midwives..questions about twin pregnancies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-12-2002, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nearly five years ago I had twin girls born naturally at home at 37 1/2 weeks. While I am not looking for an award or anything (okay, maybe a little praise, I worked really hard at keeping them in there ) I am puzzled that when I meet new midwives I am almost always given a negative response. Can you give me any insight on why I would get a less than favorable response (e.g. ...oh, I would never attend a homebirth of twins......I have never heard of a midwife attending a homebirth of twins..etc.). While I am no longer bothered by the responses, I am curious!

My other question is that I am trying to figure out why most OB's insist that mothers carrying twins be induced if they have not delivered by 37 weeks. Is there a scientific study out there? I know that I was pretty uncomfortable at 37 weeks but I would not have considered that a reason for being induced. Are there risks to the babies after the magical "37" weeks?

I'm saddened that many midwives will not attend twin births, even if there are no signs of complications. What kind of exposure/education are you given about twin pregnancies and births in your training to become a midwife? Is there anything that mothers like myself can do to encourage more midwives to be present at twin births?

Thanks in advance for you time! Midwives rock!!!
#2 of 3 Old 06-14-2002, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Circleoflife, thank you for your response. I have been participating on a discussion board for twins at another website. While I see a great opportunity for educating other mothers, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the overmedicalization and fear associated with preparing for twin births.

I really respect your insight about needing to feel comfortable with a family that you would be attending. As you pointed out, the need to educate families exsists at every level in our society. I guess we have to just keep talking and sharing our positive experiences!

Thanks for the praise! I get my reward every day when I hug my daughters and at the end of the day when we snuggle in bed together! Blessings!! Jill
#3 of 3 Old 06-21-2002, 10:15 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your girls!!

I am not a midwife- just an apprentice but here's my .02 worth:

Depending on where you live and what types of regulations there are (if any), it can be risky for midwives to attend twin births at home. In regulated places, midwives are generally allowed to attend low-risk moms... and you know that twins are not considered low-risk.
So if a midwife has to transport a mom with twins, it not only affects her, but all of the midwives in her community (because it looks bad- makes midwives look irresponsible).

It's a lame game, but real.

The same applies to VBACs, now that they are no longer considered acceptable.

That said, the midwife I work with has attended twins births. But she makes it clear to the parents that in the event of transport, she can't come with them.

Anyhow, that's a little bit of insight from my perspective.

Good luck with your baby girls!!

Aloha,

Malama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page