separate pee and poo cues/signs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know this has been discussed somewhere here before but i can't get the darn search thing to work properly (are there tricks to that?).... i've been infrequently using the ASL toilet (which i hear can be confusing w/ waves anyhow) for both, and sss as the cue and then i talk to her about pee and poo too. and sometimes i try the all done sign. but i still feel it may be confusing to have the same cue and sign for both. pee is pretty clear; either she goes or not, sometimes needs an extra moment or whatever, but poo i feel like if it happens over the toilet it's often if i just have a feeling she needs to and keep waiting and cueing and it's early in the morning. she really doesn't poo that often and then she'll sometimes have a day where she goes more than once after not going for a week. so i feel like it could be helpful in future to have more clear communication about it. dd is 7 months now and we ec i would say part time (even more so b/c i'm the only one doing it with her :!) and i sign sporadically and she looks at it even less-- also it's hard to do the hold with one arm and sign with the other ting-- gotta get something to make the potty warm and maybe she'll like it better.... okay this post is super rambly but any ideas for me? TIA! and p.s. hey, i'm just so excited that we're actually doing ec! i remember 3 months ago how elusive it seemed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 PM

It sounds like you're super on top of the communication thing with your little one! I have only just started introducing the all-done sign with my baby (that one's easy one-handed!), but don't do any others yet, although when I do start signing, I will only use one sign to offer potty time, not what I think will happen in the potty . The way I verbalize our potty times are to use sss as the cue to go and as the tinkle word, and then name what is going on in the potty. So, it will go something like this, "Do you want to make some tinkles? Ssssss... Toot. Poopy (if there is any). Sss. Sss. Sss. Are you all done? All done (make the all-done sign at the same time)! Ahh, that feels much better!"

It sounds like what you're doing is clear and logical. Now, if we could only invent a warm potty...

Hope that helps!
#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

with my first we did try the asl pee sign, but it was too hard of a sign for her to do and very similar to all done. so we invented our own 2 taps on the chest. we had a seperate poop sign but dropped that and all toilet duties were two taps. with my second we did just the one sign from very early on and she learned it very fast and started signing fairly early.
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

thanks... i guess i'm on the right track-- using words to talk over the process as it happens, but stick w/ one cue and one sign (when i do sign!). maybe i'll switch to the two taps on the chest-- that does sound more accessible. do you think it's odd if i've been doing the other for a couple months and then just switch?
#5 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 AM

My DD is also 7 mo and we do separate signs...mostly because I'm trying to build awareness about what's happening. "Hey, you're having a bowel movement! <Sign letters B.M.> That's a bowel movement!" Sometimes she will pee on cue. Mostly she relieves herself in the BBLP out of habit, I think. But later on I think she'll be able to signal what she needs to do in advance.
#6 of 6 Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM

DS is 18 months, and just recently started signing. We only use the ASL "toilet" sign, and we know he has to poop because he's WAY more insistant upon it! "Mama!" Signs potty. Pauses. MAMA! Signs again. Lol. Also, he'll sometimes get my attention and do a little grunt, so that I know he has to poop! So, i wouldn't worry about it. We only taught the ASL sign half heartedly, and he still has caught on and can tell us when he needs to go.

And I don't think it would matter if you changed the sign you were using, we tried the tapping the chest sign for months and he didn't catch on, but as soon as I made the potty sign he was so excited and did it right away!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page