Macrosomia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Macrosomia

I just had an 11 pound baby last week. The peds doctor said I must have had gd due to his size and the fact he tested low blood sugar 27 after having no breastmilk and not being with me. This was my fourth pregnancy and my first son. He was 11 days past due date. The rest of his measurements were all in the mid to high 90th percentile. The biggest of my other babies was 8 pounds 14 ounces. My husbands uncles were all this same size and are now all 6'4 and taller.
I just need something from the other point of view that I could have just had a big baby with no gd. Also, positive things about macrosomia babies as adults with no type two diabetes or metabolic problems. I am just so upset that I ruined him for life with being programed for diabetes and metabolic problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

If someone could please give me advice of where to move this post so I can get some responses that would be great. I really need some word other than the ped doctor who says gd and that is it.
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My suggestion would be to get an HbA1c test done ASAP. It's a simple, widely-available blood test that gives an estimate of your average blood glucose levels over the past 3 months. An elevated result would show that you had GD.

I say ASAP because the longer you wait, the less the results will reflect your pregnancy levels.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Finally something I can do. Thank you so much for your help I am awaiting results from the test which I took 12 days after his birth. He just had his well check and is growing quite a bit so hopefully it was not gd. However, if it was he is doing okay so far. I can't tell you how much your help has meant to me.
#5 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

My blood test came back within the normal range according to the office at 5.3 , but I saw somewhere that you still can have had gd with a normal HbA1c. Does anyone know what this means? Is the 5.3 okay? My fasting blood glucose came back with 76. Also, does anyone know if a macrosomia baby keeps growing at high percentiles overall that they are just bigger not due to gd?
I am not sure if these numbers are to celebrate no gd or not. Thank you for all of your help. The mothering community has been a wonderful support to me.

Last edited by Almond4; 07-29-2014 at 07:48 PM.
#6 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Great!
#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
5.3 indicates an average blood glucose level of about 105 - a little higher than normal, but not diabetic. 76 for fasting blood glucose is perfect, but since gestational diabetes often resolves very quickly after delivery, it doesn't necessarily indicate anything about how things were during pregnancy.

You can have GD with a normal A1c because GD reflects the average of the past 3 months rather than current levels. Since GD generally develops later in pregnancy, an A1c test done at around the time of the glucose tolerance test might reflect lower levels from earlier in pregnancy. However, one done at the very end of pregnancy or early postpartum should, at least in theory, reflect the third trimester.

They also say it because GD that's well controlled by diet won't result in an elevated A1c, but in that case, it shouldn't be an issue for the baby, either.

I'm not a doctor. There may be something I'm overlooking (such as the effects of normal hemodilution or blood loss during birth), though I'm not seeing much about that in what I've read. It's also very possible that, regardless of the validity, a doctor is not going to take it into account. However, from what I've seeing, you have a baby with several indicators of non-diabetes-related macrosomia (boy baby, overall large and not just fat, tall family members), and an A1c that doesn't clearly indicate that you did have GD, though it doesn't necessarily prove that you didn't, either.

It's also possible that it could be a combo of mild GD and a baby who would have been large regardless.

I'm not sure if knowing whether or not you had GD really effects anything in the long run. If you had it, you would want to be aware of it for future pregnancies, and in general since you'd be at higher risk for type II DM in the future. But that could happen anyways, so it's good to be aware of regardless. As far as the baby goes, feeding a healthy diet and otherwise encouraging good health in childhood is the best thing you can do regardless.

In any case, even if you did have GD, you didn't ruin him for life. Even if he ended up with associated health problems, which isn't a given, he's not ruined.

My brother was nearly 10lbs, by the way. He's in his 30s now, and 6'4", with no significant health or weight problems.

Anyways, I'm sorry if my suggestion was overall not particularly helpful, since it can't provide a definitive answer, but hopefully it helps give you a little peace of mind.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#8 of 8 Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. If anyone else has insight or something to say please feel free to write a reply. Thank you so much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page