homebirth midwives in Atlanta - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-10-2004, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am new to the Mothering community- I am looking for a home birth midwife in the Atlanta area- I have only one suggestion so far and I would love to hear from anyone who has had a home birth or knows a great home birth midwife. After researching hospital procedures and policies- I know home birth is the way to go for me. I appreciate all your help! peace
Jen

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#2 of 21 Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 AM

This is all I found
http://www.gamidwifery.org/

Also see birthpartners.com.

Best wishes!
#3 of 21 Old 09-10-2004, 03:07 PM

Hi Jen..

I have had both mine at home here in Atl..the Ga Friends of Midwives site is def. the best place to get info....when are you due? I just had my 2nd on Aug. 27th...best of luck to you...Meg Hartley
#4 of 21 Old 09-10-2004, 03:49 PM

my friend asali had a home birth midwife in atlanta and couldn't say enough about her - she absolutely loved her. i'll get her name for you and will send it on.
#5 of 21 Old 09-11-2004, 06:16 PM

I would be happy to help you...which part of town are you in? I would also recommend attending the upcoming event, "Atlanta Birth Options" on 9/26 for even more information on your local options, including homebirth.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#6 of 21 Old 09-12-2004, 05:36 PM

Now here comes the dirty little secret (me). This story can't really be told in a short post, but it is time for it to come out.

I had the same Atlanta home birth midwife for my first child as one of the earlier replyers and I have PTSD from the way I was treated (as nobody, nothing, a problem). My wishes were ignored and overrun, I am raped, I am degraded, my marriage and motherhood have been deeply affected. My months of creating a safe place for a physiological, body led birth (absent complications) were a waste of time -- there were no complications, just what seems like misogyny. Or a personal vendetta. My pelvic floor is mutilated. I will never have a well-woman exam again. Dentist appointments are too much like the vaginal penetration I endured after crying out "Get your fingers out of my vagina." I cry almost daily.

I never asked for help. I never said, "I can't do this. " I never asked to go to the hospital. Nothing was ever wrong with my baby -- no mec, perfect heart tones.

Oh, and I was separated from my baby from before the placenta was "delivered" a few minutes after the birth until oh, gee, I'd had an extensive repair and a meal and a shower and they'd done the well-baby exam. Just plucked from me without a word as I lay there in shock trying to pull myself together. After all, I'd just given birth on my back, in terror of the woman between my legs, torn to shreds, valsalva pushing, etc. Sorry I was not bouncing with joy. Take the baby away without a word. When I got her back however longer later, she was nothing but a blanket and a hat. She'd been partially washed, too. I never saw her naked and new, as my thick glasses were who knows where this whole time. Then it was too late for bonding. Oh, well, I needed my bonding energy to fight for my survival.

I will not be able to plan an attended birth with my current pregnancy, as I just will not be able to feel safe.

Pray for us. If this baby dies in childbirth, my husband says he will divorce me. Of course he will. I am doing it solo for my "comfort."

I do not want to be a secret anymore. Things must change.

I loved this midwife. It is not fair. I was a person.

And now I will hit "Submit Reply," before I lose my guts.
#7 of 21 Old 09-12-2004, 08:00 PM

Oh my. I am truly sorry that you had to go through this, and are still going through it. 2 I don't know what to say.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#8 of 21 Old 09-12-2004, 08:28 PM

That is a very unusual homebirth story and I certainly hope it doesn't affect anyone's decision to have their baby at home. I don't want to to seem as though I am prying, but since you felt comfortable enough to share your story...is their any history of abuse prior to this event? I know that for a lot of women who have been abused, birth can be a trigger and they see the birth as a rape/abuse situation all over again. Again, I apologize for asking such a personal question, but you seem to be asking for help.

To the op, there are many competent midwives attending births in GA.

#9 of 21 Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 PM

No I had absolutely NO history of abuse or rape prior to this event. The event was PLENTY.

I appreciate your asking because it is important that the birth community is educated about birthrape. There is a myth that women don't experience birthrape and PTSD at home births, unless they are previously abused. The assumption then becomes that we can do whatever we want to healthy moms birthing at home.
#10 of 21 Old 09-12-2004, 11:33 PM

I certainly hope my post did not appear that I don't beleive abuse can take place at homebirths. While I believe it can happen (why not), I know that it is far less likely than in a hospital situation.

So you had a great relationship with this mw prior to the actual event? No signs of any trouble until the birth? I wonder what happened/changed.

