Any info. on using a midwife/doula (and possibly homebirthing) and Kaiser insurance? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm trying to find out some information on how I can work with the insurance I will have when I get pregnant, and deliver. All of this is so confusing! First off, I wondered if Kaiser has any decent birthing centers? Ones that will respect my birthing wishes, and has birthing tubs? Does Kaiser cover any costs of doulas or midwifes? And what about homebirthing? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting any reimbursement if I did a homebirth with a midwife (after all Kaiser is quite an "in network" insurance plan) but even if I pay for the homebirth out of pocket what is the insurance agency going to say when *poof* we want to add a baby when we didn't use their services for to give birth? Can they refuse to cover the baby then? Its not like I could lie and say it was an accidental homebirth, because I have no intentions of running to the hospital right after I give birth (unless of course there is a medical NEED to do so). A good midwife will be able to let me know that I and my babe are ok, so why should I go to a hospital I avoided right after birthing?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide! I know I'm really preparing early here (we should start ttc in feb.) but thats just kinda what I do

-Lisa

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#2 of 4 Old 08-08-2002, 12:18 PM

I can only give you my experience with Kaiser... I used to live in Fremont and the first 3 of my children were all born at Kaiser Hayward. They (at the time) had only LDR rooms and it was hard to get into them, not an option if it was your first labor. Don't know if it's still that way...

My third child was born after only 1hr 23min of labor and I almost didn't make it to the hospital... She was crowning in the parking lot. The nurses at Kaiser told me that had I had her at home Kaiser would have covered her being added to insurance, however they would not have covered her if she had any complications.

Their rules may have changed, however. I was last with Kaiser back in the latter part of 98, before we moved to WA, where the closest Kaiser is 3 hours away. I would highly suggest calling the administration number on your card and asking them for a copy of your coverage statement.

Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 AM

I just delivered a beautiful baby girl at Kaiser on Sunset and can not say enough about how amazing the experience was. The facility has 2 midwives whom you can choose to see for your prenatal visits and who can deliver your child.
That is about all that will be covered by your insurance, but they are very flexible and accomodating of your wishes.
Their birthing center is great and has only been full twice.
Everybody who saw me at the hospital asked for my birthing plan and completely respected it. They even let me take home the placenta, which is against their policy.
One of the doulas commented that my birth was the most gentle and serene hospital birth she had attended. The staff came to check on me very occasionally and left me to labor with my husband, doulas and mom.
I HIGHLY recommend a doula. I was very well read about labor and delivery and know my body, so I didn't really need a lot of assistance. However, having somebody there to suggest alternate positions and just let you know that everything is okay is a very valuable thing. Twice I got nervous about whether I could proceed with no meds and she reassured me that I was doing great and finished with the hard work. If you can afford a doula, do yourself and your baby that favor. If you are in the Southern California area, check our Tracy at Bestdoulas.com. Her page is infinitely helpful.
I hope my info was useful to you.
#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 04:11 PM

My sister is pregnant right now and has KP insurance. She is seeing a midwife who is the only midwife in that whole coverage area. She likes her a lot but they said that if she's not on call for that night she will get an OB/Gyn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page