When to totally give up diapers for the EC toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing EC combined with cloth diapers with my baby since she was 5 weeks old. It has been great. We get almost all of her poops and the majority of her pees. Now, however, she is 20 months old. I thought we would be done by now! Yet, in the last couple of weeks she is having more accidents. She often walks around bare-bottomed and she has regularly taken to squatting and pooping on the floor. She will also pee anywhere. She stills tells me she has to go, but now not until she is going. A regular occurrence will be her squatting with a big pile of poop in front of her and her pointing at it saying, "Uh oh." Or "P, p, p." (poop).

What can I do to help her take this last step towards diaper independence? She still will go on the potty, although I have to put her on it she rarely initiates. She does still get most of her poops and many of her pees in the toilet, but right now it seems like we are moving further away from being done with diapers than closer to potty trained.

Ideas?
#2 of 3 Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Hi! I also have a 20 month old who we have been practicing EC with since he was 5 weeks old. He had been very uninterested in the potty when I am with him for a while now (fine for daddy though!). I felt like I tried everything. But just lately he has been really into going on the potty again! Yay! As long as he does it all by himself, or if I am reading to him. Our latest secret was to put on the Once Upon a Potty Video with his little potty in the room. He even takes the initiative to flip down his trainers by himself (which I didn't think he could do) and then comes and gets me when he is done going.

So maybe a potty video or book? I think with my ds he always sees us and his brother going in a 'real' potty by ourselves and didn't feel comfortable with help on a big potty or on a potty that wasn't like everyone else's. So seeing a ton of kids around his age on the Once Upon a Potty Video going in pottys like his, helped him feel more comfortable I think.

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Probably not helpful, but I'm starting to think it's the age from the many things I've read lately. DS is 20 months too, and while he's fine on poops, pee normally goes on the floor. He'll comment on it while he's doing it, or call me when he's done to help him clean it up, but he doesn't go and sit on the potty by himself. He'll go if I take him to the bathroom, but he doesn't initiate either. I have been having those days lately where gradhood feels oh-so-far-away! However, I have often heard of this stage refered to as the one last horrible potty strike before the end, so I'm hopeful that's what it is.

I don't know about your DD, but DS is in a very "toddler" stage right now, which I think is due to his canines coming in...they're not in yet but from all our other experiences with teething he seems to have his teeth move around in his gums for a long time before coming in. He's very moody and inconsolable and tantrumy lately. His new thing is that he very deliberately pees on the floor when he's mad and that's the end of his tantrum. I'm not sure if he expects us to get upset or something? Lol. I'm always impressed when he does it because it shows me he does have the know-how and control!

Anyway, that was a long answer just to say that it sounds like your DD is a typical 20 month old, and that things might change very soon! You're not alone, anyway!

Mama of two... DS born at 35w5d (11/06) and DD : born full term 38w3d (5/09) on what would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Always missing my dad who died of oral cancer 3/11/09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page