#11 of 21 Old 09-13-2004, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I am worried about this exact thing happening to me- I know in a hospital it would- I know that in my home if anyone did something against my will and was torturing me my boyfriend would shoot them on the spot or give me the gun so I could do so myself. I am horrified about this and I am already educating myself and my boyfriend about the reality of birthrape- a womans body should never be violated- especially at such a sacred time. My heart aches for you and I thank you for having the courage to speak out so that other mothers-to -be will not go through the same thing. I too consider an unassisted delivery because I do not want the possibility of being violated in any way- but I feel that I would benefit from the support of a truly compassionate gentle midwife. I was wondering- was your midwife kind and compassionate to you before the birth and took a turn or was he/she like that- did you see any signs of such a violent nature in retrospect?

I will pray for you and I know that if you have faith in your body to heal and transform the wounds of the past- this baby will provide a healing experience for you and will be happy and healthy- trust your body- it's the only thing you really can trust- but at least praise god we can trust ourselves. I am praying that your husband will see the pain you are going through and act as your ally in healing your spirit and body.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#12 of 21 Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 AM

I thought we had a great relationship prior to the birth, and after the birth we became best of friends -- because the trauma was too shocking for me to "remember." It came out in flashbacks starting 3 months later. I still barely believe what I experienced.

The only flag, which is only in retrospect, was that when I first called up she sortof half joked that she didn't want to take on a primip.

To her credit she has given me a lot of reasons why she did this, but they are all so anti-midwives model of care that it really upsets me to write them down right now. The main ones are that she didn't see me as someone who would deliver at home, because I was a professional primip in my thirties; and she didn't get to know my husband, even though she always said that was not a problem. Then there's "As a primip you were on the clock." There are others. Normally I just would cry, "why why why" and she would say, "there is no why." She would say, "I usually am right but when I make a mistake I do it big time."

Thank you for caring. I can only hope that someone takes this thread to their midwife and that it prevents another birthrape, somewhere, sometime.

I know many of you have caring and compassionate, repectful births with this woman. To which I can only scream, why me. Why, why, why.
#13 of 21 Old 09-13-2004, 02:20 PM

hey!
congrats on choosing homebirth
i wouldn't have had it any other way either
although i don't live in atlanta, i live in athens ga about 1 or so away, i had a homebirth too!
so have a couple of other ladies i know in this town
there are a lot of homebirth midwives in the metro atlanta area.
i "imported" my midwives from asheville because that is where i studied and had a strong bond with my sisters there.
anyway, the best source for homebirth midwives in ga
is susan hodges from citizens for midwifery contact her at:
1-888-236-4880
or check out her websight:
http://www.cfmidwifery.org/
it is an international org but hte president (susan hodges) is located right here in athens!
so she know the scoop.
if you are interested in anything else or want me to give my opinion on any midwives she suggests, let me know
i also can put you in contact with an excellent homebirth doula
good luck
feel free to pm me with an ?'s!
#14 of 21 Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM

i am sorry anony mommy, i did not read your post until after i had replied to the op
i just wanted to validate our sadness (after reading the whole thread, i seem to wisk by it rudely)
that is a horrific story
i was curious, what is a primip?
#15 of 21 Old 09-13-2004, 04:03 PM

It's someone who's having her first baby (a primipara).

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#16 of 21 Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 PM

I'm not going to address the abuse issue b/c I'm NAK & can't do it justice right now.

There is a wonderful homebirth midwife that acted as my doula. Her name is Terri, and she lives in Conyers (but she attended me at Cobb). You can find her listed at DONA or CAPPA. If not, pm me. She was *WONDERFUL*, & I'd love to have her attend my next birth.
#17 of 21 Old 10-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Issues between individuals should be resolved off the boards. I have removed a post that is airing a personal experience and addressing the individual. This is not an appropriate use of the boards and we will not host such posts.

~Cynthia

#18 of 21 Old 10-23-2005, 11:42 PM

xenomoama, I would love a midwife that acted as a doula! I'm in Cherokee co...and new to the area. Due in May and desperately trying to find a midwife that will let it be MY birth, not theirs...please give more info so I may contact Terri--email = mgbug27@yahoo.com
#19 of 21 Old 10-23-2005, 11:58 PM

Paloma,

tried to locate a midwife at the georgia friend of midwives site--where do I look for midwives in the area?
#20 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 AM

I am not local to the area. There was a previous post with Susan Hodges' contact information. She would be the best contact.
#21 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 AM

I was wrong, Terri was "in training", but isn't anymore. There are tons of great doulas that can be found at www.gabirthnetwork.org. You can also call/ e-mail to ask about midwives there - the birth network has all types of birth professionals. If you PM me, I can see if there's some midwife info I can give you. I am pregnant and in the process of locating a HB m/w myself. I have a lot of names, but thats b/c I'm a member of the birth community (or was). I'd need to make sure it was ok to give it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page