breastpumping for natural induction? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2002, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with breast pumping as a way to stimulate the nipples and bring on labor? I'm 41 weeks with my first, and my midwifery practice will only let me go to 42 weeks without inducing at the hospital (and that's only if I pass the non-stress test and ultrasounds with flying colors). I so do not want to go to the hospital and go the chemical route......bleah. I also don't want to rush my baby, but I'm more than a little worried about the negative effects on him of a high-tech hospital labor and delivery.

I'm already 80% effaced and 2 cm dilated, so I know my body's getting ready, but my contractions have been nothing to write home about and certainly not steady. I've been taking evening primrose oil and PN-6 religiously, enlisting DH's help for getting some natural prostaglandins, and had an acupuncture treatment yesterday. Manual nipple stimulation hasn't done anything except make me a little sore.

I just got my Medela Pump-In-Style breastpump in the mail, and am thinking of trying it out as per Penny Simkin's suggestion in Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn - any thoughts/advice on this or other methods?

Thanks! (I'm also cross-posting to the I'm Pregnant board).

Jane

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried it. I felt really bad about pumping out colostrum. I was scared I would run out before baby came. : Wait 2 more weeks and see how muddled your thinking becomes. It did start some contractions but I had better luck with manual nipple stim. Try rolling the nipples between your thumb and forefinger. It hurts a little but nothing compared to pitocin . Before she starts chemicals, have her try stripping the membranes. That might be enough to help. And if you are already there and they are ready to induce you might as well have them break the water and let that have an hour or so to start working since you will get induced anyway. I also used black and blue cohosh. "The wise woman herbal for the chld bearing year" has suggestions on how to use it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I've had my membranes stripped and swept twice now (a week apart) - boy what an unfun experience but as you say it's better than the alternative (from what I hear). I've also had two acupuncture treatments, and have started the breastpumping (although will try manual stimulation too with a little lubricant like Lansinoh or something, it's just too uncomfortable)....but nothing much so far seems to be working.

On the other hand, I found out that my midwives will let me go to 43 weeks, not 42, so that relieves the pressure somewhat. Both the non-stress test and the biophysical profile came back just fine, so no need to jump the gun or anything.

Here's another question, though - the midwife I saw yesterday (I think I'm going to start calling them medwives, because they definitely are very medicalized) suggested that at my Monday appt. they put a Foley catheter into my uterus and inflate the little balloon, and leave it in for 24 hours, to provide a continuous stretch-and-sweep type mechanism to stimulate the membranes to release prostaglandins. Anyone ever heard of this or had it done? I'm concerned that the catheter might be a really good conduit for bacteria into the uterus, esp. since I'm Group B strep positive.

Thanks, Jane

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 07:06 PM

Ugh, Jane, stay away from that. Sounds thoroughly invasive. Why won't your mw let your body progress at a natural rate? So many people advise against a "normal" sweep and that one sounds horrid.
#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 07:25 PM

I just had my 3rd baby, and I tried EVERYTHING to bring on labor. My first 2 came at 39 weeks, so I was expecting that for this baby. Nothing worked. I wasn't really having any contractions the week before she was born. I had a few contractions the day I went into labor, but they were hours apart. Then, suddenly, I started having contractions. Within an hour they were 2 mins apart, and she was born 5 hours after the 1st contraction. It was worth the wait to go in naturally. I know how miserable it is to wait for a baby, but my theory is that they come when they're ready and the other stuff is just coincidental. I had my membranes stripped with my first two and for one it "worked" and for the other it didn't. Make sure your due date is correct!
Good luck!
#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2002, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bummer.

I was two weeks late with my second (after being 6 weeks early with my first) andi t sucked. It is good your midwives wil let you go a little further. Thet "device" just sounds freaky to me. I would stay away from it.

Good luck. I will be sending warm contracting thoughts your way.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 8 Old 08-02-2002, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

You're totally right, I've decided against the Foley catheter, and anything else that is invasive - no more stretch and sweeps! From your posts, and from re-reading Henci Goer's chapter on induction, I've renewed my commitment to only doing things that I know won't hurt (EPO, acupuncture, sex, etc.). I'd walk, but it's been 90s during the day, 80s at night with 110% humidity, and I just can't face it....

I don't know why I considered the Foley cath for even five seconds - I guess it's still hard for me to be assertive in the face of medical "expert advice!" I'm getting a little nervous about how these mid/medwives will be during the birth.....there's 7 in the practice so you get whoever's on call. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get one of the ones I like, although I do have a great doula coming with me.

In the mean time, I've decided to read as many mystery novels as I can cram into the days before Evan decides to arrive - that, and surf these boards obsessively!

Thanks fso much for the encouragement and support - Jane

#8 of 8 Old 08-02-2002, 08:00 PM

All I can say is good luck to you! I reached my 43 weeks with my mw's and had to go into the hospital for pitocin. I was actually a couple days shy when we decided to do it - it was our first and I was so stressed out by everyone questioning me, and we tried EVERYTHING people suggested. We didn't use blue/black cohosh until the night before I went into the hospital. All I ever got from any type of self induction was a few random and fairly mild contractions (I didn't think they were mild, until I felt the real thing - lol!)
Anyway, my midwife said next time they will try some herbal things earlier to get me going... I was kind of fortunate in that they found a CNM at a smaller hospital to take me in, she was more understanding than a regular doc I think. I had pitocin, and nobody told me how much it sucked!!! I really wish I had been informed. I did it with no drugs though - I didn't know pitocin hurt worse, I just thought that labor really really really sucked! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page