Does insurance cover doulas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My insurance United Healthcare, when I asked them about it, they didn't even know what a doula was. :
#2 of 10 Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 PM

Two of my friends have worked with clients who have successfully been reimbursed by their health insurance for the services of postpartum doulas. One of their clients pursued reimbursement with her insurance because she has a cesarean birth and she successfully proved to them that the services of postpartum doula were more cost-effective than being hospitalized for postpartum infection. I do know that it was a long process.

I do not know of any of my birth doula friends who have had clients get reimbursed for their services.

Are you hoping to have a doula at your birth, Letia? Is the cost prohibiting you from looking into it? If so, I would say find a bunch of doulas and interview them and let them know what you can afford to pay them out of your pocket and if you need to do a payment plan or the like. From what I know of you from your posts here, a doula would be a great support for you at your birth.

warmly,
claudia
#3 of 10 Old 05-05-2004, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmmmmm wonder if it was United Healthcare....I guess not, if they don't know what a doula is!

I was considering it. However, I guess my trip to the DONA site, there isn't one in our new area. I am interested in Bradley and maybe that will help dh. Some things I think he can handle, others not so sure. Already, its going to be our second child, first live birth, so that's a whole nother different situation. I have a friend who's a member here; but, she lives in the SW US and I live in the SE and I'm not sure she'd make a birth. So, a doula may be a moot point b/c of availability. I just thought I'd check here and see if the doulas were ever paid or partially by the insurance companies. It blew me away that they didn't even know what one was. :
#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM

I had UHC too, and they didn't cover doulas.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 10 Old 05-05-2004, 07:44 PM

Letia,
Have you looked at birthpartners.com? I hope you can find a doula...they are very helpful in a hospital setting especially
#6 of 10 Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

noooooo.... Just DONA! Thanks!
#7 of 10 Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 PM

I'm currently pregnant and working with a doula for this pregnancy, and plan to birth at a free standing birth center. She said that she doesn't know of any company that outright covers doula services, but that she has had several clients successfully get reimbursed. You have to file a claim, get denied and then submit an appeal. My doula stated that she will provide us with statistics on how her services saved money when we file the appeal. I hope it works.
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2004, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used a doula for my first birth and wrote a letter stating how doulas save money, etc, all the things insurers want to hear. I explained that I had avoided the $1000 epidural (which they cover, but not $400 for a doula!) and that at one point a c-section was recommended, but having the doula there helped me avoid that, so I ended up saving them over $10,000. They sent back a letter with only one statement: "We do not pay for doula services."
#9 of 10 Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

:
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2004, 11:33 PM

My sister was able to send in her paid statement to their cafertira plan and be reimbursed. so they considered it a medical expense; though the insure didn't cover it.

(cafertia plan is where you take a set amount of money out pre-tax and it goes into a savings account -- then yoiu can submit recipts and rbe reimbursed back for medical expenses -- Rx, co-pays at the doc, anything you have to pay insurence won't).

So that is an option.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page