groin pain in pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-08-2002, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a new doula and have a client whose groin muscles are really painful. It hurts enough that she won't move anymore than from her car to her job and back again.
Does anyone have suggestions on what she can do to decrease the pain? She was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes and needs to get some excercise, so I am really concerned for her.
Thanks
#2 of 13 Old 05-08-2002, 03:50 PM

How far along? How many hours a day sitting, lying or being otherwise sedentary? Previous pregnancy history?
#3 of 13 Old 05-08-2002, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

She's at 30 weeks.
I can't tell you how sedentary she is in hours, but her partner was saying she only walks when she absolutely has to do so.
This is her first pregnancy.
#4 of 13 Old 05-08-2002, 04:27 PM

It may just be round ligaments - these cause very significant pain in some people/pregnancies. Stretching won't help much - they are already too stretchy which is why they hurt. Walking may help some, but it may be one of those things there isnt much you can do anything about at this point - it's likely a bit late to start pre-natal yoga and the like. If everything else is ok per the Midwife or OBG, and walking is necessary to reduce blood sugar, then she just may need to be supported and encouraged to walk despite the pain and to use her breathing techniques to cope. I do not know of any herbal remedies or soaks for this, others might however.
#5 of 13 Old 05-09-2002, 12:21 AM

Hi! I must say I agree that it sounds like ligament pain... There is hope though, have her do pelvic tilts (between 50 and 100 a night)- (preferably on all-fours, but sitting or lying will work, it just takes a bit longer to get the results...) That strengthens the back and abdominal muscles, which will help relieve the pressure on the ligaments. When mom is walking, have her periodically hold her abdominal muscles tight to support the weight of the uterus. A good book is "Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year" by Elizabeth Noble...

That should greatly reduce moms discomfort after a few days of diligent effort...

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/Godsbabycatchers
#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 02:37 PM

I agree with the pelvic rocks and lots of hands and knees positioning. It will help relieve all that extra weight.
#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2002, 10:35 PM

oh my god i had this!!!! i started in the first trimester and lasted the ENTIRE time

it took MONTHS for anyone to give me a clue as to what was hurting!@!!!!

every single time i went ot move in bed, the pain would wake me

i never had a clue how many times at night i rolled over; adn then since i was waking so much i was in horrible shape from exhaustion

i gained new respect for apnea sufferers
#8 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 02:09 AM

Yep, its the uterine ligaments pulling. I used to teach a labor and pregnancy massage class (i'm also an LMP) and there is a great technique to help this. And IMHO,it also makes you feel not pregnant anymore! Anyways, lace your fingers together and place them under the mom's pregnant belly. BUT, make SURE that she has emptied her bladder prior to trying this . Then GENTLY and SLOWLY lift up, not in, but up and hold for a few seconds and then gently release. I LOVED it when my dh would do this~I felt like I was no longer pregnant and it helped w/the ligaments. Also, those pregnancy belts can help w/this also.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#9 of 13 Old 05-11-2002, 06:15 PM

I'm thinking that mamajoy's post was misunderstood. I, too, have frequent severe GROIN pain... that is, pain on the sides of my vagina/inner thigh, which (obviously) couldn't be a strained uterine ligament. Although, I have intense ligament pain, as well! LOL
#10 of 13 Old 05-12-2002, 09:56 AM

Hi Candiland... ! Fortunately the same exercises will help resolve that problem as well... but she will need to increase the number of kegels she does as well to strengthen the hammock of pelvic perineal muscles and reduce pressure on the nerves which run to that region.

Also, some skilled massage or acupressure to the sacral nerve region of the pelvis would help her, and she might want to consider a few sessions with a chiropractor to make sure that the shift in her bones due to softened ligaments isn't helping cause some of her nerve discomfort...

Pool activities can be a welcome respite, the boyancy of the water helps relieve strain and support the abdomen, and it sooths tired/overstimulated nerves...

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#11 of 13 Old 05-16-2002, 04:32 PM

Hi Ladies! I thought I would mention that if these exercises did not work- or the pain is absolutely excruciating to the point that exercise is impossible, you should rule out a separation in the symphysis pubis. The ligaments will soften in pregnancy and on occasion the ligament of the symp. pubis can get separated resulting in bone rubbing bone when mom moves at all. The pain would be inner thigh, pelvic, and even sometimes lower back. While not too common, it can be horribly painful.

The only treatment is a pregnancy belt/ support and restricting movement. It can take months after birth to fully heal...

Normal "give" of the symphysis ligament is a space of about 9mm, if it is 10mm or more, it is considered a separation- or diastasis...

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#12 of 13 Old 05-17-2002, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have a lot of info that should help my client and I will file away for the future. I feel so lucky to have knowledgeable women like you to consult with.
#13 of 13 Old 05-22-2002, 12:40 AM

I'm not a midwife or doula, but I've had gestational diabetes. As far as the exercise part goes- can't she do upper body exercises while sitting down? The childbirth educator told me that those are the most effective for GD anyway. Get her some handheld weights and a 20 minute upper body exercise routine to do after meals.

I've got some round ligament pain too this time around, but nothing so intense. I noticed that it doesn't bother me at all when I'm in a pool. If she has access to a swimming pool, she can exercise in there too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page