying, and three months old before we could do it with any regularity.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:00 PM

I was so poor when my daughter was born that I googled "diaper alternatives" because I simply could not afford disposables.

I found a number of websites about EC and thought they were a joke, but then wondered who on earth would take the time to put together such an elaborate joke, so I tried it on my daughter who was 1.5 mo at the time. She peed the very first time I tried it and i was hooked.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Not sure whether it was an accident or reading about it. I read about it on a message board. Thought about it for one whole week, and thought "How could I NOT try something so sensible?" Lucky for me DH was ok with it, the rest of the family, both sides, thinks I'm nuts. (At least they are mostly quiet about thinking I'm nuts.)
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 AM

I read about it somewhere when DD1 was a baby and tried it because I was desperate to get rid of her rash. When it didn't work, I thought it just wasn't something I could commit to. Fast forward to DD2, who had the same rash issues. She spent a lot of time naked, and I noticed she cried before she peed! So I gave that whole EC thing another look and she's now graduated! Next baby will probably EC from birth, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 AM

i stumbled across EC from an article in a parenting magazine.
it was a woman who traveled back ti india to visit family and her relatives were appauled that her baby wore a diaper. her family showed her ec and she continued with ec when she returned to the west.
dd1 was 3 or 4 months when we first began our journey. dd2 was 1 or 2 months when we started.
i'm sooo happy to find such a wonderfull alternative to diapering!!
and i swear my girls are smarter than other babes thier age...or it just could be that my girls are the best in my eyes.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

i don't completely remember.

i think that i happened to read about it somewhere, and at first i thought it was a little odd and couldn't get the logistics.

but i looked into it a bit more, just out of curiousity and how certain aspects made sense, and i decided that it was a really good idea and that i wanted to try it.

i'm pregnant with my first; i havent' tried it yet.

i have decided to ask for diapers (cloth), so that i can use them as i get my head around the ECing process.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 PM

I used to work at an internet bookstore and they had copies of Diaper Free there. I started reading it on breaks and thought at first it was whack. Then I bought the book and returned to it while on bedrest with my pregnancy and it just clicked. I explained it to my husband and he liked the idea (it took a while to completely catch on with him) so we did it from the hospital on. It is simply amazing and I too think my baby is a wee bit sharper than most because she is doing things early and I think it has something to do with the fact that she has been sitting upright on a potty since 3 weeks and being read to on the potty since then....or I could just be imagining things.....she does get compliments alot though..
people at my church are getting turned on to it because we are a very enviro friendly congregation and into simple living..the older people actually think it makes a ton of sense because of early their kids were out of dipes...but i ramble..
Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM

I had read about it and planned to do it, and dh was particularly excited about the idea, but when ds was born I chickened out for the most part. He peed and pooped all the time! I just didn't see how I could possibly do it. I was on board theoretically, but had some sort of emotional block about it. We made several false starts and weren't very consistent for the first couple months - but I knew that eventually I'd convince myself that it worked because I'd read so many stories about other people doing it successfully! We went through a period of catching most poops and missing most pees, and I met with a local diaper free group around that time, which helped a lot to just see other people doing ec in public with their babes. I think the physical logistics were still somewhat hard for me to grasp at that point.

My big turning point came just a couple weeks ago when we took a long road trip from Texas to Wisconsin. A couple of the bathrooms in restaurants and truck stops along the way had the changing table inside a handicapped stall, and once I had his diaper off it was easy to just try and see if he needed to go in the toilet - and he ALWAYS did! He peed in several midwest parking lots on the way up, too. I realized that at home, I'm so distracted by all the things I "should" be doing (dishes, laundry, sweeping, email?) that I don't pay as much attention to ds's signs as I need to to make ec work. In the car, I was looking at him and paying attention to him all day, so I noticed when he squirmed and when he was uncomfortable.

We're back home now, and working it out - hopefully it sticks! (Although he just peed in my lap as I was typing this last bit, so obviously I need some more work on it)

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM

The pp who said she thought it was a joke...me too! I heard about diaperfreebaby and I thought huh? Maybe they mean toddler, but come to find out it's true! We've been doing it on and off for the last couple of months and I'm very happy with our progress, and DD laughs when she goes on the toilet, so I figure, if nothing else, at least we're having fun!

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 AM

I read about it in The Continuum Concept but didn't think it was doable in a modern culture. When I heard about parents who thought otherwise and were doing it, ds1 was long since potty trained but I realized in retrospect how much he had hated eliminating in his clothing and how hard he had tried to get me to understand as an infant. When I decided to TTC his little brother, I knew I was going to at least try.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
I read about it when I was researching cloth diapers (before I was pregnant, even!) and knew it was something I would be doing.
Same here.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 AM

I talked to a couple moms who had tried and thought "hmm, maybe, I don't know." Then a couple months after baby G was born I started realizing how predictable she was, so we gave it a try. At 4 months I had enough of diapers and we started doing it full time.

