Online/Distance midwifery training...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need suggestions for online or distance midwifery training courses.

I like the look of the AAMI intro midwifery course and then going on to take the 'real deal', but I didn't know if that was the BEST out there. Any more suggestions???

I don't want to become a CNM. My goal in the long run is CPM (even if they aren't recognized here in NC). I just want something right now other than just reading every book I can get my hands on to keep me learning while I'm still having my babies.

Ok, sorry for the long-winded request.....anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 PM

I'm studying through MCU--love their distance program. Website is: www.midwifery.edu

I'm excited to hear what other people are doing.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, there's something to be said for NOT attending a formal midwifery school, too.

I think AAMI and an apprenticeship is a PERFECT midwifery education. I don't know why there is a belief that you have to go to a "school" to be a good midwife or get a good, solid education.

In some states where midwifery is highly regulated, the schools may have more of a slant towards conservative midwifery or even leans towards more allopathic measures. This is not the case with all schools, but it is becoming more and more common.

Up until about ten years ago, all midwives learned either through self-study, study groups or from courses like AAMI. I rec'd my education through a formal school and I felt like it was good for me because I had no one in my area to study with and my preceptor didn't want to do my education beyond the apprenticeship. I also felt like school was the one thing that expedited my healing process over my daughter's birth.

BUT, would I pay twice as much for that same education today? Probably not. As a midwife, it's hard to start your practice with high loan bills. I was fortunate that I had to pay as I went through school. I'm sure that if I had lots of bills sitting at the start of my practice, I would have been more desperate for clients = open to problems.

I think it depends upon what your philosophy of birth is. If you know midwives that you like and find that your belief system fits with theirs, ask them about their education. Interview as many as you can (like your'e doing here!) and then REALLY check out the schools. Hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 PM

I'm an AAMI student.... chose it for price and for the fact that it's been around so long. I can't say I love everything about it, but I've learned TONS.

I agree with pamamidwife but you know it seems like midwifery is changing in the education regard (spoke for a long time with other mw about this). it used to be that an apprenticeship with self-study was enough. Now there are so many women wanting apprenticeships you have to do something to make yourself stand out! and SO many newer mw are attending some kind of "school". this isn't to say that formal education is better- just a newer trend.

I decided to do the school thing because I was NOT focused in self-study and my teacher mw didn't really have the extra time to help me with that. So now I'm trudging through a loooong curriculum because I'm determined to finish it!

GOod luck!
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 AM

I do my schooling through The Association of Texas Midwives. It's pretty free-form, definitely not conservative and you can mold it to fit your needs.

Is there a community of midwives in your area? Finding training outside of a didactic program when there are no mentor midwives can be tough. I know NC is illegal (I lived there for 8 years and hope to move back someday), are there many midwives in your area?

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 09-22-2004, 09:38 AM

I am starting online classes with The International School of Traditional Midwifery. They are not accredited, but their program looks awesome and I am very excited. The price for their school also agreed very much with my paycheck to paycheck, one income family! Their website is here. One of the things that I think is very cool about this school is the M.O.M.S. (Midwives on Mission of Service). I am very excited about going into another country to learn from and help to teach indigenous midwives!

User Tag List