Question for the midwives/aspiring midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently considering going back to school to earn my CNM masters. While this is something that I am very passionate about I have some hesitations on the decision for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that I already have 2 masters degrees and I am currently not using either. (Obviously it has taken me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life!) In order to earn a CNM masters I would have to take a year-going to school part time-to catch up on the science prerequisites to enter into a full time accelerated BSN program for a year and then spend 2 years earning a masters in midwifery. I am also concerned with what the job market will be like-I am hoping that if I can find a good paying job as a midwife that my dh will be able to pursue his dream of opening his own photography business. The final concern involves our child and children yet to come. We do not live close to family and my husband will have to keep working so I can go to school full time.

If anyone out there is traveling a similar road or can provide any insight I would love to hear it. I am feeling a bit defeated that I finally know what it is that I want to do with my life and now there seem to be so many road blocks!

Thanks
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2004, 06:14 PM

I can sympathize re: multiple masters degrees. *sigh* I promise I'll use THIS schooling!

I can tell you that the program I am doing is not a nursing program at all. I toyed with the idea of ANOTHER freaking masters and then really sat down to look at the type of care I want to provide. I want to be relatively autonomous, as I've not met many OBs I'd care to work for or answer to. I can't do that as a CNM. The list of reasons can go on, but I'm constrained by time.

The CNM option is a nursing degree first. Midwifery second. I just want to be a midwife. Period.

The program that I am going to do is the same length of time as a masters but more focused on the art of midwifery. Small babies can attend classes with you, it is designed for people with families and/or other careers, so the classes are concentrated into two days per week. It's a lot more mama-friendly than the classes I had originally thought I'd be taking.

I think that midwifery is a path that can be accommodating to your life as it is now, but in the same manner, midwifery is a life, one not necessarily outside of my life now, but in synchronicity with. Hum. It makes sense in my head.

I know how you are feeling, guilty that I spent all that time and money and energy in *that other* field only to not ever want to work again in it. I have to say, I'm hooked. I'll not be able to do much more (other than mother) and be satisifed.

Amanda
Old 04-13-2004, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda-
Thanks so much. I would love to hear more about the program you are currently involved in-please pm me if you are uncomfortable disclosing all the details here. It is great to hear from someone in a similar situation.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 AM

The school is called Florida School of Traditional Midwifery. You can see the school, classes, etc., here.

It looks great, and I should have my interview within the next two weeks. I think that I may postpone the actual school another year, because my obligation to my family is so intense right now. (I have a 7 year old, 2 year old and a 6 month baby.)

My husband is really anxious for me to get started; he thinks it will be so exciting to tell people, "My wife's a midwife." :LOL It makes me happy to see him proud of me.

It really is a difficult position to be in. I kind of feel like I've had my *chance* to educate myself, and now perhaps, it's someone else's turn. But, I really think that this is where I need to be.

Amanda
Old 04-14-2004, 10:54 AM

I too have another degree- not a masters mind you but a degree in interior design. Turns out my passion is not decorating but birth... who knew?...

So what I decided to do was this-

First, i became a lll leader, back in 2000. I liked that so much, learning a lot about breastfeeding, working with pregnant and new moms, and babies...

Then, I worked on getting doula certification. I am currently doing doula work, about one birth a month, and I love it.

Now, I am also enrolled in a nursing program. It's going to take me four years, since I've got little ones at home too and I'm only going part time. I will earn an associate's in nursing, and be an rn. I found a hospital that pays for the whole thing, then you just need to work there (full salary) for two years upon graduation. The plan for now is that I will go for the bachelors while putting in my two years, then after that decide whether I want to keep going on to earn the midwifery degree, or stop there and be a l&d nurse, or find a position somehwere relating to birth such as childbirth education, midwife's assistant, whatever...

I didn't just decide to go this route only for birth though. I wanted a degree that would give me a good pay and secure knowledge of finding work too in case I'd ever be in the position of having to support my family. Interior design never gave me that, so...

Hope this helps you a bit. I should add my hubby is supportive in everything and works from home most days of the week, so that helps a bunch. Good luck!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 04-15-2004, 01:28 AM

Amanda, Ive always wanted to go to that school, Im down here in S Florida, I just had to tell you -youre going to the school of my dreams
~mary

User Tag List