She had her one year Early Intervention evaluation a couple weeks ago. There were 2 therapists and a service coordinator at our house when she signaled that she needed to go. I took her and she pooped. They were amazed. I asked them were was that on their checklist of things she could do?! Yup, she won't put a ball in a container, but she puts poop and pee in the potty!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Oh, wait, I answered wrong. I came across the concept by accident (in the course of looking up info about cat litter boxes of all things) and promptly decided that it was what I'd be doing with my kids when I had some.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 AM

I grew up in asia, its common there - and I didnt remember that until ds almost peed on me when I was getting him ready for the bath and put him on the big toilet. That reminded me of the whole EC thing so we just put him on the potty whenever we changed him - and it worked! so now we do it whenever we are home.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM

It was totaly by accident. I saw it here and ignored it sometimes. It wasn't till we switched to cloth diapers that I realized that dd would pee in a clean dipe not two seconds after you put it on. So we started putting her on the potty,she was 6 mos old. Then I remembered that ec thing,I was doing it and didn't even know it.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM

I read about it before I started doing it... but started reading about it "accidentally" if that makes sense!

I was spending time researching other mommy stuff like babywearing after DS was born and then I kept on coming across "diaper free baby" or "elimination communication" until I finally thought to myself, "Well what is this really?" I read Laurie Boucke's infant potty training page and I thought "This makes so much sense!"

DS was 9wks when we started - and now I am a DFB mentor!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Like many of you, I knew it was something I would do for my children before I even had any. I knew I wanted to use CD's but a voice inside kept telling me there was something better. That's when I thought there might be a way for babies to be diaper free. Thanks to Google I quickly learned about the 'movement' of people who were practicing EC.

When I was 6 months pregnant I told my mother I wanted my babies to be diaper-free. She didn't respond and changed the topic. The following day she called me on the phone to tell me she had a nightmare of her unborn grandchild covered in poop in his crib and begged me not to do it. I don't know why I listened to her...

I put EC out of my mind and when my DS was 7 mo. old I made a friend here on MDC who was a part-time EC'er. She recently became full-time and her wonderful experience and definite bond with her DD convinced me to give it a try. The first day we caught 5 pees, 2 poos and we were hooked.

We've been EC'ing with my DS for 2 months now and it's fantastic! We don't catch them all but my DH and I sure have a blast when we do. It's amazing what get's us excited these days. :P
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM

..but really, I knew all about ECing before the LO was born, but hubby wasn't on for the ride and thought it would stress me out. He's probably right. When ds was 5 months old, I knew we'd start solids around 6mo, and I realllly didnt want to deal with solids poo in cd. SooO, I started putting him on the toilet after meals and upon waking. He got the idea pretty quickly, just a day or so. I have only missed 3x in the last 4 weeks and he's a 2x/dayer. I like that we incidentally catch some pees too, because that's less wet diaper for him. (I really dislike him sitting in pee and change him frequently)

Right now, this method suffices for us. We're going to move and have 2 bathrooms, at which pont the 1/2 bath will be just for ds and I will get a baby toilet seat and my dad will make a wooden step stool with ds's name on it (cute cute cute!) and I may be up for more than just inidental ECing to avoid messy dipes.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

to add to my previous post, i've decided to only ask for a few diapers to help out--perhaps some prefolds--and go from there.

i just finished ready Diaper Free and it just seems to make total sense. so, i don't need to be as nervous as i was the day that i wrote the previous post--which was a reaction to the way people were responding to me ECing (negatively, of course! LOL).

now, i'm really psyched and i know it's going to be no problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Baby Care Book - copyright 1915 & 1935 "The Book of Baby Mine" - start at 3 months

AND

My grandmother had a FIT that my 1st wasn't "trained" by 12 months-according to her most 50's babies were, you had several and you didn't want to do diapers all your life! You started early years ago.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I just thought it was wrong to stand by and watch my 9 month old poop in her pants so I bought a potty and started catching poops. When she was tiny and I was using CDs I was annoyed that she would pee as soon as I changed her, so I would "trick" her by wrapping her in a towel between the dirty and the freshie... I wish I had known about it then... I got a couple of books when she was 16 months because we were in a 2 month long potty pause and I found out about EC then.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
:

I was looking into CDs also but I was pregnant at the time, saw some info on it and then got the EC book from the library (well I had to do some borrowing thing for $1 so they can ship it from Illinos(sp?) the closest state library that had it)

User Tag List